Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 04:52 AM   #1

Out Of Storage Friday Chi-town???

So, it's supposed to be 65 in Chicago land this Friday! I'm thinking it's time to take out the Boxster! What do you think? Yeah, I know it's going to snow again... but, man it's been sitting there for almost 4 months! Plus my new stereo is ready to go! And 65!!!

bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:06 AM   #2

The streets are still caked with salt residue...though tempting, I would wait until the spring rains have washed all that nasty stuff away, but that's just me. Others drive their cars all winter long without fear, so if you take it out, give it a good bath (underneath) before putting back in the garage.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95

Last edited by jmatta; 03-04-2009 at 04:05 PM.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #3

Good advise! I thought of the same thing as well... I'll play it by ear. If I can get my garage cleaned up nicely tomorrow then I'll probably take it. I have a lot of junk that's been piling up around it (not too close to it). If I can get the floors cleaned from the other cars and tools moved then it's a GO! I usually wait until end of March or April... but this winter has been brutal and I need this.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:20 AM   #4

I am targeting the first day of spring, Mar 20. It will be raining here this weekend... even if it hits 60, I won't be able to pop the top off.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:40 AM   #5

I'm kind of glad that I have mine in a heated warehouse. I won't be tempted to take it out until I can keep it out.
bkiersz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:00 AM   #6

Well, I took her out today for my 1st spring drive to work! WOW, I forgot how fun that car is! The only thing is that it wouldn't take gas I had that problem last year for a while until it "fixed" itself. I think it's the slipped hose deal in the tank. I checked the fuse last year and that was not the problem. Anyway... it took me a looooong time to get some gas in it! I had some already... but I wanted to top it off. Oh well.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:46 AM   #7
bmussatti

Mine has been in storage since mid October. I plan to get the car out in about 2 weeks to re-treat the top with Ragg Topp and hope to get a long drive in by late March.

In fact, I called State Farm today to reactive the insurance soon!

I love Spring. :dance:

It's like getting a "new" car every April, when winter hibernation ends.

Last edited by bmussatti; 03-05-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:40 AM   #8

Mine's sitting at the mother-in-laws house while she's in Florida! She was nice enough to leave me her old lady Lexus which I've been using on occasion! I also have the itch to go get the Boxster this weekend... I wasn't able to change the oil before I took it up there in Jan, so it's driving me nuts thinking about the dirty oil! If I bring it back, something's got to sit on the driveway - hmmm, I think it would need to be the mother-in-laws Lexus! LOL
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #9

Well, fellow Chicagoans...we hit 65* this afternoon. Took advantage and washed the salt off our three other vehicles; wow, they actually have colors other than white. Boxy still sits in the garage (insurance on hold) and the 911's up in Wisconsin in a nice heated building.

Think I'll take the Grand Cherokee for a drive with the windows down, since today was a "work from home" day anyway.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #10

I'm in the Chicagoland area this week and I am flabbergasted by the amount of salt I see on the roads and on cars.

I don't think I would drive any sort of decent car here during the winter.

I really hate the heat and humidity of Houston, but driving my box year round without concerns about salt are certainly a plus.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #11

I say get the car out as much as you can guys...you'll never look back on your life and wish you drove the Porsche less. I took mine out yesterday and today, and will drive it as long as the daytime high is 5 degrees or higher (celcius that is..so to my American friends, 41 or so) and not pouring rain.

What a blast it is to get the car out again!
Old 03-06-2009, 08:50 AM   #12

Yup! Today marked the second day in a row for me now! What a gas driving down the interstate with the Boxster again!
I like what carguy said about looking back on life... go for it!
Old 03-08-2009, 09:10 AM   #13

I'm a little late in replying to this thread....we hit 70 degrees in NW Indiana (Valpo) Friday and the roads are clean over here so I got the Boxster out...I actually dropped the top for the first time since I bought it 6 weeks ago. I saw another Boxster in downtown Valpo...it was yellow w/black top...she waved, so I waved back.....it won't be much longer now and it'll be at least 6 months of top down weather.....SWEET!!!
NWI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #14

It has been above 50 for 2 days in a row and raining right now. Took my wife's C-70 and the Boxster out of storage today. It may be pushing it but why not. it is no use having 2 droptops and not have one to drive whenever the weather allows. After having to drive a pickup all winter I need the Boxsters pleasures. Ed

cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote