Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 06:51 PM   #1

Silly question about door speakers

I just removed the door panel in an attempt to replace the door speakers. Obviously all I hear from the door is bass. I tried the Infinity Kappa and all I hear is bass- no high or vocal whatsoever. Am I missing something here? Can we simply replace the stock speakers with aftermarket as a direct connect? If no go, then I will simply reinstall the factory bass speaker.

AlexH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:15 PM   #2

factory amp has a built in crossover that only sends "lows" to the door and mid/highs to the dash speakers. Still recommend upgrading the door speakers ONLY if you increase them to 6.5" or bigger (on customer baffle). I tried to just replace the 5.25" stock OEM drivers in the "tuned ports" w/ 3 different sets of drivers. 2 sounded worse than OEM... one was "equal to". Ended up dropping in 6.75" Infiitiy Kappa on customer wood baffles and bass is now to my liking. Would I still like a little more... yes but w/out taking up any interior space or seriously modifying the door mounts it won't happen.

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
factory amp has a built in crossover that only sends "lows" to the door and mid/highs to the dash speakers. Still recommend upgrading the door speakers ONLY if you increase them to 6.5" or bigger (on customer baffle). I tried to just replace the 5.25" stock OEM drivers in the "tuned ports" w/ 3 different sets of drivers. 2 sounded worse than OEM... one was "equal to". Ended up dropping in 6.75" Infiitiy Kappa on customer wood baffles and bass is now to my liking. Would I still like a little more... yes but w/out taking up any interior space or seriously modifying the door mounts it won't happen.

The 62i is 6 1/2. How do you get the high and vocal to work? I think it will provide comparable bass to the stock and at the same time add imaging to the sound as I find the dash speakers alone do not provide enough sound spacing.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:17 AM   #4

The stock Porsche amps only send bass to those speakers. You must replace the amp to get full range sound.

Besides the stock amp is only 40watts per channel. You will want more power than that going to those 6.5s.
funkdefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:58 AM   #5

You need to lose the factory amp and install aftermarket amps and use the crossovers that came with the speakers to make this work. If you do, the gains are significant.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
You need to lose the factory amp and install aftermarket amps and use the crossovers that came with the speakers to make this work. If you do, the gains are significant.
Thanks everyone! I am not sure if I have what it takes and time to do the job. I just spent my day off yesterday to change out all of the fluids in the MDX. I enjoyed doing it but it's so time consuming.