Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 04:26 AM   #1

Angry Target

Just an FYI...Target Stores has outsourced their customer service departments to India and the Philippines. Just what America needs in this recession. I closed my Target account and have asked my family not to shop there.

Thank you for letting me vent and have a good day!!

ocdbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:03 AM   #2

You just found that out???? Microsoft most probably have their customer service outsourced as well, probably i'll have to turn off my PC now .....I just found out that my 986 is made in Finland!! - ill dump it for a Celica after work-purely Japan made and more reliable...
Don't sweat it.....
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:22 AM   #3

If that's your criteria for where and what to buy then you cannot buy a computer, TV, car stereo, or major appliance as they all have outsourced production or customer service off shore. Time to get over your misplaced Nationalism and recognize that this is truly a global economy. BTW - what does Target have to do with 986Forum.com????
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:24 AM   #4
FTD

I've been watching people lose their jobs to outsourcing for 6 years now. Its creepy and frustrating. Two very fine people over the cube wall just got similar news. Great.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #5

What, me worry????

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by renzop
If that's your criteria for where and what to buy then you cannot buy a computer, TV, car stereo, or major appliance as they all have outsourced production or customer service off shore. Time to get over your misplaced Nationalism and recognize that this is truly a global economy. BTW - what does Target have to do with 986Forum.com????

I bought the micro fiber cloth that I wipe the partial leather seats down with from them
ocdbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:44 AM   #7

Garage
Yo bro,

You don't think Target is an American store do you? It F***ing French! Outsourcing Customer Service? Hell we're selling ourselves out by shopping there in the first place. And Wal-Mart, now there's an institution that most closely resembles a parasite to local commerce if I ever seem one!

Boy, I feel better now. :dance:
Old 04-09-2009, 09:01 AM   #8

Here's something for ya.

The current US military-issue cold weather gloves are made in Korea. Are you going to move to France now?

Oh and give me your keys since you're not driving an American car.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:13 AM   #9

Some "import" autos have more domestic made components than the big three produced cars.

However, when GM goes belly-up, they'll take a lot of those maufacturers with them.

I'm going to change the Jeep insignia on my car to Fiat...give it that import feel.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
Yo bro,

You don't think Target is an American store do you? It F***ing French! Outsourcing Customer Service? Hell we're selling ourselves out by shopping there in the first place. And Wal-Mart, now there's an institution that most closely resembles a parasite to local commerce if I ever seem one!

Boy, I feel better now. :dance:
Please check out:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/target.asp

Target is not French owned. This a urban legend. It is a publicly-owned American-based company out of Minnesota. A french based financial institution, AXA, holds approx 5% of the outstanding shares.
drem914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdbilly
. . . Just what America needs in this recession . . ..
UAW workers make the same argument, yet here we are in our German cars.
Ofishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
Some "import" autos have more domestic made components than the big three produced cars.

I'm going to change the Jeep insignia on my car to Fiat...give it that import feel.
That was true of our 95 Mazda MX-6. It had the highest US content of any car sold in the US that year. And the best DD we ever had.

My Tennessee made Nissan 4X was my second worst ever vehicle. And Toyota employs thousand of my former fellow Central Kentuckians making boringly reliable cars. Hope they don't fail too.

Factory delivery of wife's X5 in Spartanburg SC probly frosted some Germans too.

And a Jeep comment. After Daimler did the hostile takeover ("merger") and before they gutted Chrysler a friend pasted a Benz badge on my wife's Jeep GC. Naw, it don't make 'em feel any better. And it was the absolute worst piece of UAW work we've ever had.

If US made Toyotas can sell and sell, there is no reason a US manufacturer could not build a car that would do the same.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Sixter

If US made Toyotas can sell and sell, there is no reason a US manufacturer could not build a car that would do the same.

TRUE....It all boils down to QUALITY...If only the Big 3 automakers in the US have a comprehensive QUALITY plan,instead of jumping on the "Green", "eco-friendly" hybrid band wagon...The government asked them for the plan; absolutely no comment on the QUALITY issues!!!!
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdbilly
I bought the micro fiber cloth that I wipe the partial leather seats down with from them
...and just where do you think that microfiber cloth was made?

On that note though, I personally get more frustrated w/ call centers that pretend to be US based by giving CSRs "American" names. Last week I had some PC problems so I called Microsoft to get help and was assisted by a man name "Jeffery". He sent me this photo of himself and something tells me he wasn't in the Pacific Northwest...

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by spine911
TRUE....It all boils down to QUALITY...If only the Big 3 automakers in the US have a comprehensive QUALITY plan,instead of jumping on the "Green", "eco-friendly" hybrid band wagon...The government asked them for the plan; absolutely no comment on the QUALITY issues!!!!
While the Big 3 definitely shot them selve in the foot in the 70's and 80's in the quality arena, that's just a memory in a lot of ways now.

Ford was the first to turn it around, and their overall quality is now on par with the Japanese manufacturers.

GM and Chysler are not as good, but according to the ratings I've seen they are mid-pack (average).

Toyota has produced some stinkers in recent years, and even lost the top spot. In 2007 (or 08) Ford surpassed them. People keep buying them, however.

Nissan is the same. They've taken a downturn in the quality department, but no one seems to notice.

We've all heard that US cars are bad for so long, we believe it without question. Meanwhile, BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche have produced some of the most unreliable cars in the last 10 or so years, and people seem to not mind paying top dollar to drive, and repair them.

Cars, and people, are funny things.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:43 PM   #16

Reputations for quality can be reversed fairly easily.

Look at Audi in the mid-'80's... Their Mktg. slogan could easily have been:

'The Audi 5000... don't let it leave home without you'!

Audi had one of the worst reputations of any automaker in the World

In '08, Audi was one of the only manufacturers (actually the only mfr.) who actually increased sales over the previous year - Toyota was in decline for the first time in 35 yrs.

So, it can be done. But it's a bottom-up proposition, meaning the UAW has to be behind it even more than co. management is. They (UAW) have to reverse a 40 yr. mindset in their membership which has been to do as little as possible while expecting annual wage/ benefit increases and job preservation that were totally detached from the company's health and earnings. Good luck with that...

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #17

The American manufacturers suffered from what many now defunct American companies suffered from, focus on short term profits above all else, capitalism gone too far. The government should have stayed resolute on mileage improvements instead of caving in at the request of Detroit. In closing, Ford should bring some of the cars they make for EU to the states, they already make some decent coupes. I also own a Mercury, aka Ford with lockwashers .

eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote