986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   smoke (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/20695-smoke.html)

merccc 05-19-2009 10:59 AM

smoke

Hi can any one help have only owend my 2005 boxster s for 4 weeks now. Why do i get a large puff of blue smoke out of the exhaust on start up after a time of not using the car,say over night or 4 or 5 hours.Then i can drive the car as hard as i like but no more smoke till the next day,or leaving it for 4 or 5 hours.
Is this normal or have i broke somthing.?

Dave S. 05-19-2009 11:40 AM

My 03 Boxster S with 15k miles does the exact same thing. I recently had the 15,000 mile service done and the dealer mechanic told me the car is perfect. I guess it's normal because of the way the engine is designed, with the cylinders low.

JFP in PA 05-19-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merccc
Hi can any one help have only owend my 2005 boxster s for 4 weeks now. Why do i get a large puff of blue smoke out of the exhaust on start up after a time of not using the car,say over night or 4 or 5 hours.Then i can drive the car as hard as i like but no more smoke till the next day,or leaving it for 4 or 5 hours.
Is this normal or have i broke somthing.?

All M96 engines do this......

kabel 05-19-2009 12:37 PM

Welcome to the 986forum!

Poke around a bit (search) this is a frequent first post, the occasional plume is a common attribute of our engine design.

i.e. Cloud of Smoke

merccc 05-20-2009 12:02 PM

smoke

Thanks folks that has put my mind at rest.I must say my last car was an sl 55 amg and it being a great car and silly fast,my boxster puts more of a smile on my face. :)

speedyellow 05-20-2009 12:13 PM

I have a 2005 base boxster since new...

white smoke after seating for more than 2 weeks, overnight or 4 to 5 hrs later I'll get it check.

tonycarreon 06-10-2009 03:23 PM

this one freaked me out today...

car had been sitting for a few days in the garage and i started it before opening the garage door. open the garage door, pull out then realized i forgot something in the house. went back in the house through the garage and i swear i thought my house was on fire. realized it was the car and freaked out again, but after a few minutes the smoke cleared then remembered reading it's somewhat common for a little smoke on startup after sitting idle for a little while.

after driving and pulling over and restarting no smoke, just need to remember next time to open the garage door ( one car garage barely big enough for the car and a ladder... ) :p

jmatta 06-10-2009 06:26 PM

Box engines (horizontally opposed cylinders)...guess what; when the car sits, the oil seeps pass the low tension piston rings and when fired up, it burns off.

I had my S sitting on a slight downhill slope (sideways) and when I fired it up, I brought out full mosquito abatement...they were going to call the safety crew!