Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 06:15 AM   #1

Exclamation Boxster sales down 60%

http://www.motorauthority.com/porsche-sales-hit-hard-by-economic-crisis-boxster-fares-worst.html

I hate to tell the truth, but it's losing its character slowly.

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:35 AM   #2
bmussatti

I don't think it is the "character" of the car...it is the economy. Great time to buy luxury items, if you are a cash buyer.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:49 AM   #3

It's the cheapest Porsche and it's seeing the most significant drop compare to the rest of the lineup. By what you're saying, 911 should receive the most significant drop instead since it's the more expensive car.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:37 AM   #4

The Boxster & Cayman seem to be slightly "overpriced" when held up against their closest "performance" competitors - more so than the 911.

I would have to drive it first, but just looking at & reading the reviews of the new 370Z, I would be hard pressed to plop down for s 2009 Box S Or Cayman S at twice the price. And I LIKE Porsches! People just love that 911, no matter what. It's almost like potential 911 purchasers just don't seem to be thrilled about getting an R8, AMV8, or M3. They've waited for a 911, and dammit, that's what they're getting... a 911. The Bosxter never really had that sort of loyalty. I guess one could say that the GT-R makes the 911 look silly, but other than sticker price, they don't strike me as true competitors (not the base or S versions anyway.)
Arctic Silver /Black interior
Desnorkled then REsnorkled (planning on Revo flash & prob B&B Exhaust)
mylamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:00 AM   #5

I think it's a combination of both....

Yes the Boxster is losing some cache due to it's age and is getting serious challenges from down market. It did not have a new model intro in Fall whereas the 911 did. That's part 1. Part 2 of the drop could be defined by it being the least expensive car in the line up. As such, it's the car that can pull tertiary customers up from less expensive cars. ie. the typical mid life crisis buyer looking at a Miata, S2000 or 350Z b/c he/she can 'stretch' and afford one by cashing out some equity or taking a long loan, etc. However, since the mkts have tanked, their homes have lost value (not many haven't) and they either stick down the price stream, or forgo the purchase entirely. So, it's a combination of both - part 2 is bad enough on it's own but it exacerbates the problems created by part 1. Remember, Boxster sales were weakening before our current 'meltdown' (also explains all the SE, LE, and design series that were released to try and stave the drop off as much as possible).

The 911, as stated above, benefited from a revamp in fall to the 997.2 (w/ IMS-less motor) and the release of the 997 Turbo Cab (yes in 9/07 but not really commonly avail until '08). Sales will be helped up as much as possible by GT2 and GT3s. The 911's sales drops will be more a pure function of the financial situation and car buying in total. Even the pepper is starting to show signs of that (whereas they bucked the trend even when gas was 2xs as expensive).

The plus (for buyers) is how much the used mkt is coming down on all of these - of course that's a big big minus for us current owners but no one is immune. Personally, I think you'll see 911s will start taking some big hits in depreciation (as Boxsters already are/have). I'm seeing way too many 997s in the used mkts. In fact one local dealer has 12 (four - '08, five - '07, two - '06, 1 - '05). Under 'normal' circumstances, first off they would have only 1/2 that many, but more importantly the MY spread would be reversed.

JM2C - YMMV
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:05 AM   #6

Boxster sales have declined every year since their peak sales of the 2000 model. And these have been steady declines.

Factor in the competition and the economy and a 60% decline actually seems a surpringly good number.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:15 AM   #7

Several thoughts

1-The economy

2-The car is priced quite high vs its real competitors.

3-The derivative styling will hurt it. I love the Box looks but many folks want a fresh design or the they write the car off.

4-Marketing and sales-I am sure Porsche has more margin in the 911 line. Ditto the Cayeene.

5-The economy

6-The green movement. Those guys simply hate sports cars, even if they get 30 MPG.

7-The economy, did I mention that yet?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:16 AM   #8

As the entry level Porsche, the Boxster is (was) in reach of the middle class buyer. Now that the economy has tanked many middle class buyers are priced out of the market. Hence, the decline in Boxster sales.

1997 E36 M3/4/5
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/w...ygug/arial.jpg
gerrygug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #9

roadsters are bad for long term car sales.

They may be hot for a while, the "gotta have it" item but that wears off eventually.

The big problem even in a strong economy, which obviously this is not, is that the car has only two seats. That's a lot of moolah to go fun seeking while leaving junior with the baby sitter or your girlfriend's little sister at home.
People need more practicality from their luxury purchases. So instead they buy a "luxury SUV" (Cayenne) or a Luxury coupe (Carrera). You can jam some baby seats in those all day long, which is what your average middle aged wife is going to demand from hubby before raiding the piggy bank.

The problem for the Boxster is that it's too much of a real sports car. It's simply much easier for a car company to hack the roof off a coupe and satisfy the "doesn it come in a convertible" crowd. Purists are too few and their choices too many.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #10

Porsche should make a Boxster infomercial with Vince from Shamwow. He could use the trademarked "you know the Germans make good stuff" line, and throw out an incentive for the next hour "because they can't do that all day".

That 60% would be cut in half in no time.

:dance:
bkiersz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #11

Vince would really class up the brand if he did that infomercial after he had a close encounter with a razor. That three day beard's gotta go if he's gonna start selling German wheels.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkiersz
Porsche should make a Boxster infomercial with Vince from Shamwow. He could use the trademarked "you know the Germans make good stuff" line, and throw out an incentive for the next hour "because they can't do that all day".

I like that idea.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee

6-The green movement. Those guys simply hate sports cars, even if they get 30 MPG.

Seriously? You get 30 mpg out of your box?
I barely get 20 ....
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:49 PM   #14

A buddy of mine that is into nicer cars told me the other day that he's seeing 05 997s below $40k now, and some even very close to $30k on the used market. Not bad, IMHO.

If I were to be looking for a job, and land a higher paying job, I'd be tempted to buy myself a nice primo used 997!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
Seriously? You get 30 mpg out of your box?
I barely get 20 ....

Cruise control at 70MPH. About 28.5 MPG.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Cruise control at 70MPH. About 28.5 MPG.

I averaged 31mpg on a road trip from Austin TX to Phoenix AZ and back, with a little local driving while I was there. All calculated by distance traveled / fuel consumed.

I was pleasantly surprised.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
I averaged 31mpg on a road trip from Austin TX to Phoenix AZ and back, with a little local driving while I was there. All calculated by distance traveled / fuel consumed.

I was pleasantly surprised.
BTW- That is a great color on your box. What is it?

:dance:

Old 03-04-2009, 09:17 AM   #18

The economy is the lynchpin. In this economy, any discretionary spend is a luxury that people are cutting out. And in the world of discretionary spending, 2-seater sports cars from a manufacturer that has a premium price for the name, that aren't super-economical, that cost more to insure and to own, are among those items that will be a very, very hard sell.

I'm surprised sales aren't off by 80%. As for 911's, at least they have four seats so I can tell my wife that it's really a "family car" (if your family includes two children who are double amputees).
Old 03-04-2009, 11:52 AM   #19

Well the economy is certainly the sharp stick in this current sales reporting. But, it doesn't account at all for the steady decline in Boxster sales since the '00 model year. I believe the single greatest factor is Porsche's refusal to arm the Boxster with the same HP performance (albeit w/ optional power pkgs.) than they offer for the 911. People just aren't going to lay out what Porsche is asking to get those dismal numbers.

In contrast, sales of other open tops such as the Miata, Z3/4 and Audi TT cab's have held steady or actually increased through much of this decade (current past 2 quarters excepted) .

That says to me that Porsche simply has not produced the car people want and/or has failed to properly market the car. It's definitely always been the red-headed stepchild behind the 911, cayenne and cayman. Personally, I think we're going to see this market kill the Boxster off for good (which may actually boost prices/demand for pre-owned ones).

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote