Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 03:12 PM   #1

Wife needs a new car help me pick!

It's getting near to that time again. Our SUV is up on lease soon and wife needs a new car. Not going to lease most likely this time due to obvious reasons... not many manufacturers are leasing cars anymore.

Anyway, here are our choices... pre-owned of course. 25 k cap.
What would you go with and why??

Any suggestions will be welcomed!

2006 X3 3.0
2006 BMW 325 xi 4dr
2005 Porsche Cayenne S with higher mileage...50k or so
2005 -2007 VW Toureg most likely 6cyl possibly 8cyl if out there
Newer Lexus IS250 AWD
Newer Honda Pilot or CRV... my least favorite... although nice vehicles

---------------
Cheers!

AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #2

I go with the "2006 BMW 325 xi 4dr...good for all....wife/family/shopping...etc.

03' 986 Midnight Blue Metallic
Light Weight Flywheel | Tinted Windows and Windscreen
Painted Bumperettes | 550 Spyder Grille Kit

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9sTq_sN1KDw/Si...2009%20055.jpg
crios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:58 PM   #3

My wife's "family car" is a 2007 MDX w/nav. It's not a 25k car to buy new, but I bet you could find an 07 in that price point. It is an excellent family car.

300hp V6, SH-AWD. The nav system is excellent. We've been really happy with it.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOGUY
It's getting near to that time again. Our SUV is up on lease soon and wife needs a new car. Not going to lease most likely this time due to obvious reasons... not many manufacturers are leasing cars anymore.

Anyway, here are our choices... pre-owned of course. 25 k cap.
What would you go with and why??

Any suggestions will be welcomed!

2006 X3 3.0
2006 BMW 325 xi 4dr
2005 Porsche Cayenne S with higher mileage...50k or so
2005 -2007 VW Toureg most likely 6cyl possibly 8cyl if out there
Newer Lexus IS250 AWD
Newer Honda Pilot or CRV... my least favorite... although nice vehicles

---------------
Cheers!
Sounds like you are going larger, but I'd suggest a mini cooper S.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #5

I know it's your least favorite, but I have 2 friends with CRVs, and the vehicles have been rock-solid. No problems, decent fuel economy, good storage and decent crash rating.

The sensible choice is rarely the appealing choice.
Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #6

My wife just mentioned how much she likes the Cayenne...randomly, out of nowhere.

Just a thought -- ask your wife what she wants -- not us.

The single most important criteria for me is fun+fuel efficent. I would consider a new Jetta TDI in that price range.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:10 PM   #7

My wife has had the IS250 and v8 Touareg.. Neither fit the bill of our expanding family and VW service was awful. I mean really awful and really frequent. Brake job = 1200 dollars.

Shes in a GX470 now and loves it. Not nearly as cool as the rest but the most comfy and easy to maintain.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:27 AM   #8

Garage
I was once told by a girl that there are 3 things a girl looks for in a car.

1. Leather seats
2. Vanity mirror with lights
3. Heated seats

They are indifferent about the rest.

I'm not saying all women are like that but a good portion of them are

I would go with the 325 xi
2011 Mercedes Benz GLK350 - Gunmetal Grey
ramo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:04 AM   #9

Hate to go against the grain

The best car in my opinion is the Ford Escape Hybrid!!We just changed cars from a Nissan 240SX to a Boxster and from a Honda Accord to the Ford Escape Hybrid 07.

The Escape is a remarkable SUV with all the space and excellent mileage. It gets 36MPG in the city and 29 MPG on the highway. This is because you recover more energy in stop and go driving. Believe me it doesn't skimp on power and it's incredible at a stop light when neither the engine or electric motor are operating and there is complete silence.

This is an overlooked Hybrid with Toyota's Prius taking all the limelight. Ours also has the navigation system plus the display showing gas consumption, and a diagram of the hybrid system showing what is running and when it is charging the batteries. You cannot tell if the engine has taken over from the electric motor - it is seamless!!

I paid $11,000 for a 2007 Escape Hybrid. The owner wanted the new Ford Fusion Hybrid with the incredible 80 MPG. Recently they ran a test with professional drivers around the D.C/Virginia area and was able to get 1445 miles on a tank of 15 gal! Using the same techniques on the Escape will also jack up the MPG as well.
ChefCarnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:58 AM   #10

Why all the high HP cars?

In sorting through your choice list, it struck me that most had low MPG and thus might not be a good long term buy and drive choice (for me).

It also left me wondering how big your family is, do you ever go off road, how many vacations you take, the proportion of city versus open road driving you do, etc. IOW, I didn't know what your needs are. Choosing without knowing is impossible for me.

Mazda makes some very nice SUVs with some nice features. I've had good luck with Mazdas in the past. No recent experience but the reviews are good and they were SUV of the year a bit back and I'll bet go for less than some of your choices. Fairly high style for a SUV too.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:56 PM   #11
Track rat

Garage
Lots of good choices in that $$ range. I don't know your wife or your needs. Do you need 4x4 or just winter capable? How important is the "cushy factor" to your wife? Dog hauler? Style points?

My wife drives a 05 Lexus RX330 and couldn't be happier. I call it the leather couch on wheels but she loves it. Decent room for five, dog capable, light snow capable (fwd), surfboard capable, good road manners, comfy seats, quiet, decent gas mileage 21-26, she thinks she looks good in it, runs flawlessly, and will last forever. A good all purpose daily driver/ grocery getter/ travel car. Give it a look. Drive it and the IS250 and let her pick the one she likes.

Last edited by Topless; 05-08-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:17 PM   #12

is it me or does it seem like every time you pull up to an SUV its either a woman driving or a really fat guy? And 90% of the time they are the only passenger

I know many women who have SUVs because they "feel safer". I tell every last one of them that at 75mph they are LESS safe in an SUV than a nimble road car with shorter braking distances.

its some weird pyschology. Less safety, poorer fuel economy, really bad resale when gas goes back to $4. I'm already seeing a 20% jump in gas the last month.
How quickly we forget....

p.s.
Get her a big sedan instead. Lexus or a 5 series. Great deals out there for the second handers.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #13

I 2nd Mike

Just bought my wife a Mazda CX-7 in black cherry. Very nice x-over. Not huge, 4 cylinder turbo, moon roof, very nice Bose sound system for about 20k. Or over 5K less than I bought a Explorer for in 1995.

Oh and they threw in the rubber tray for the back - great for my daughter who rides horses and can just throw in her saddle and gear.
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:06 AM   #14

S40 Volvo, more room in the trunk than most SUV's, 29 MPH, good looking,safe, decent to drive and could be had cheap. I just picked up a fully loaded 06 with 19k on the clock, still under factory warantee for $16,900 and it looks like a brand new car. I also saw an 06 AWD T5 with 26k on the clock for $16K but it was a NYC car which meant that the front and rear bumpers were all beat up, but it ran great and was a hoot to drive. Lots are going off lease now and they are looking to sell. Having some money now means great bargins. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:58 AM   #15

A little more info.

No kids yet, but working on that... most likely in 2010.

Mike wanted to know why the high HP cars... well because I get to
drive it too. Our Envoy has 275 now so that is the range I would like to stay in.. wife agrees.

We dont need the 4x4 but it is nice to have for the 1 snow storm per year we get in NJ. Wife prefers all wheel drive by the way.

Cargo capacity, need enough to go to Lowes on weekends and the occasional Upstate New York trip to visit wifes family.

And my original list was wife approved. She likes all of the cars on it... I merely rattled off suggestions.

I believe at this point, she is pretty set on the X3... plus BMW has .9% financing right now! Not bad at all.

Thanks for the help. It is cool to see everyones different suggestions.
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:51 AM   #16

Oh No!!!!!!!!

The boxster forum is turning green!

Sportscar forum is the last place I thought people would be jumoing on the low HP bandwagon. You want to talk practical and money saving practices, dont keep sports cars in your garage for once a week use.

Why have high HP? Because it's faster, safer for merging, more fun, more capable.
Why have AWD? Same reasons
Why have a large SUV? 99% of the time, in my wife's 7 seater, its her and the 1 year old baby... sure they can fit in a miata, but a miata can't tow my 21 ft boat (yesterday) or drive 7 people for 60 miles to dinner (last night). Or fit 5 palm trees in the back (this morning at lowes).

Not everyone wants a little wussy slow car that can be crushed every time they are in accident... And I dont buy the safer because it's nimble BS.

I own one of the smallest, best braking and handling cars on the road and believe me when I say I am MUCH safer in any of my 3 large 4wd SUVs. You can only dodge situations that you have control over. Someone running a red light in a large truck would have a much easier time crushing a car than a SUV.

I do agree that a large Sedan is a nice way to go to.. Mercedes E or S and Lexus ES and LS are all incredible cars and are large enough to be safe in a good accident... I was in a highspeed 8 car pileup in an eclass that gave me loads of confidence in mercedes safety.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #17

Send a message via MSN to Darkhamr
I agree with Nola. Buying vehicles is a personal preference and should be your choice. I'd only ask for opinions on service and reliability based on others experience.

On another note I find it humorous how nearly everyone has turned 'automotive green' in such a short time. I do drive a 30+mpg vehicle for the boring commute to work everyday, but also own a SUV and my Boxster for everything else. I still need my cars to make me smile when I drive it not just save me a little gas.
Darkhamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:52 PM   #18

"On another note I find it humorous how nearly everyone has turned 'automotive green' in such a short time. I do drive a 30+mpg vehicle for the boring commute to work everyday, but also own a SUV and my Boxster for everything else. I still need my cars to make me smile when I drive it not just save me a little gas."

------------------

My Boxster is a daily driver. The '09 S gets over 30 MPG on the highway, which is amazing for a Porsche with over 300 HP (oh, and it has its engine in the right place).
Old 05-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #19

Go for 2004-2005 Infiniti G35...you can get one with around 22K miles on it fully loaded. Sporty and reliable....
Old 05-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #20

Thumbs up

Lexus 250..... what a blast to drive. The BMW X3 or X5 are fun as well. My friend is a BMW tech and owns the X5 and said iths little problems.

myfirstporsche is offline   Reply With Quote