986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Critical Options (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/20516-critical-options.html)

Petermcd 05-04-2009 02:06 PM

Critical Options

If you were buying your first boxter what would be the most important options you would be looking for......... Thanks!

(a little option overwhelmed)

TRawls 05-04-2009 02:27 PM

New, or used?

TRawls

rick3000 05-04-2009 03:40 PM

Buying used the trade off is a newer car vs. lower miles. I picked low miles, and haven't regretted it. In terms of options the car is perfect stock, everything else is just nice to have. I wouldn't even consider traction control an essential option (except door speakers, you need those).

It all depends on what you want/need. If you have to ask, you probably don't need it. :cheers:

yimmy149 05-04-2009 04:11 PM

If you plan to drive it in 50F weather with the top down, heated seats are highly recommended.

Banana S 05-04-2009 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yimmy149
If you plan to drive it in 68F weather with the top down, heated seats are highly recommended.

Fixed. :D

turbo23dog 05-04-2009 05:31 PM

Wind Blocker. Can be added afterward purchase but its pricey.

I also like upgraded stereo with either DSP or Bose.

roadracer311 05-04-2009 07:11 PM

Heated seats!

ekam 05-04-2009 08:01 PM

Litronics for the pretty eyes.

Heated seats for those cold morning drives with the top down.

Immortal1520 05-04-2009 08:55 PM

Honestly, the only "critical" thing I'd want is a glass back window. Earlier models have a plastic rear window. I'm fine with everything else.

crios 05-04-2009 09:05 PM

If buying used, I would look for a well equipped 03 or 04. This model came with some nice standard upgrades, glass convertible window, rear diffuser, new front spoiler, glove box….and on and on. Stay away from an 05, this was the new model update and it had a lot of bugs…06 and up are fine.

My 03 came with Aero Rockers, Carrera Light wheels, Bose sound system, heated seats and love them all!!

If new...as much as you can afford!!! :)

ekam 05-05-2009 03:21 AM

Hey he said option not model year! :p

Yeah get 03-04 and avoid the 05.

Dave S. 05-05-2009 03:50 AM

My critical options were:
S Model
03 or 04 for the glass back window, glove box, better looking headlights and tail lights
Heated Seats
Color that you find attractive ( for me it was Seal Grey with a light grey interior)
Windstop
18 inch wheels

I wanted a Bose Stereo, but I bought a car with the lowest end stereo, not even door speakers. I didn't think this was as critical because this is easy to overcome with good aftermarket equipment. Having an entirely new stereo system installed in it this week that will probably sound better than the Bose anyway.

PSM - Wasn't sure if I really wanted this, but was a bonus on the car I bought. Makes me feel safer on slick roads now.

Adam 05-05-2009 03:50 AM

The ones listed in my sig.

gregdacat 05-05-2009 04:13 AM

It's not an "option" per se, but if I if walked into a dealership the salesperson would be wasting his time showing anything that did not have a manual transmission.

Bladecutter 05-05-2009 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petermcd
If you were buying your first boxter what would be the most important options you would be looking for......... Thanks!

If you're looking at an early 97-99 Boxster, then I think the important options are the larger wheel/tire combo (I have the 17" 205/255 tire package on mine), and a manual transmission (why drive a sports car without?).

Everything else is just gravy, but my car came with the Sport Package (single cd player, windscreen, 17" wheel option), plus traction control. I wouldn't have minded heated seats, but I've survived without them so far.

Personally, if I were buying a new car, I would probably go with exactly the same setup. Manual transmission, 1 size larger tire/wheel package, windscreen, and 1 step up radio. Maybe have them throw in heated seats.

BC.

bmussatti 05-05-2009 08:21 AM

For a 987:

1) Windstop
2) Heated Seats
3) Sport Chrono
4) Manual Trans

All 987s have PSM (Porsche Stability Management) which is also critical to consider if you are looking at the 986s too.

Lots of "nice things to have" but very few are critical.

BoxsterSbob 05-05-2009 08:28 AM

For my part must have options are ('09 base and S):

*Sports Bucket Seats
*Bi-Xenon Headlights with Dynamic Cornering Lights
*Porsche Windstop (Deflector)
*PASM
*Limited Slip Rear Differential Lock
*18" wheels (base)

Somewhat less so options:

*Sport shifter
*Sport Exhaust System
*Sport Chrono Package Plus

Nice to haves:

*Seat Ventilation
*Automatic Climate Control
*Bose Surround Sound System
*PCM 3.0 including Extended Navigation

As far as selecting an S or base model I'd take a serious look at the base unit. It's about $10K cheaper. That allows for a longer options list. Of course, there's a performance difference between them that you'll need to reconcile. I have an '04S that, to me, is a real performer. It seems that today's 987 base model is roughly equal to my '04S. At these price points it's weird saying this... the '09 base car is an excellent Porsche value @ $47K. In real world driving I'm sure the base car will deliver as many smiles per gallon as the S. Having said that...if price isn't an issue get the S.

Note: My 2004 S was had a starting sticker price of $52K.

Good luck

renzop 05-05-2009 08:39 AM

Here's what I bought when I ordered my Boxster last year:

PASM [Critical to me]
Sport Chrono [Critical to me]
Sport 3 spoke wheel [Critical to me - can't stand Y wheel]
windstop [Wish I hadn't wasted my money - never use it]
18" wheels [Nice to have but should have gone with 17" and bought aftermarkets]
Model Designation Delete [Hey, its the only free option!]

Options that are worthwhile that I did not order but might have if I was not so cheap:
Heated Seats
BiXenon headlights
Sport Buckets - the real ones because they weigh 22lbs less than stock

Options that are a waste (IMHO):
Full leather
Any of the wood, alcantera or aluminium trim
Aero pieces
PSE
Any radio options
PCM
Adaptive Seats
Auto climate control - its a 2 seat convertible for gosh sakes
Extra cost colors - They make you pay extra for paint?????
Tiptronic or PDK - unless I had lots of stop and go driving to do
Porsche Crests on anything - I will not pay to advertise for Porsche
Floor mats - aftermarket is cheaper and better quality
Wheel spacers - after market is cheaper if you must
Auto dim mirrors - how lazy are you?
Rain sensor - how lazy are you?
Hard top - get a Cayman

Lil bastard 05-05-2009 11:34 AM

Personally, windstop (top is NEVER up), maybe a wheel pkg.

A Sports Car is supposed to be minimalist, not some Luxo-cruiser!

I would skip ALL the rest and get one of these Best Option

Best bang for the buck... and it's 'portable' !

:cheers:

Mike_Yi 05-05-2009 11:58 AM

I never keep the windstop or the screens in my car. They are most effective when the top is down and the windows are up. I will NEVER drive the car like hat, so they don't do much good.

If I were buying an early Boxster, it would be the 18" wheels.

Later 986s, S version.

Anything newer than that, I don't know.

r9i8c7k 05-05-2009 04:28 PM

Seeing that you are located on Cape Cod...

1) Heated seats - wife/girlfriend will love it.

2) Wind Stop - wife/girlfriend will thank you for keeping their hair neat.

3) 3M Clear Bra - when you hit the pot holes in the roads in Mass. this will protect the paint from chipping when gravel flies up when exiting the pot hole.

Dave S. 05-05-2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave S.
My critical options were:
S Model
03 or 04 for the glass back window, glove box, better looking headlights and tail lights
Heated Seats
Color that you find attractive ( for me it was Seal Grey with a light grey interior)
Windstop
18 inch wheels

I wanted a Bose Stereo, but I bought a car with the lowest end stereo, not even door speakers. I didn't think this was as critical because this is easy to overcome with good aftermarket equipment. Having an entirely new stereo system installed in it this week that will probably sound better than the Bose anyway.

PSM - Wasn't sure if I really wanted this, but was a bonus on the car I bought. Makes me feel safer on slick roads now.

Saw a few other posts here which reminded me - manual transmission was a must-have option for me.

geoff 05-06-2009 11:28 PM

Quote:

Heated seats were the one thing I insisted on when I bought my first (and so far only) Boxster. My wife thought I was nuts, and now she won't even get in to a car without heated seats.

The wind stop makes a big difference as many have said. Litronics (HID) are great, and probably work better if a factor option than installed after the fact. Porsche 997 OEM short shifter. ROW M030 is greatest option, but has to be done afterwards on US cars since we're not ROW. OBC and cruise control can be added, but nice to have from the factory. 18" wheels and colored crests for looks. Electric memory seats so the outside passenger mirror dips down in reverse is really useful. If you can swing it, the Porsche crest in the headrest really makes the car unique and special

edevlin 05-07-2009 02:19 AM

If I were getting a new car (fat chance...) basic options would be

Heated Seats
Litronics
Limited Slip Differential

Ed

:)

ekam 05-07-2009 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoff
If you can swing it, the Porsche crest in the headrest really makes the car unique and special

It's unique and special until someone checks the same box on the order sheet. :p

00boxster 08-06-2009 01:14 AM

TRACTION CONTROL
TRACTION CONTROL
TRACTION CONTROL

Dunno why these cars dont have it for a year 2000 model

Glad I have heated seats and the wind deflector tho :D

mts 08-06-2009 04:33 AM

Quote:

I feel your pain. I honestly think Porsche has more options for their cars than any other manufacturer. I had the same overwhelmed feeling when I started looking. For me, the top ones were:

S-model
Traction control
Heated seats
18" or + wheels
6 speed manual
Sport supension

But I really wanted "everything" if you know what I mean. In the end I got a special edition model which came pretty much loaded up with almost every option from the start. It significantly reduced the the things I had to decide. You might consider looking at one of the special edition cars if you decide you are an option whore like me. :)

Good luck!

jwade 08-06-2009 04:50 AM

So true. I'm an option whore too....sorry, just cannot help it.

I can't believe someone actually said PSE was a waste in an earlier post. They obviously have not had the pleasure of running down the road wide open...

Minimal options for me if ordering a new one:

Red / Beige all over again - just a color combo you cannot stop looking at..
New series Litronics w/ cornering capability
PASM
PSE
Sport shifter - Sorry PDK people, 6 speed is just too nice to have
Full Leather - power seat package
Dark wood package
Sport Chrono w/ nav (plus)
19" Carrera Classic wheels
Bose audio

So basically an updated version of what I already have...Still would be tough getting rid of mine though....Just a fantastic car. I do like the advances of the new direct injection fuel system and the current 0-60 time. Those numbers are so good, why go up to a turbo??

mts 08-06-2009 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwade

I can't believe someone actually said PSE was a waste in an earlier post. They obviously have not had the pleasure of running down the road wide open...

I guess if you don't care about a cars sound at all perhaps PSE would be a waste. However, I think it adds a lot to the overall driving experience. When I got my PSE I thought it was expensive, but after having it a while I think it's fantastic and probably the best purchase I've made. :D

jwade 08-06-2009 06:09 AM

I thought the same, but once I made the plunge, it was well worth it. Looks awesome too on the earlier models.

Couple the PSE to the fabspeed by-pass pipes and it really roars!!!!

If I hit a lick, I'd probably at this point go ahead and add their headers too just to complete the madness....

986Shaft 08-06-2009 05:27 PM

Ask about keys. It's expensive to get more.

gstoli 08-07-2009 06:30 AM

Here is my few cents (I live in Waltham so I have been through that)

1) And most important! Car must come from a person with a garage (even better two garages), who has an SUV or something to drive the winter. As you may know all cars become junk around here because of diving on salted roads. Make sure that the owner loved his Porsche.

2) I would say don't mind the stereo, buy something without heated seats (it's a guaranty that the car was not driven in winter). What ever stereo option Porsche has you will find yourself wanting to upgrade to an aftermarket (GPS head unit, better amp, new speakers...)

3) If you can get an older Boxster 1997-2000 with a 3 spoke wheel, clear headlights and rear compartment. Go ahead and buy it. To me it means that the owner loved his Porsche.

4) The most expensive mods that you would like to do are: larger wheels (18" at least), 3-spoke wheel and headlights. The price to do these competes with the price of an older Boxster (ok ti doesn't :-), but these are extremely expensive compared to the price of the old Boxster).

Except for the wheels I just described my Boxy :-))) .