986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Lil Bastard you usually come through (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/20614-lil-bastard-you-usually-come-through.html)

clb0099 05-11-2009 07:45 PM

Lil Bastard you usually come through

Ok.. So i recently picked up my car from getting painted and started it up. While starting it up the car gave a high pitched screech sound. It has recently been doing this but it doesn't seem like the key is sticking (which i would get it would be the ignition switch). Alittle background I have had my alternator replaced and a new battery less than 1k miles . The clutch has 4k miles on it. I am thinking it's the starter but I am not sure. I am not sure if the weather has anything to do with it . What i mean is if it's cold it does it and if it's hot does as well. Anyone have any idea ?

Lil bastard 05-11-2009 08:38 PM

Well just because the ignition switch isn't sticking doesn't rule it out. They can go tits up and never stick.

But, I too am suspecting the starter. This is pretty classic when the pinion gear and the solenoid plunger get gunked up with dirt and dust. The solenoid isn't available separately and the whole unit is fairly expensive. Consider having it rebuilt locally for half the price. On many cars, pulling it and cleaning it with solvent and compressed air, then re-greasing it can give it a new life, but since it's not the easiest swap, I'd opt for a rebuild straight away and avoid possible added frustration should it only continue to work a short time.

Now, there is something else also creeping in my thoughts and that has to do with the new alternator, well two things actually.

The first is the belt. It could squeak, especially on startup and since the alternator was swapped, it may be tensioned differently than before (read probably is). This could lead the idler or tensioning pulley (either or both) to have developed a bad bearing.

Next is the new alternator (it's bearing actually) which cannot be ruled out either. Just because it's new, or rebuilt, means little. Mechanical devices usually fail either in their early life (due to mfg., quality control issues) or in their old age (simply worn out).

Since any of these possibilities involves some $$ and some semi-serious wrenching, I'd pull the engine firewall cover and try to isolate it before just throwing a random fix at it. It's the smartest way to go.

:cheers:

stateofidleness 05-11-2009 09:43 PM

sounds like belt not seated properly on alternator pulley/idler pulley

Sputter 05-12-2009 02:49 AM

You fail to mention year and if it's a base or S. (it can make a difference)
The alternator pulley is different for each. S has a clutch pulley while the base has a fixed pulley.

eightsandaces 05-12-2009 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stateofidleness
sounds like belt not seated properly on alternator pulley/idler pulley

One way to prove or disprove this, observe whether the squeal is sensitive to the engine RPM's