986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Boxster Cover Help? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/20091-boxster-cover-help.html)

rick3000 03-29-2009 09:48 AM

Boxster Cover Help?

Hi,
I am going to be moving soon and will unfortunately have to park my Boxster outside most of the time. I would like to invest in a car cover that I can use regularly, but am completely baffled by all the choices of covers available. Their maybe occasional snow, but mostly sun and rain to worry about. I would like to stay under $200, and am not interested in advertising the Porsche logo.

I've seen that Wolf, Covercraft, and California car covers all sell Noah fabric covers. The Wolf is cheapest with the longest warranty but if it not built as well?
Coverking has the Silverguard, and California car covers also has the Stormweave and Ultraweave.

Does anyone have an opinion on these, or a recommendation?
Thanks!

Frodo 03-29-2009 10:52 AM

I don't know a whole lot about them (and basically nothing about the specific brands you mentioned), but I do know you want to be careful covering a nice car outdoors.

I would be meticulous about keeping it v e r y clean. Otherwise, on a windy day the small movement of the cover can turn it into sandpaper on your finish. If you can't do that, I think your finish would be better off with a good sealant and/or coat of wax with NO cover.

FWIW.

rockbox 03-29-2009 12:45 PM

I have a Wolf cover and I dust before I put it on, I also have a plastic sheet I use to cover the top (held in place by the doors) with before I put on the Wolf cover as it tends to leave little fuzzies all over the top, otherwise it works fine.
Someday I will get my garage back.

dave

941MXVET 03-29-2009 01:59 PM

I've got 2 Cover Kings, one for indoor storage, and on for a car we park outside. The outdoor cover fits very well, seams very water proof, and fits tight around the lower part of the car, keeping blowing dust to a minimun.

mts 03-30-2009 03:59 AM

With the Boxster, you have some tough challenges if you are using it outdoors. You need something that will stand up to a little weather, won't scratch your paint, and won't leave fuzzy stuff all over your covertible top.

I've had many different covers and I strongly recommend the Cal Car Covers "Superweave". You won't stay under $200 (will cost you closer to $300), but you also won't regret getting a cover that won't meet all the criteria I listed. It sucks to spent $200 on a cover only to spend $300 later when the $200 one sucks. Ask me how I know. :)

mikefocke 03-30-2009 05:47 AM

Have Cal Cover Noah fabric cover

And have used it for several winters of outside storage. Nothing but praise. Of course, since I put it on only after the car was washed, there was no dust/dirt to be trapped between the fabric and the car's paint.

Easy enough to get on and off. Elastic held up well. Never used a cable lock that came with it. Stores in a fabric bag that fits in about half the front trunk. Store it dry.

Survived 12" of snow and ice and melt as well as push broom clearing the snow off the cover so tough fabric. Never found the car wet despite what may have been on the other side of the cover. Reasonably light when not wet.

rick3000 03-30-2009 08:58 AM

Thanks for all the input!
I think I will either be getting the Noah if it will always be outside or the Stormweave if I manage to get a carport, to protect from scratches and dings better.
Do you guys think their will be a big difference in the quality between the manufactures using the Noah fabric?