986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Buying Boxter Online (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/20546-buying-boxter-online.html)

Petermcd 05-06-2009 01:50 PM

Buying Boxter Online

I think I may have found the boxter I want to buy. Has the color and options I want and seems like a good car from what I can tell so far. Seems like all the ones that look good to me are far away. :eek:

Is this crazy? I will get the PPI and fly out to test drive it. It will cost almost $1000 to get it delivered. Driving it cross country seems a little crazy. Any advice please.

Also - What is the difference between "Traction Control" and PASM or "PSM"

cas951 05-06-2009 02:05 PM

What year is the car where is the car located? I can't beleive you can't find anything closer.

Local dealers here in the Bay Area are offering 15k off MSRP for new ones.

Petermcd 05-06-2009 02:30 PM

Yes I think I may be temporarily insane. Just realized it will cost between 1500-2000 just to get the car to my door after flights, delivery, and PPI costs.

I am looking for a dark blue or possibly seal gray boxter S with dark top between 2000 and 2004. Like the dark interior or natural - not red and the grey....so so...

Not required but prefer - heated seats, TC or PSM, Air conditioning, Leather on dash and doors

Also nice but not required would be CD player, xenon or litronic lights.

I live on Cape Cod and all the best boxters seems to be in Chicago, Texas, or California......grrrrrr

cas951 05-06-2009 02:40 PM

There's so many for sale here so it's a buyr's market. Since you live in Cape Cod I would recommend to stay with the 03-04 since they have glass rear window. Not sure how the plastic rear window will hold up there. Besides 03-04 are updated from the 00-02.

BTW: I visited Cape Cod once in January 2007. Yep January. Didn't know any better. I had a Sunday to kill time during a business trip and my co-worker suggested to go to Cape Cod and it was only 1-2 hr drive or less from Westwood. Little did we know that there's no activity there during that time of the year.

Aron in Toronto 05-06-2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petermcd

Also - What is the difference between "Traction Control" and PASM or "PSM"

TC = Traction Control, optional on model years 1997-2000

PSM = Porsche Stability Management replaces "TC", optional on 2001-current. At some point PSM became standard.

PASM = Porsche Active Suspension Management. Allows suspension to be tuned via dash switch from sport (firm) to comfort (softer)

Here is a kink to a Boxster buyers guide that covers many of these options.

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/buyingorsellinga1997-2004boxster

bmussatti 05-06-2009 03:53 PM

Petermcd, there is a 2007 Boxster S for sale that is listed in our Chicago PCA newsletter.

Silver/Black/Black
Tip
Bose
Climate control
Heated seats
18" wheels
Always garaged
Never seen rain

For:

$35,000

Owner is Ken Stonecipher- 309-383-2353
kstone@mchsi.com

spyder803 05-06-2009 03:55 PM

I recently purchased my 2003 S online. I bought a one way ticket and flew out there to check the car out with no return plans even made. Worked out great, no problems with the car, it was as advertised and came with all maintenance records which I had them fax to me for review prior to flying out there.

Bob O 05-06-2009 07:07 PM

In 05 I bought my 01 online. I am in KC, the car was in Pittsburgh. (I've actually bought two cars this way, and for some strange reason they were both in Pittsburgh. Weird) Had a PPI done by a dealer there, and had the owner (a dealer) take about a hundred close up pics of every part of the car, from every angle. Everything looked fine, and the PPI was good, so I bought a one way ticket out there and drove it back. All went perfectly. The only thing I didn't have done that I should have, was had it aligned. The tires were newish when I picked it up, but totally and completely worn out when I got home. Bought new tires, got it aligned and it's been fine since. OH.. and driving it home was a blast and a very good way to get to know the car.

If I had to do it again, I would. Just be sure you get a PPI. Maybe someone here is close to where the car is located. You might be able to get them to take a look at it for you before you fly out. But you STILL need a PPI!

Bob