Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #21

I'm not a fan of bmw's and getting the porsche would be a bit redundant as someone said earlier. I would personally go with something like a dodge viper. You could get a convertible version for the same price if it were a 05 with about 10k miles. Thats just me.

Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #22

WOW and HOLY SMOKES!!! So many varied responses! Most seem loyal to the boxster/cayman line, others recommend other semi-exotics. Not too many fans of the bimmer M line. Yet others recommend putting the $$ under a mattress for a rainy day. I trully appreciate the input everyone! I really do! I just wanted a little something that says I've come a long way from driving a 1983 dodge colt for all the years of work I put into school and work. Seem silly to be stroking my ego I suppose but in a way, isn't that why we all own these cars? I do miss a back seat. Many times I have left my buddies on the sidewalk and taken the girl instead. (Haha!) I wish I did not have to finance the balance, but I'm not THAT successful yet! Well, for now the money is in the bank and this damn economy is still tanking so maybe prices of all things exotic will continue to fall. I'll heed the advice of the mattress bankers and save it up for now. Damn... that 911 sure looks good don't it??? And if I can get one for less than that one I found... maybe even (dare I dream) a TURBO? *pinches self* haha! Well thanks again for the input fellas. Much appreciated!
conradtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradtan
WOW and HOLY SMOKES!!! So many varied responses! Most seem loyal to the boxster/cayman line, others recommend other semi-exotics. Not too many fans of the bimmer M line. Yet others recommend putting the $$ under a mattress for a rainy day. I trully appreciate the input everyone! I really do! I just wanted a little something that says I've come a long way from driving a 1983 dodge colt for all the years of work I put into school and work. Seem silly to be stroking my ego I suppose but in a way, isn't that why we all own these cars? I do miss a back seat. Many times I have left my buddies on the sidewalk and taken the girl instead. (Haha!) I wish I did not have to finance the balance, but I'm not THAT successful yet! Well, for now the money is in the bank and this damn economy is still tanking so maybe prices of all things exotic will continue to fall. I'll heed the advice of the mattress bankers and save it up for now. Damn... that 911 sure looks good don't it??? And if I can get one for less than that one I found... maybe even (dare I dream) a TURBO? *pinches self* haha! Well thanks again for the input fellas. Much appreciated!
If your buddies are taller than 4 ft and you wanna give out rides then another reason to go with the M car. Can't fit more than a couple little kids in the back of a 911.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:13 PM   #24

If you must ... pick up a new Kia for $12 or the Nissan Versa for $10k. And put the rest under the mattress until you feel better about the economy.

In the mean time... drive the "fun" out of the Boxster.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #25

If I had $50k to drop on a car I'd probably buy the Lotus Exige.

http://www.lotuscars.com/exige_s260_sport.html

I've seen some used ones for around $50k.
941MXVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #26

No one said you couldn't keep your Boxster right...

I would go with a nicely worked Replica 356 Speedster... great weekender.

Secondly, I would add a 2002-2003 M3 coupe love that car.

Problem is that I am out of garage space at that point...

What to do... decisions, decisions.
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
That is NOT a good price for the Porsche. I don't know much about BMWs.

If you can not pay cash for either, I'd take a pass.

IMO this is the best advice, but you're not me either. Surprisingly, I looked up 2004 911's in Consumer Reports (I know, I know) and it got horrible marks. 911, more fun and flashy, BMW V-8, awesome growl and usable back seat and more practical.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #28

drive both and that should be the deciding factor since you're obviously set on getting a new ride. While the advise posted has been spot on, it sounds like you want something tangible to justify the hard work you've put in at work. therefore, if limited to the 2 choices, I would go with the C4; however, like the others have said, you can do better on the price. btw, don't get me wrong, the m3 is a nice ride, (I had an '02 cab), but the 911 will probably fit the bill between performance, prestige, familiarity (since you've already got a boxster) etc. But again, drive both, you might be surprised.

somewhat off topic, if I had $50k, I would go w/the cayman S!
jjanari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #29

I'd pick up a Ferrari F355 rag top.

There are several of them on craigslist in the bay area right now. Someone just listed one today for $42k. It's got 45k miles on it, which is higher than average for one of these. They are also really expensive to service, but if you don't drive that many miles per year, it would be really fun to own.
roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:18 AM   #30

50K? I would go for 911 or just add more blings into the boxster to make it more fun! PS9, expensive wheels, stereo?, 3.4 engine conversion?, supercharger etc. I wouldn' go for cayman since there's zeintop and you can have the best of both worlds with the boxs...

If you love American cars, then corvette ZR is the way to go! You can always stuff your friends on the trunk and let the lady take the seat
Old 03-06-2009, 06:49 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer311
I'd pick up a Ferrari F355 rag top.

There are several of them on craigslist in the bay area right now. Someone just listed one today for $42k. It's got 45k miles on it, which is higher than average for one of these. They are also really expensive to service, but if you don't drive that many miles per year, it would be really fun to own.
$8000 oil change along with $19k for major maintenance. Yep they're good deal to buy.

http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/cardetail.php?reqcardir=FE-355S-106122

Last edited by ekam; 03-06-2009 at 06:55 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:12 AM   #32

Though tempting. those prices are high right now.

I just sold my 911 and was a half second from picking up a 2003 4s for 29k before I realized I shouldn't do it and I sold mine for a reason. That was a steal.

Turbo's can easily be had for 45k now a days. Keep shopping and go big with it
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:13 AM   #33

so what did you buy?

911 turbo???
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
so what did you buy?

911 turbo???

He decided to save the money for now....

I faced the same kind of quandary. It's funny that a 911 C4S was also one of my top choices. My other top choice was a Maserati Coupe GT. I also considered the Lotus Exige, MB SL500/SLK350, Audi TT, and Infiniti G35. I test drove most of those cars. I was leaning more towards a 2+2 coupe though as I really wanted back seats for my kids and dogs. Based on my positive experience with my Boxster I ended up keeping it in the family and getting a C4S, like the original poster wanted. No regrets.... well except I didn't realize just how close the Turbos are now in price to the C4S. Still I don't think I could have afforded that additional jump up to Turbo territory. HOWEVER, it is certainly something for the rest of you to consider right now. Good used 996 Turbos are relatively "cheap" right now!

My purchase from April:

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:32 PM   #35

Sat in a Lotus Elise for auto-x on the weekend, you really have to be a contortionist to get in and out of that car!

And forget about girls wearing skirts. She will NOT get in or out of the car for sure unless her name is Lindsay Lohan.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #36

The Porsche, though in all honesty, I'd probably go for a Z06 that's a year to two old. I'd get an Exige too, but I don't fit in them by like two feet.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:19 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
$8000 oil change along with $19k for major maintenance. Yep they're good deal to buy.
http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/cardetail.php?reqcardir=FE-355S-106122
I'll be doing my own oil changes. If I had a lift, I'd be doing my own engine-out service. A major engine-out service including replacing cam belts is usually $5k to $7k. Whoever owned the car in that link got hosed for service. A good clean <20k mile Ferrari 355 with services done is still going for about $65k though.
roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:10 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer311
I'll be doing my own oil changes. If I had a lift, I'd be doing my own engine-out service. A major engine-out service including replacing cam belts is usually $5k to $7k. Whoever owned the car in that link got hosed for service. A good clean <20k mile Ferrari 355 with services done is still going for about $65k though.

I thought about an F355. I've been shopping for a year and I've seen 50K mile cars in the low 40's and 30K cars running in the mid 50's down to high 40's. Not bad IMHO for a mid-engine V8 super car. Part of what scared me away from them though is not just the high cost of service, but also the high cost of parts if you decide to do the service yourself (which I do). For example, I just changed the rear wheel bearings on my Boxster and they were $36 each. On a Maserati (Ferrari parts) they are $630 each. I think they're a bit more, like $50 each on my 996. What's nice about Porsches is that the parts are more affordable and there are several discount parts sources on the Net. For example, there is only one Maserati discount source on the Net and they don't carry everything. If I blow the engine on my Boxster or 996 I can get a used one for $5K. How much would a used engine on an F355 be? Last I checked I could only find one for $20K!!!

The other thing about the Ferrari is that I saw one this last year at a car show when I was seriously considering them. The car looked nice and I watched the car drive off and it sounded okay, but honestly it didn't stir my soul like the TechArt 996 does with the FabSpeed exhaust. I didn't think it was really worth the extra coin. Beautiful car, no doubt, but I think the hype over the wonderful noise and sensations of this car is a bit over done.

As for the Corvette Z06 - nice car but honestly they're a dime a dozen and it's nearly impossible to tell the Z06 from a standard Corvette when it's zipping down the highway. I've never been much of one to care what others think, but it is nice to have a car that really stands out and people admire. I picked up my 996 in Monterey, CA and on the 4 hour drive home I had someone take my picture while passing them on the highway and I had someone getting a picture of their kid with the car at a rest stop. It gets attention. If I had been driving a Z06 these people would have just yawned.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:14 AM   #39

Hehe... you guys are great! I put the money in the bank and am waiting for the newer model turbo prices to come down a bit more. I don't think there's any other option for me!

conradtan is offline   Reply With Quote