Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 07:11 AM   #1

Lug bolt key

I just realized that the previous owner did not leave me the lug bolt key that I will need in order to remove my wheels. Where can I get a replacement key and how do I verify that it is correct? I tried Sunset but they could not help me.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:56 AM   #2

You have gone over every nook and cranny in both trunks,

and all the storage spots in the cabin. And when that fails, you go to the dealers and ask to borrow their set and you try them one after the other till you ID the one that works. You consider if swapping to regular bolts is worth the risk of theft of your wheels. Then you either order new bolts or the locking socket from the dealer.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:06 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

Also check in the spare tire storage pockets and tool bag. I think that's the factory location.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:30 AM   #4

Sadly enough I have been all over the car looking for this, I've checked both trunks, removed the spare, inventoried the tools in the pouch as well as the foam liner, checked the glove box, ashtray and console, it just isn't here.

I did find a three digit code written under the hood that could bethe right one so I have called Sunset imports and ordered one. I should know in about two weeks if this is the right one. If not I'll be going to a tire store to see if they can help me get them off.

I don't think I am at much risk of having these stolen so I will be removing them and replacing them with the stainless bolts as soon as possible.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:22 AM   #5

I would go to a dealer. I know the GM dealers have a whole tray of the wheel locks. They just start pulling them out until they find the right one... and then they charge you $50 to order it.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:35 AM   #6

I despise the factory wheel lock bolts; got rid of them off all my Porsche cars as soon as I purchased them.

I don't leave my cars where I fear the wheels will be stolen; they're more likely to take the entire car, than just the wheels.

I also agree to check with the dealer; easiest solution as they have a big tray of all the different ones.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Bsignor
Try your local NAPA store, they sell tools( tapered socket) to remove any locking wheel lug.

Bsignor is offline   Reply With Quote