986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   New member,new porsche.Question? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/20067-new-member-new-porsche-question.html)

mills 03-27-2009 11:42 AM

New member,new porsche.Question?

Hi everyone,came across this forum and just joined.Bought a boxster and wondered if anyone knows why it has 'stickers' towards the rear, near the tyres. Have they been added or do all boxsters have them?What is their purpose? I think they look awful.Thanks

Samson 03-27-2009 11:44 AM

Welcome. :cheers:

The "stickers" are there to protect the paint from rock chips. If yours have yellowed, I'm pretty sure you can buy a new set for fairly cheap.

mills 03-27-2009 11:58 AM

Silly Me!!

Thanks for the instant reply! No not yellowed, brand new car...a 'girl' didnt think of stonechips.

Samson 03-27-2009 12:08 PM

No problem.
My not wanting to be productive on a deserted Friday afternoon works in your favor, I suppose.

husker boxster 03-27-2009 02:14 PM

Welcome Mills!

Post some pics and tell us about your new arrival. :dance:

crios 03-27-2009 02:17 PM

Stickers? Post some pics....never heard of this.

mills 03-27-2009 02:46 PM

Not sure how to download pics...new to all this. Boxster just been imported new here to New Zealand from England. All black..only been driving it a few weeks so still getting used to it. Found this great forum here this morning.Sure has lots of great info.

vath2001 03-27-2009 03:03 PM

Welcome.
Sounds like you have stone guards / rock guards. Clear plastic or vinyl, about 0.25mm thick? You should be able to peel them off (gently) in you don't like them. However, depending on the age of your car, you may find the paint underneath a shade darker ... the paint fades on the rest of the body and the guard would have protected the factory color from UV.
The factory installs them to help protect those areas of the car.

Jaxonalden 03-27-2009 03:22 PM

Mills,

Welcome :cheers: , I have a friend in Kerikeri, New Zealand. Does that sound familiar or close to you?

mills 03-27-2009 03:39 PM

You guys are sooo friendly! Yes, I have heard of Kerikeri but have never been there, it is in the North Island of NZ.. a long way away. My porsche is straight from the factory so Im guessing they did put those 'stickers' there but have never seen them on other Boxsters and they dont look nice.They are black like the car but very noticeable and ruin the look I think. Maybe I will peel them off.None of your cars appear to have them.

Samson 03-27-2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crios
Stickers? Post some pics....never heard of this.

Kind of hard to see, but here.

My IS has a similar setup, but they're less noticeable with 4 doors. Over the past 8 years, they've made a difference, but take that car places the Boxster doesn't get to go. Like mud and gravel.

crios 03-27-2009 04:01 PM

Ah, I see them, so odd....take them off...lol

mills 03-27-2009 04:07 PM

Yes, that is them,thanks for putting that photo up. I better not meddle then, will just leave them.Chipped paint would be worse.

Jaxonalden 03-27-2009 05:08 PM

We (986 owners) don't have those because our rear fenders don't flare out like the 987 fenders do. They're obviously there to protect the paint from rocks that are kicked up by the front tires. If you do remove the "clear fender bra" don't ******************** when you start touching up those paint chips.

And I'll bet if you go to replace that clear film, Porsche will be asking more than you think they're worth.