Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 04:34 AM   #1

Smile key prob?

as many of you know i got a used 02 basic boxster about a month ago. i really love it and how smooth the engine is (although, i keep waiting for the dreaded explosion). in my infinite wisdom i took apart the key which is just the basic key without remote but with capacitor or whatever inside. only a couple of small minor parts fell out and disappeared. so of course the car would not turn over. soooo i used the other key and all was well. where can i get a new key for a relatively reasonable price or can my other key be repaired for an ok price? i hid my embarasment for as long as i can

mrfredsporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:24 AM   #2

Sounds like you lost the RFID chip in the head of the key. A dealer will be glad to sell you a new key cap (head of the key). You do not need a new blade.

And the dealer will have to program the car to the new key/cap.

Althought you can buy the key cap from SunCoast. A dealer will still have to program the car.

Good luck.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:58 AM   #3

I try not to go to my local Porsche dealership. Their prices are just not reasonable. That being said, when I purchased my 2000 Boxster last year the owner only had one key. I checked around, but to make a new functional key, you really have to go to a Porsche dealership. I think the new key, including the door lock/unlock/security programing was about $400. Took about 30 min. But now I have peace of mind in case I loose a key.

Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:21 AM   #4

If you know the general location where the chip may have fallen out, get a strong magnet and pass it over the area. The chip (also known as the 'Pill') is just a transducer coil and so will be attracted to the magnet.

Expect a dealer visit for this to run $90-$150. So, if you expend $89 worth of effort and find it, you're ahead. Good luck.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:31 PM   #5

MRFREDSPORTY: " i hid my embarasment for as long as i can"

This is so true! I actually lost the innards in my only key too. My car starts, so I haven't been able to bring myself to spend the money to get a new key. But unfortunately, I set my car alarm off about every other time I manually unlock my car...