986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Misc. reviews vs. forums (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/20577-misc-reviews-vs-forums.html)

myfirstporsche 05-09-2009 04:26 PM

Misc. reviews vs. forums

Before I purchased my 1999 Boxster, I read reviews on kbb.om and a few others. The forums seem to focus on issues (as they should) and the reviews seem to include problems and positives of ownership. Like I read in another post, people tend to come here when problems arise. Obviously there are other items on the forum menu for general discussion and such (which I enjoy). The KBB.com reviews average 4.8 out of 5 stars. People rave about having 100K + miles without problems.

I went on some other internet "group" and they bad mouthed the Boxster so bad, people thanked them because they changed their mind about Boxster ownership.

I just thought I would throw it out there because I got freaked out over this engine failure thing like may others. I am just going to drive it without worry and hope for the best! :cheers:

mikes_box 05-09-2009 06:07 PM

As everyone says on the forums- drive it like you stole it!! Btw saw your sig and great color choice but I may be a bit biased on that... So what are they running for now a days? Post some pics...

70Sixter 05-11-2009 10:11 AM

The M96 engine has potential problems like most high strung engines. You seldom see anyone stand up and post that they have had no problems.

After 39 years of Porsche ownership I've seen many from chain tensioner failures to exploding airboxes and many more.

You are right to choose to enjoy a very fun little car. :cheers:

I live in hurricane country because I love the beach more than I worry about what could happen.

RandallNeighbour 05-11-2009 06:41 PM

My 1997 base boxster has had every single problem you can find and I still love the car.

It could use a lot more HP, but other than that, it's a blast to drive and own.

You can't believe everything you read.

Fred Demara 05-11-2009 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myfirstporsche
I am just going to drive it without worry and hope for the best! :cheers:

that's the spirit. Smoke, drink, and have sex with "ladies of the night" without a condom. Live for the now...worry later.

I'm on my 3rd engine, and I still love the car.

Perfectlap 05-12-2009 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70Sixter
The M96 engine has potential problems like most high strung engines. You seldom see anyone stand up and post that they have had no problems.

After 39 years of Porsche ownership I've seen many from chain tensioner failures to exploding airboxes and many more.

You are right to choose to enjoy a very fun little car. :cheers:

I live in hurricane country because I love the beach more than I worry about what could happen.

Which car had the exploding air box?

Fred Demara 05-12-2009 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Which car had the exploding air box?

I believe he might be referring to the e38 BMW 7series. The fan clutch would seize, causing the fan blades to spin at the same speed as the crank (which, they weren't designed to do).

The blades were plastic, so when they came off, it seemed like an explosion. Some owners reported the blades penetrated thru the hood...the airbox would "explode", the radiator would be damaged, all belts and hoses needed replacing...4-5k of work.

So things could be worse...

70Sixter 05-12-2009 12:37 PM

73.5 - 83 911 had the exploding airbox cause by CIS cars backfiring. Fix was to install a pop-off valve to vent the pressure.

If anyone has one of these cars w/o the pop-off you should install one ASAP.

Pelican and probably Performance Parts should have them.

NickCats 05-12-2009 12:53 PM

Pop Valve :

http://www.************************************************************/product.asp?pf%5Fid=P901522&dept%5Fid=4266#

Nick

myfirstporsche 05-12-2009 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred Demara
that's the spirit. Smoke, drink, and have sex with "ladies of the night" without a condom. Live for the now...worry later.

I'm on my 3rd engine, and I still love the car.

LOL...I won't go that crazy, but I will enjoy the car....I love it more everyday!! :rolleyes:

fatmike 05-12-2009 05:56 PM

I turned the key to start my Volvo 850 at 33,000 miles. The battery exploded (literally) and sprayed nasty chemicals all over the inside of my engine. The dealer replaced it and some hoses, etc. under warranty. Funny thing happened at 66,000 miles...the EXACT same thing.

I traded that car in at 98,000 miles.(!)

The Volvo was a terrible car. It was actually annoying to drive. I paid more to buy it than my Boxster. I definitely spent more to maintain it than the Boxster (that can change, but so far the Boxster has been very reliable). The Volvo got worse gas mileage, and it blew up on a regular basis.

All cars are a bad investment. Buy the one you want and can afford.

After a month or two you'll grow to trust your Boxster, then you'll realize that its among the best cars ever made and you wouldn't trade it for anything...I can tell you that I am 100% certain my next car will be a Boxster (or Cayman) too. No regrets.

silverboxter 05-12-2009 06:33 PM

i just passed 100k on my base '02. i bought it with 62k. only problem was the water pump at 70k. it's a daily driver....80 miles round trip. nothing but smiles!