Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2009, 02:40 AM   #1

boxster alternator/vr problems

Car decided to play up last week due to a flat battery.

Deduced through a voltmeter across the battery that the alternator/vr had failed as there was a reading of 12.8v with engine off and 11.8v with the engine running. Quicky followed by flashing dash lights, erratic spoiler etc

So 3 days in a car garage, 30 miles and approx £680 later!!!!! (inc new battery and new alternator) have exactly the same problem,

Having not carried the work out myself is the voltage regulator integral to the alternator would it be exchanged (provided) with the new alternator.

I am furious with myself for not checkin the voltage readings having received the car back from the garage to see it was all working.

If the VR and alternator were replaced as an integral item and are presumed to be "okay" when fitted is there anything that could cause either the new alternator/vr to fail due to the cars operation?

Edd

eddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:22 PM   #2

eddster - the vr is integrated with the alternator.
You have every right to take the car back to the garage where the work was undertaken and get them to repair the fault. Its not unknown for a new alternator to fail under load plus they may have fitted a re-manufactured unit which has an even greater chance of failing.

Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote