Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2009, 04:14 AM   #1

Anyone bought these wheels?

Has anyone bought wheels from Eurotechwheels on ebay. Great prices. Wondering about the quality. These wheels are only $800. Anyone with any information about this company?

Eric

E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:14 AM   #2

I did not buy that exact one, but I bought from the same company.

Here is what my wheels look like now. I called the company to enact my "warranty on finish", they said that it was my fault and they where not going to replace the wheels.

They continue to get worse as time goes on. You get what you pay for.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:32 AM   #3

Wow, how long have you had those? What kind of cleaner did you use on them? I had some wheels years ago that got like that when I got bleach white on them.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:22 AM   #4

Sorry to see that Jay, a good option if you are going to keep those would be a inner spray job of a color you like maintaining the polished lip as is, assuming all the lips are shiny.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:36 AM   #5

The problem with that style wheel is that it shows a lot of the calipers, rotors, and inner wheel area... which will be very hard to clean with a small brush.

... if that sort of thing is important to you.

I went with 5 spoke Carrera light aftermarket wheels with this in mind. They look good and you can get your hand inside the wheel to clean it with a wash rag.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #6

No wheel cleaner used. Only have used dish soap and wheel brush. They started doing this last summer. THese wheels are not even 1 yr old. Its the clearcoat that is peeling on them. I am going to either have them powder coated or just throw them in the trash.

What I REALLY hated is I had to use H&R spaces to get them to clear the brakes. Now I have a permanent shake at 75 miles and hour.

These wheels have been a headache.
I am going to the 997TT repoduction wheels next.

They where cheap, and I am glad they where, wheels are hard to keep undamaged and spending many thousands on wheels is pretty dumb I think.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #7

Eurotechwheels from San Diego? I was looking at their prices and website, i can already tell these are cheap quality wheels Made in China. Much has been said already about inferior quality wheels, parts, illegal replicas. Most parts are made overseas, unfortunately there is a lot (NOT ALL) of bad companies out there looking for a quick profit... Research..Research..We get what we pay for.

Last edited by spine911; 04-18-2009 at 09:42 AM.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #8

Wow, glad you posted the pictures, sorry to see what you've had to deal with. Its ridiculous that they would look like that in under a year.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:57 AM   #9

Jay,

Thanks for the information. You do get what you pay for. I think I will just keep the turbo wheels that came with the car. They are 9 years old and look brand new. You saved me money and aggrevation. That's what the forum is all about.
Thanks again.

Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:34 AM   #10

The paint chipping issues on those wheels have nothing to do with the quality of the actual wheels. The wheel just simply wasn't prepped properly. My dad has $5K Champion wheels on his 996 Turbo and after about 6 months they started chipping. Wheel Experts took them back and had them repainted flat black instead of gloss black this time, my suggestion. 6 months later, they're chipping in the exact same spots, poor prep. Champion has since discontinued painting the center of their wheels.

On the other hand, I bought some BSA wheels off ebay and painted the centers semi flat black myself with a $40 harbor freight paint gun. I don't have any chipping issues in the 6 months I've had them on.

I was going to have them powder coated but, after talking to my local shop, you can't tape off anything. Therefore, the lip would be powder coated also and you'd have to take them to a machinist to have them remachine the lip and polish it out. Thus, removing a bit of the material off the rim. Painting was a much cheaper procedure.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:55 AM   #11

[QUOTE=yellowboxster01]The paint chipping issues on those wheels have nothing to do with the quality of the actual wheels. The wheel just simply wasn't prepped properly. My dad has $5K Champion wheels on his 996 Turbo and after about 6 months they started chipping. QUOTE]

Is that so?? Regardless of purchase price poor preparation, paint chipping are true examples of POOR/FAILURE in quality.
At least Champion stood up, and discontinued the poor practice, how about those Ebay BSA wheels? Did they correct their faulty paint prep?

If my Porsche's paint starts pealing after 5 months, isn't that a quality issue?? I don't want to be stuck repainting the car myself
i_gemini2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:44 AM   #12

jhandy, those look like shyte...I guess you do get what you pay for. I'm with RandallN on the Carrera five spokes. I can get my hand in and clean the entire interior of the wheel and brake caliper, without issue. I really can't stand a clean car and then you look at dirty wheels and brakes!
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_gemini2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboxster01
The paint chipping issues on those wheels have nothing to do with the quality of the actual wheels. The wheel just simply wasn't prepped properly. My dad has $5K Champion wheels on his 996 Turbo and after about 6 months they started chipping.
Is that so?? Regardless of purchase price poor preparation, paint chipping are true examples of POOR/FAILURE in quality.
At least Champion stood up, and discontinued the poor practice, how about those Ebay BSA wheels? Did they correct their faulty paint prep?

If my Porsche's paint starts pealing after 5 months, isn't that a quality issue?? I don't want to be stuck repainting the car myself
So, you're saying that a faulty coating represents the quality of a wheel?

When I bought my BSA's, I bought some that had paint issues at a discounted rate. That's what I was after because he didn't offer them with a flat finish. So, yes I was compensated for the paint issues.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboxster01
So, you're saying that a faulty coating represents the quality of a wheel?

When I bought my BSA's, I bought some that had paint issues at a discounted rate. That's what I was after because he didn't offer them with a flat finish. So, yes I was compensated for the paint issues.

Paint and Finish longevity is definitely a (one part) of the whole quality of the wheel (to me it definitely is).

That is why you also got a "discounted rate", and was "compensated for the paint issues"
i_gemini2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_gemini2000
Paint and Finish longevity is definitely a (one part) of the whole quality of the wheel (to me it definitely is).
Well, that's where we disagree and that's fine. :dance:

Oh and ftr, the second time his Champion wheels chipped, they wouldn't repaint them. He's never had a single issue with HRE wheels, although those are to rich for my blood.

Last edited by yellowboxster01; 04-19-2009 at 10:19 PM.