Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
Porscheectomy

OBD2 Data Logger for the Tech Heads

I bought a Pocketlogger for troubleshooting on a different car but it works on the Boxster too so I thought I'd share. It can read and clear codes but the really cool thing is that it can log operation of the car. You can watch and record timing, load, O2 sensor operation, speed and various other things. It plugs into the OBD2 port (you have to pull the connector out of the bracket to fit) and you have to pick up a PalmPilot, but you can get a cheap used one from the list of compatible units.

http://www.pocketlogger.com/index.php?pid=plobdii

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:20 AM   #2

Have you run across the REV app for the iphone, yet? It promises an ODB wireless for the iphone that allows reading/resetting codes, reads real time info from the engine, has internal iphone accelerometer data (acceleration, gps mapping, g-forces, time to 60/100, etc).

I'd be interested in comments from others as to how useful this iphone app will be.

Wireless ODB claims to start shipping in November.

http://devtoaster.com/products/rev/index.html

Jim
Jimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi
Have you run across the REV app for the iphone, yet? It promises an ODB wireless for the iphone that allows reading/resetting codes, reads real time info from the engine, has internal iphone accelerometer data (acceleration, gps mapping, g-forces, time to 60/100, etc).

I'd be interested in comments from others as to how useful this iphone app will be.

Wireless ODB claims to start shipping in November.

http://devtoaster.com/products/rev/index.html

Jim
That looks cool, but I didn't see that it mentions that you can save the data. There's a huge benefit to being able to save the data and analyze it later.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:32 AM   #4

Rev by devtoaster

This looks to be up and running in full featured form now, and the hardware side is more reasonable now due to a California company's offering in the listed compatible hardware.
I think I'm going to grab this setup since my iPhone is always on me anyway.

I'll post a review when I do get the hardware.
Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:23 PM   #5

I was the first person to purchase the original wifi Rev hardware (from ElmCan) when it was released and the developer gave me a copy of the software. Through the few revisions that have been made, the bugs have been eliminated and with either an ipod touch or iphone, the Rev software and hardware package works great.

If you want something more full featured, the Rev hardware also works with Carcode Mueller's ScanTool software (which I also have).

As a datalogger, the cheapest* is the Innovate OC-1, but it is bug laden and very hard to get running *correctly*, but once working, it is great. *cheapest without the cost of a laptop to log the data.

Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
cnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote