986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Will need some on this one... (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/20505-will-need-some-one.html)

urban_legend 05-03-2009 04:22 PM

Will need some on this one...

For the first time, I heard a ping or tapping from the engine. normally it runs very quiret and smooth. Hit the highway, and after 20 miles more noise from the engine and the battety light comes on. 5 miles from home so I drive it in.

(New) serpatine belt is completely loose and the coolant pump wheel has completely come out of the coolant pump.

In the garage, the engine was quite hot - steam/smoke coming out of the passenger side air intake. Some hoses also looked like they had gotten quite hot.
And a burning smell..rubber?

Can I get buy with a new coolant pump - or more trouble in store.
Also, what came first? Belt came off - or the coolant pump broke?

Any help/advice here welcome.

litteng 05-03-2009 04:59 PM

pump

would the first guess, assuming that the serpentine tensioner was still functioning

how many miles on the engine, and who installed the new serpentine belt?

cnavarro 05-03-2009 05:06 PM

I'm assuming if it got that hot, you probably overheated the engine pretty bad. You'll likely want to do an oil change too and probably do a compression and leakdown test to make sure you didn't compromise the engine. What did the temperature gauge read through all of this? Did it leak out all its coolant?

urban_legend 05-03-2009 05:31 PM

Some details..

Only warning light that came on was the battery.

No coolant visible in the tank. But all I could see was some droplets on the air filter and maybe 1/2 cup sprinkled around - mostly some drips and light spray droplets. So maybe spilled out before I made it home.

Wheel and spindle of the coolant pump came right out of the pump. This looks like the only spot where coolant came out.

S-belt was installed about 200 miles ago and has been quiet no squeeking or noise. No indication that I could tell it wasn't right.

First sound I heard was a light tap or ping from the engine in idle when I started it up.

First noticed the smell and smoke/steam when I stopped in the garage. But it came out of the vents for a good five - ten miutes.

Jaxonalden 05-04-2009 04:03 AM

The plastic impeller on the water pump let loose (common failure...made in France) then the water pump pulley shaft started to pull out and loosened the belt allowing it to slip over the other accessories. The alternator was not spinning enough to produce current and the car was running on battery power only (your battery light). With a car already warmed up and this happens (and you still drove home?) you probably cooked your engine. If it does run I'm sure it's only a matter of time before something is going to let loose.

Word to the wise...if something doesn't sound right while driving your car, any car, and a idiot light comes on, stop the car and have it checked out. If you don't your $2 fix will escalate into a total loss. Good luck.

cnavarro 05-04-2009 05:59 AM

Was your coolant temp gauge working at all previously? If the coolant tank was low (or empty in your case), it should have been flashing on the dash. Unfortunately, I think you ran the engine dry (no coolant) probably way too long. It's probably fried. If it still runs after it's put back together, don't be surprised if you suffer a cylinder failure or other issue with the engine necessitating a complete rebuild.

urban_legend 05-04-2009 04:28 PM

Diagnosis sounds right...

Other than saying a prayer to the autobahn gods - best next step.

Start with replacing the coolant pump and gasket. Or take it to the dealer and hope for the best.

btw - on another forum I found the same problem. Some noise at start up, the pulley coming loose and steam from vents with no overheating warning lights.