986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Difference PSM & TS (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/19766-difference-psm-ts.html)

gvravesteijn 03-02-2009 12:58 AM

Difference PSM & TS

I am thinking about buying a Boxster this spring. Now I am reading a lot about them. One question that I can't seam to find the answer to is:

What is the difference between TS (traction system) and PSM (porsche stability management)?

Thanks!
/G

renzop 03-02-2009 02:43 AM

Most car manufacturers have some form of Traction Control System (it is known by varios acronyms). Most limit engine power when one or both drive wheels slip. Some manufacturers also have a Stability Management System (PSM is one such system). Like other stability mgmt systems PSM combines accelerometers, ABS sensors, steering wheel position sensor, throttle sensor and a computer to determine if the car is understeering or oversteering and then individually applies brakes to correct the problem.

Blue-S 03-02-2009 08:05 AM

True, but traction control systems also use individual wheel brake application to limit wheel spin. This is especially prevalent on vehicles without electronic throttle control. Stability control systems also use engine torque reduction in addition to individual wheel brake application.

gvravesteijn 03-02-2009 01:27 PM

Thanks.

I went to the german porsche website and it seams to me that the PSM mostly adds fictionality for handling understeering or oversteering. Would PSM be something I would need or would the traction system be enough? Or is without the best - put me as a driver to the test?

bmussatti 03-02-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gvravesteijn
Thanks.

I went to the german porsche website and it seams to me that the PSM mostly adds fictionality for handling understeering or oversteering. Would PSM be something I would need or would the traction system be enough? Or is without the best - put me as a driver to the test?

PSM is very good. Also known as, "Please Save Me"!

Samson 03-03-2009 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gvravesteijn
Thanks.

I wouldn't say it's a must have, but it is nice to know it's there when needed. The Porsche system also lets you get away with a bit of tail-out fun before it noticeably cuts in on the action.

Traction control on a RWD car is functionally a form of stability control as well, just not to the extent of a stability management system. My IS300 has an LSD (meaning that it can be a bit touchy in low-traction situations) and traction control, but no stability control. If you pull out on to a slick surface with a bit too much right foot, the system cuts in and reduces engine power, in turn minimizing your chances of swapping ends if you aren't paying attention. Sure, you'll get there faster with it turned off, but then you scare your passengers. ;)

Anyway, I say traction control is good to have (especially with the open diff in the Boxster), and PSM would be a nice bonus.

ekam 03-03-2009 05:54 AM

Just be aware that the PSM comes on very late compare to most stability management systems. You still have to know how to drive.

bmussatti 03-03-2009 06:14 AM

PSM in combo with Sport Chrono is also very good on the 987.

gvravesteijn 03-04-2009 01:20 PM

Thanks all for your answers. I am looking at buying one with PSM.

I liked this one a lot. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
PSM is very good. Also known as, "Please Save Me"!