Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 09:38 AM   #1

Dog harnesses?

I'm sure I'm gonna get booed off the forum for this, but... on occasion I'd like to bring my dog along with me, wondering if anyone has tried any of the dog seatbelt setups out there?

Recommendations for dirt cheap seat covers would also be appreciated.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I don't think anyone will boo you.
I don't know of any Boxster specific dog harness and I am sure a generic one would work fine. But I would far less concerned with the dog jumping out of the car, than with his nails ruining the interior, especially the doors if he stands up on the armrest. I've seen paper dog seat covers for like $2 at Walmart, but a beach towel would work too.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yimmy149
I'm sure I'm gonna get booed off the forum for this, but... on occasion I'd like to bring my dog along with me, wondering if anyone has tried any of the dog seatbelt setups out there?

Recommendations for dirt cheap seat covers would also be appreciated.

-james
Try the Dr. Foster & Smith website; they have a pretty good line of car seat harnesses, pet seat covers and the like, and they are a great company to do business with.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #4

I bought a nice dog harness manufactured by a company called "Ruffwear" (For Dogs on the Go).
The harness style I bought is really designed for walking, but it includes some nicely padded chest and stomach straps and it has a handle in the back, designed to lift the dog with, that you can thread a seat belt through. The harness is also designed to hold doggie saddlebags.

It was the best fitting harness I could find for my particular dog but it wasn't cheap and I plan to use it with a seat belt when she's riding in my Jeep with me. I'd recommend it.

http://www.ruffwear.com/Web-Master-Harness?sc=2&category=1131
Old 05-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses! I do have a regular harness and a a ruffwear (I think) hiking pack for her, so if nothing else maybe I can use one of those. I will checkout the Dr Foster site.

Good point on the claws scratching other surfaces. My mountain bike forum had recommended some canvas booties for running on gravel, but it sounds like I could use them in the car also.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
Old 05-07-2009, 01:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yimmy149
Good point on the claws scratching other surfaces. My mountain bike forum had recommended some canvas booties for running on gravel, but it sounds like I could use them in the car also.

-james

WOW! Thanks for the great idea James!!! I just got a 911 with full leather interior and I would like to take my two small dogs with me sometimes in the back. I've been searching the Net for a rear cover that would fit in the 911, but with no luck. The problem is that the side sills are all leather and the dogs love to look out the window and I can just see that leather getting destroyed by their claws. I don't worry about dog hair, just their nails. Well I think you just solved my problem for me. I can simply but booties on them and have no worries.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S.
I bought a nice dog harness manufactured by a company called "Ruffwear" (For Dogs on the Go).
The harness style I bought is really designed for walking, but it includes some nicely padded chest and stomach straps and it has a handle in the back, designed to lift the dog with, that you can thread a seat belt through. The harness is also designed to hold doggie saddlebags.

It was the best fitting harness I could find for my particular dog but it wasn't cheap and I plan to use it with a seat belt when she's riding in my Jeep with me. I'd recommend it.

http://www.ruffwear.com/Web-Master-Harness?sc=2&category=1131
I did see there is an add for some nice looking dog boots at trhe bottom of the harness add I posted. I bought some cheap boots for my dog and they were pretty worthless. I see these ones actually appear to have a tread sole on them.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #8

Garage
Warning:

Be sure your dog is comfortable with whatever setup you buy.
Years ago my wife and I bought a harness that attached to the seatblet and was called the 'Dog Sitter'. The dog seemed fine with it while driving, but I ran in to a shop for 3 minutes and when I returned to the car he had chewed through the seat belt, wrapped the seatbelt around his legs, and panicked to the point that he relived himself on the front seat.
We re-named the product the 'dog s*itter', and did not use it again.
(the car was an old beater, so no major harm done)
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN 986
Be sure your dog is comfortable with whatever setup you buy.
Years ago my wife and I bought a harness that attached to the seatblet and was called the 'Dog Sitter'. The dog seemed fine with it while driving, but I ran in to a shop for 3 minutes and when I returned to the car he had chewed through the seat belt, wrapped the seatbelt around his legs, and panicked to the point that he relived himself on the front seat.
We re-named the product the 'dog s*itter', and did not use it again.
(the car was an old beater, so no major harm done)
Good point, there is way too much fun stuff to chew on in the Boxster. In warmer weather I usually take my dog out and tie her to a bike rack or similar if I'm going to run into a store.

As far as boots go, there are a ton of different ones out there, and just like people-shoes, I think you've got to find the best one for the terrain and temperature that the dog will be exposed to. Keep in mind that their paws are also one of the only places they sweat, so fur lined boots on a hot day is not very nice.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
Old 05-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #10

Just to update, received the car harness (Dr Foster Smith 9N-3243) a while ago and did a test drive with the dog. Seemed to work pretty well, although I have my doubts as to how well it would hold up in a frontal crash. Some of it is made out of seat belt material, but it uses those cheap plastic buckles you see on backpacks, etc. The dog does slide around quite a bit on corners, I think she needs a racing harness.

Also, got some booties from dozenbooties.com, they seem like they will fit the bill. Beware that these are for sled dogs, so the "small" size is just right for my 70lb German Shepherd.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
Old 05-21-2009, 04:02 PM   #11

Based on this thread I just got booties for my dogs that are made out of some kind of felt-like material. They were $5 for a set of 4 at Petco. They wouldn't last if the dogs actually walked in them, the material looks too weak, but for use just in the car to keep them from scratching the leather I think they'll work great. I haven't had a chance to really try them other than test fitting them on the dogs...

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:40 PM   #12

Great thread. Just today I had to run to the local PetSmart and wanted to take my dog. I was keeping the top down, so I couldn't do it. I need to find a harness and a seat cover. I'll check the links.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:40 AM   #13

I have yet to take either of my dogs with me and leave the top down if I leave the car, have not had a need to yet , but I used to always take Dutchess , my Bulldog, with me when I went out with my MGB and she never took off nor did damage. I think that the damage and jumping out is a matter of the dog and how it is trained. BTW I live in the country and my dogs have free rein, out the back door, in the front door and go where they want as long as it's not in the house. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:42 AM   #14

I just came across this today: PetBuckle
Old 05-28-2009, 09:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Yi
That looks like a better design than the Dr Foster ones.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
Old 02-22-2010, 08:20 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Yi
Has anyone ordered one of these before?

I want to take my Aussie with me everywhere,that little guy is a crack up.

Any long term update on the Petsmart booties?
Old 02-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #17

Tyler rides with an Easy Rider from Petsmart. However, he doesn't ride in any of the Porsches. The Easy Rider has been great. It holds him in place and he doesn't seem to mind wearing it at all.

SB
Old 02-22-2010, 08:56 PM   #18

My dog is riding in my boxster.

No problem there, only once having problems.
Had just filled gas on, and per reflex I lock the car to go in and pay.

Well the alarm goes and Luna(the dog) gets a little scared.
I just forgot she was in the car

Funny tho
Kim-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim-M
My dog is riding in my boxster.

No problem there, only once having problems.
Had just filled gas on, and per reflex I lock the car to go in and pay.

Well the alarm goes and Luna(the dog) gets a little scared.
I just forgot she was in the car

Funny tho
That happened to me too.

It was worse in my old car - an '89 Pontiac Firebird. The window and door lock switches were on the console, and were not deactivated when the key was out. I came out to find my windows half open and the dog hanging out.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #20

I have 2 dachshunds. One likes to hang his head out of the window. The other one has learned how to roll the windows up. Dachshunds only come in two flavors, special and evil.

ARModen is offline   Reply With Quote