986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Lubro Moly? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/20209-lubro-moly.html)

MikeM 04-08-2009 08:21 AM

Lubro Moly?

Hi...does anyone use Lubro Moly in their engines?
This is the oil my mechanic recommends. I understand tha Jake Raby is now advising something other than Mobil 1, but I'm not sure now what to use!!
Hey, the way I figure it, if Jake says something about these motors, I'm going to listen.
Cheers

kabel 04-08-2009 10:13 AM

googled Lubro Moly it and found many re-sellers, seems to be popular with Merc and BMW owners. I know a couple of guys that swear by Swepco brand oil.

spine911 04-08-2009 12:50 PM

Ived used Lubro Moly oil on my MB, & Porsche. It is one of the best oil available out there.

Lil bastard 04-08-2009 01:20 PM

Motor Oil is like ice-cream at Baskin-Robbins... everyone has their favorite 'flavor'.

And, you can make a reasonable arguement both for and against almost every major brand synthetic out there.

But, if you keep the level up, change between 7.5k and 10kmi., I doubt any of these cars will suffer an oil brand related issue until long after 200k mi...

After that many miles, does it really matter what broke it?

I use Lubro-moly products and I like them. But, I also use MB1, Motul (the world's 1st full synthetic - 1948), Elf.

:cheers:

944boy 04-08-2009 08:37 PM

I used Liqui-Moly 10-60 race oil. It was amazing stuff. But I heard that it recently got discontinued. In my 944 the oil would stay cleaner longer, more pressure than mobil1 and still flowed well at cold temps.

I have Royal Purple in the Box right now. But I put lubro-moly in my girlfriends VW because it is one of the few VW certified oils that I could get on a sat morning and it wasn't any more than M1.

Brucelee 04-09-2009 06:48 AM

My fav is Red Line full synthetic group 5 basestock.

Good stuff but expensive.

SeanZ4 04-09-2009 07:36 AM

I ran lubro-moly in my two different MB 300 turbo diesels for years. It was what my indie mech. recommended. My '85 300D had nearly 300k on it when I sold it. I don't know?? I ran Castrol in my BMW Z3's and the Z4. Now I have this Boxster S. I'm thinking about running Castrol syntec in it. What do you guys think???

sean

Lil bastard 04-09-2009 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 944boy
I used Liqui-Moly 10-60 race oil. It was amazing stuff. But I heard that it recently got discontinued...

You mean Lubro Moly 10w-60, not Liqui-Moly right?

Not so, it's listed in Bavarian Auto's current catalogue as a 'new' item.

salerno501 04-09-2009 09:52 AM

switch

This weekend I switched from Mobil 1 to Red Line and have noticed a significant difference in performance in my boxster. I thought about Royal Purple too, but it seemed more people swore by Red Line. I will definitely be using Red Line on the next change. BTW, I used the 5W40.

James

944boy 04-09-2009 10:25 PM

Nope I do mean Liqui-moly. Same company, but I think its designed for European sales. I don't have any of the old bottles laying around. But here is a link to a site that has it. I'm sure people are selling off stock. And what I heard could be a rumor, but it has always been hard to find. I was getting it for $42 for 5liters at one point.

http://www.frsport.com/Liqui-Moly-10W-60-Full-Synthetic-Synthoil-Racing-Engine-Oil--5-Liters-_p_5489.html

bmussatti 04-10-2009 03:50 AM

My last 3 oil changes have all been 5W40 Red Line. Good stuff. Did my first oil analysis last fall with Blackstone. All is good.

edevlin 04-10-2009 07:06 AM

"This weekend I switched from Mobil 1 to Red Line and have noticed a significant difference in performance in my boxster. "

Interesting, what sort of difference in performace did you notice, thanks,

Ed

salerno501 04-10-2009 09:27 AM

The car felt like it ran smoother, the engine sound was better, and improved pick-up. I know it sounds like an ad or something, but it was true, at least in my case. Not a randomized, controlled trial or anything, but that was my observation.

James

Jake Raby 04-10-2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Hey, the way I figure it, if Jake says something about these motors, I'm going to listen
Thanks!
BUT I'll never recommend any oils in public!

Doing so is like a self inflicted wound to me and my program. Sorry, if the repercussions of doing this weren't so high I'd certainly share it with you guys.

MikeM 04-10-2009 04:17 PM

Jake...understood.
Let me put it this way...

Is Lubro Moly a good choice for my Boxster?

Cheers

Lil bastard 04-11-2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
Thanks!
BUT I'll never recommend any oils in public!

Doing so is like a self inflicted wound to me and my program. Sorry, if the repercussions of doing this weren't so high I'd certainly share it with you guys.

OK, so if I read you correctly, you won't recommend the 'proper' oil for fear that it will lead to fewer people needing your parts and services.

Does that mean that some oils can/do reduce or eliminate the possibility of IMS failure?