Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2005, 02:11 PM   #1

Plastic Rear Window

I've purchased an 01 Boxster and the plastic rear window has a deformation in it. It's as if someone had taken a screwdriver to it and stretched it to the breaking point, that is, there's no puncture.

I was thinking of taking a hairdryer to it to soften it up and maybe smooth it out to its original condition. Is this a good idea, or no? Any other suggestions.

P Walsh

wpwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 02:43 PM   #2

I had something similar in my Miata plastic window after I lowered it incorrectly and let it sit for a while. It took several weeks in the up position for the deformation to go away but not completely. Very annoying, luckily I found a new top for $300 (with glass) and avoided the whole issue. I would take it to an expert who installs tops to see what he suggests. Perhaps you can replace just the plastic.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 05:17 PM   #3

Unless you are driving the car even during the winter season, why don't you wait 'til the weather gets a little warmer to allow things like plastic window would be more softened up a bit. Then I would let it sit in the sun a while and apply some pressure in the affected area with a pad of soft cloth to see if it would go back down. Many plastics have "memories" to return to its original shape provided that the temperature is ideal.
tomatjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 05:19 PM   #4

Just wait for the summer, leave the top up for a while in the 80 degrees sun, and I bet it gets better after a while
JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:59 AM   #5

Plastic Rear Window

The previous owner was probably in the habit of lowering the top without executing the "chop" maneuver, i.e. lowering the top part way, then getting out of the car and pressing down the little peak in the plastic that invariably forms pretty much right in the middle of the window.
Big pain in the tailfeathers to be sure, but it is about the only way to prevent long term damage to the window, and ultimately a split in the plastic.

Last edited by Ronzi; 01-27-2005 at 08:02 AM.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:48 AM   #6

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll wait until the warm weather hits and try JohnnyBGood's idea.

Beautiful car, Ronzi!
Old 01-27-2005, 08:50 AM   #7

Thanks Again

Sorry Tomatjs, it was your idea, wasn't it. Thanks again.

P Walsh
Old 01-27-2005, 08:57 AM   #8
porsche986

yes

Everyones plastic window will crack at some time, the chop method works well but is a little embarrassing.

new windows are easy to replace and takes about 24 hours at a body shop.
£350.00 in total
Old 01-31-2005, 12:54 PM   #9

My first sports cars were Healey Sprites, Triumph Spitfires, and sundry models of MGs. On those babies you had to put up an erector set frame and then drape a piece of canvas over it with a multitude of straps and snaps to hold the whole mess together, so chopping the back window on the Box is a negligible problem.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 01:28 PM   #10

I have taken the "chop embarassment" to a whole new level!

Because the elastic straps on my original 1997 covertible top are so worn out and stretched to the max, I have a little routine I must follow each time I take the top down by chopping the plastic window, then chopping the canvas above the window because if I don't, it makes the hole I have in it grow... the switch in the center of the metal piece that comes down to cover the top has made a hole.

Now putting the top up also requires manual adjustments due to those worn out elastic bands. both the left and right side of the top near the window framing comes out from the groove in which it should remain. I must raise the top half way and then run my fingers around the canvas to insure it seats well into that groove on both sides of the car.

Just as soon as I sort out my transmission issues (1st gear has teeth missing) I'm going to replace this top. Grrrr!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 02:35 PM   #11

sounds like you have work to do Randal....I wouldnt let that transmission problem go too long...might lead to more trouble...
Old 02-01-2005, 06:29 AM   #12

Transmission is being torn down as you read this post. My mechanic has a tranny in his garage that has 2nd and 3rd gears out (or the piece that engages these gears) and is going to take the main shaft and 1st gear (welded together, from what I hear) out of his and put it in mine. Let's all keep our fingers crossed that this works as it will be a cheap fix... he's only asking $1100 including parts and labor.

Next comes the new top!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 08:55 AM   #13

have you tried cabrioworld? Their offices aren't far from me, I've ordered from them in the past. They have the best prices on quality tops. Actually they are just a distributor but on a very large scale.
Their boxster tops start at $450

Box Top

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote