Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #1

Tiptronic? Opinions?

I've heard that the Tiptronics are being replaced with PDK's in the new Boxsters, but I was just wondering what people thought of Automatic Boxsters in general. I drive a 2004 Boxster in Automatic, I would have taken a Manual anyday, but when I went to buy my Box, there was a deal that I just couldn't refuse.

I know you lose a lot of the sporty feel when you drive a sports car in automatic, but I was just wondering if that translates to this car as well. It's still fun to drive and all that, I'm just wondering if I'd be ridiculed for driving a car like that in Automatic.

Immortal1520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1520
It's still fun to drive and all that, I'm just wondering if I'd be ridiculed for driving a car like that in Automatic.
I have a tip.. and its fun as hell to drive. If it were so ridiculous... they wouldnt make it. I enjoy the tip more than the manual, if youre using it for a daily driver like me.. in a suburb, the tip is a lot better to drive and a lot less fatigue. Is it going to be a DD, wheres it going to be drivin?
PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:29 AM   #3

FYI, the 986 tiptronics have a lesser chance to have the recurrent, dreaded RMS leaks. That's one big reason to be pleased about
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #4

The new PDK is a faster shifter than most all humans. It is also reported to be abrupt even in full auto mode. It will be great for the track I think. I'll certainly consider it if I get a new Boxster.

I've always thought there was no shame in an auto shifter. Even the original Sportomatic, which was more of an auto-clutch.

Especially for slow traffic commutes. Which is why my RX-7 in Tokyo was an auto.

For me, the shifting and clutching are a pleasure - especially when done well. So even if I got a new 987, it would be 6 speed. Even if I get whupped by a PDK at the stop light gran prix.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:00 PM   #5

An automatic porsche is like eunuch. Sure it's still technically a sports car, but castrated and dull. That's how I feel towards them, but who cares what I think just be happy with what you have. If you like auto's then go for it.
Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastback
An automatic porsche is like eunuch. Sure it's still technically a sports car, but castrated and dull. That's how I feel towards them, but who cares what I think just be happy with what you have. If you like auto's then go for it.
I love my TIP and would not have it any other way, except for a new PDK. Both of these opinions are right. Get the maximum pleasure out of your car with the tranny that suits you most. Just don't get into putting down others because they don't do it your way.

AKL
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #7

Any automatic transmission is nice only if you commute to work everyday in any major cities, or if you have health problems with using your left foot or hands.

Otherwise no excuse to have them on a sports car. Unless you admit you're too old to use the clutch.

Yea yea it shifts faster than humans blah blah blah that's what Ferrari tries to sell ya. :ah:

Remember, the ultimate Porsche - Carrera GT is a manual.

Oh and I wonder if FTD or Lovebunny drive manuals??

Last edited by ekam; 04-14-2009 at 03:38 PM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:14 PM   #8

I wouldn't get a tiptronic because it saps hp and performance, but I wouldn't mind a PDK if it had F1 style paddle shifters like Ferarri does it. Keeping the push buttons on the wheel was a mistake.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:25 PM   #9

The problem with the tip or any auto in a sports car is that the torque converter robs your ability to be accurate with the throttle to control the car. I am a hard core manual guy, and feel uncomfortable driving an auto for that very reason... but...

The PDK has none of those issues, and I drove a new Boxster with the PDK the other day and probably will never order another car without it... its that good.

Mostly stock... except for all the things that are changed.
www.dexterautosport.com

http://www.pbase.com/image/89146172.jpg
mdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:08 PM   #10

I'm sure today's ultra-fast automatics are a few tenths faster around a recatrack, but I want to drive my car, not just point it.
Ofishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #11

You'll get opinions from lots of points of view

Varying from the "manual is for real men" to "the TIP is actually faster on the track for some experienced drivers" (article about 3-4 years ago to that effect in Excellence or Panorama...P-car mags).

I'm driving my second TIP Boxster. Drove exclusively stick for about 30 years and then traffic in the DC area got to me. I didn't go looking for a TIP Boxster initially, but when I tried a 99, I liked it enough that it became my daily driver in all seasons in tough traffic. I totaled it and replaced it with a '01 S which has an even better TIP due to its ability to manually shift even when in auto mode.

If you like driving what you have, be happy with it and don't seek the approval or validation of others. And if you don't...there has never been a better time to be a buyer.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #12

Garage
Same thread, different day...

Why is it that an innovative, competition transmission, produced by the most premier name in the automotive world, Porsche, always has stones thrown at it by its very own? We Tip drivers don’t dog pedal pushin' gear jammers. I've owned a stable of manuals in my day and now I have an auto that I can (at any time) drop down two or three gears with the flick of my thumb. Its fun, enjoyable and fast.

Lets stop the trash talk and just enjoy the fact that we all drive a Porsche.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 04-14-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:48 PM   #13

Yes, tips sap horsepower. Jake and I did a back to back test - we pulled the 2.5 from my 99 tip which dynoed at 163 at the rear wheels then did the same engine in his manual, it was well over 180 hp at the rear wheels. He posted on rennlist a graph of the two compared, it was shocking to say the least. We didn't even change the oil in the engine between comparisons! I had been told years ago that a slushbox ate about an additional 8-10%, but from our test it's as much as 14% on top of the typical 20% loss figured between flywheel hp and at the rear wheels on a manual. Just food for thought.

The PDK is awesome. Having owned several cars with VW's DSG and driven other sequential manual gearboxes, if I could figure out how to shoehorn a PDK in my 99, I would do it in a heartbeat.
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
cnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:05 PM   #14

It depends on personal taste and how much you are in stop-start traffic.

I personally chose a manual because I wanted to learn first off, and second I don't have much stop and go traffic where I live so I can really wind my car up if I want to, I dont think I would have had this much fun in a tip.

But I don't see any shame with driving a tiptronic, everyone has their preferences. The new PDK seems to be amazing, fast shifts and no jerkiness.
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #15

I have a TIP, I love it and I autocross it all the time

70k mi. and climbing...
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #16

Lordy, I didn't expect some of you fellas to actually be on my side on this. I was under the notion that people would be like, "get out of this forum, you tip whore" or something, hahaha.

Where it is true that I probably won't get as much out of my car in a Manual, I also live in a part of Southern California where it would be next to impossible to find a place where I could unleash it's full potential anyway. I'd have to take an hour drive to some random canyon to drive it in its element. And when you work so much like I do, I just can't find the time to do a "canyon run".

Currently, I'm driving this Boxster in a pretty urban environment, and usually to work each day. I'm no stranger to traffic everyday and I thought that it would be far too much of a trouble to drive a manual in a place where I'd be stopping and going so frequently. Despite that it's not a manual, I am absolutely in love with this car. I've only been driving it for about a month, but it's such a blast to drive.

But like Jaxonalden brilliantly said, "Lets stop the trash talk and just enjoy the fact that we all drive a Porsche."
Immortal1520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #17

My Boxster is Tip, my 914 and M3 are manuals, and I've had many other manuals. I like the Tip more than I thought I would, I got the car with Tip because it was a great deal. It's a fun contrast to a manual, there are some interesting things you can do with it. That said, I'm glad I also have some manual cars to play with, it's a more direct and visceral connection than Tip is.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:51 AM   #18

Okay let's go back to the weekly threads of...

1) OMG I'm so scared to drive my Boxster because the engine will blow up.

2) My Boxster is so underpowered, should I trade it in for a Vette?

3) Will these wheels fit my car?

And ocassionally Jake will jump in to one of these threads, and say "I have been gathering extensive data on this..."

:dance:

I think FTD is the only one here that understands my humour.

Last edited by ekam; 04-15-2009 at 06:57 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:09 AM   #19

Tip

I currently own a Boxster with tip and think it's great. My 2 previous ones were manual and I have just as much fun and go just as fast in the tip equipped car. Plus it is hassle free when stuck in traffic. I'm enjoying it very much and would recommend it.
cWadeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #20

And of what great loss is 17 HP?

When, in the driving I do, will I ever ask for more than 60% of the capability of the car? The only case I can think of is a freeway merge and maybe a passing situation and I already have way more power than all the Priuses that pass me.

I'm of the opinion my '99 2.5 TIP was more fun than my '01S 3.2 TIP because it didn't have as much power and you got to drive it harder for longer in more situations.

signed,

the contrarian

who is going to go out and drive his slow slushbox for the first time in 4 weeks (medical) and enjoy the heck out of it.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote