986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Mobil 1 Rebate (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/19714-mobil-1-rebate.html)

70Sixter 02-24-2009 01:22 PM

Mobil 1 Rebate

From the Cayman Club:

http://supply.mobil1.com/

$10 back with 5 Qt purchase. Limit 2/family.

timothy 02-24-2009 02:10 PM

The glorious details
Click the "Get Rebate" button below to register and print the offer form now (available for a limited time only). Save the form for a future Mobil 1 purchase made between April 1 and August 31, 2009. Then, mail in your Mobil 1 proof of purchase with the offer form to receive your $10 rebate check.

FTD 02-25-2009 06:36 AM

Excellent! Right about the time I will be due for an oil change.

Heads up: When creating an account, for first and last name, as well as street address I put 'private'. The rebate form now has my name and address as 'private', which won't work if they want to send me some $. :(

Don't do what I did. :)

Thanks for telling us about the rebate. :cheers:

S3adrag0n 02-25-2009 09:28 AM

I'm over due for mine. Thanks for the info!

dcporsche99 02-25-2009 10:57 AM

Thanks for the info!! :cheers:

Perfectlap 02-25-2009 12:09 PM

don't mean to throw a bomb on the party but I'm going to stop using Mobil 1 and start using Castrol Syntec 5w-40 which is on Porsche's approved list. M1 was changed recently and I've heard it doesn't provide enough protection for both chain and bearing wear. Its obviously a controversial topic but if you search Pelican and Rennlist you'll see at least one engine rebuilder who will not guarantee a rebuild if M1 is used at all or zero weights.

FTD 02-25-2009 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
don't mean to throw a bomb on the party but I'm going to stop using Mobil 1 and start using Castrol Syntec 5w-40 which is on Porsche's approved list. M1 was changed recently and I've heard it doesn't provide enough protection for both chain and bearing wear. Its obviously a controversial topic but if you search Pelican and Rennlist you'll see at least one engine rebuilder who will not guarantee a rebuild if M1 is used at all or zero weights.

Sounds like good information. Why did you choose Castol other than the approval? Have you ever used Redline? It gets high ratings from the members here.

ekam 02-25-2009 01:22 PM

Mobil1 is not longer 100% true synethic oil. Stay away.

jmatta 02-25-2009 02:29 PM

Keep the Mobil 1...I'm running Royal Purple 5W40.

Yes, this is a controversial topic, but I've read Charles Navarro and Jake Raby's comments and that's good enough for me.

tommy986 02-25-2009 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmatta
Keep the Mobil 1...I'm running Royal Purple 5W40.

Yes, this is a controversial topic, but I've read Charles Navarro and Jake Raby's comments and that's good enough for me.

Where are you getting Royal Purple 5W40? at a FLAPS?
what price you paying?

thanks

Tommy

chitowndad 02-25-2009 06:10 PM

Does Royal Purple make a 0W40 and why did you go up to the 5W40? The 5W is for winter protection, right? Does 5W and 0W make a difference?

Jmatta,
Where in chicago-land did you pick up Royal Purple and how much per quart?

-Steve

jmatta 02-26-2009 05:50 AM

I usually get it from my Porsche tuner shop, but you can also get it through AutoZone (usually special order) or even Amazon these days. It will run you $9 to $10 or so a quart, but worth it (I change my oil once a year, less than 3000 miles).

I'd check with some of the high end european indy shops in your area; many of the indy's are RP dealers.

The recommended european formula is 5W40...I can't believe there's much difference between 0 and 5; I don't run it in winter anyway.

Check the online stores; lots of them carry it.

Brucelee 02-26-2009 07:11 AM

To my knowlege, Red Line is the only Group V full syn you can buy today. That is why I use it.

Bob Z. 02-26-2009 08:00 AM

I use AMSOIL in my bike...got a bunch of Mobil 1 in the garage though so that will go first. Regardless, I cannot see why Mobil 1 cannot be used.

70Sixter 02-27-2009 10:48 AM

Wow. Had no idea I would stir up all the discussion with a simple rebate link!

Anyway, I enjoyed the opinions expressed. Jmatta mentioned Charles Navarro and I just happened to be reading his oil treatise.

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

I was reading the FAQs under "What viscosity should I use in my Porsche?" My brain is tired.

941MXVET 02-27-2009 12:53 PM

This must be one of the hardest topics to discuss, but the info provided on LN's website is very informative. I've ordered 10 Quarts of Swepco 5w-30 due to it's ZDDP and Moly levels for my next oil change. However seeing the link to the PDF file "Oils ain't Oil" I'm really thinking of switching to Royal Purple instead. Thanks to the LN, Flat Six guys for sharing their expertice on a very complicated topic for us layman!

I'll probably still use the Swepco as for now though.

jmatta 02-27-2009 02:16 PM

Hey 70Sixter...your post is very timely and it seems like all oil discussions go all over the place these days. This board is very informative and I think it's good to point out the good and bad and let indiviuals make their own decision.

As for opinions, you know what they say: "Like ************************************s, everybody has one"

machone 03-04-2009 10:17 AM

Another oil post....

OK, so to add on to this thread a little late -

I've read through LN's and Jake Raby's site, and all of the posts I can find.

I see that Royal Purple 5W-30 appears to be a good choice, as well as Swepco. I see on LN's website that is Brad Penn is their recommended oil for aircooled P-cars, does the same apply for the water-cooled descendants?

I happen to have a local distributor for Brad Penn, although its a little more out of the way than the Royal Purple. Is anyone running the Brad Penn in their 986?

I'm an engineer by education, so when I saw I could do oil analysis and really get an idea of the oil composition, I was sold. Is there anyone currently doing it that could add any comments on composition trends to look for? i.e., my X content started to climb, and then I had to buy a new motor?

Thanks,
-Michael
'99 w/ 40K hoping to keep its original motor

S3adrag0n 03-23-2009 09:19 AM

Bummer!! I just changed mine with M1 (10-30). The guy that I bought my Boxster from said that he had changed about 7k ago. Man, it was a good thing I did it (first time for me; I was a virgin!). It looked like he didn't even change the oil while he had the car (about 3 years with 10K; carfax report). The filter looked realy bad and the oil was a bit thick and syrup.

I'll just changed it early next time. By then, we'll have have our oil brand sorted out!

Brucelee 03-23-2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S3adrag0n
Bummer!! I just changed mine with M1 (10-30). The guy that I bought my Boxster from said that he had changed about 7k ago. Man, it was a good thing I did it (first time for me; I was a virgin!). It looked like he didn't even change the oil while he had the car (about 3 years with 10K; carfax report). The filter looked realy bad and the oil was a bit thick and syrup.

I'll just changed it early next time. By then, we'll have have our oil brand sorted out!

Porsche specs a 40 wght oil for this engine, not 10W-30. If it were me, I would change it now.

VFX 03-23-2009 10:34 AM

OK I may be a little naive here & I don't pretend to know anything about engines & lubricants, but I just had a service from MCL Porsche Vancouver & they used M1.
In fact my car has had M1 from the official Porsche dealer from factory until now.

Why would Porsche still keep using M1 if it is bad for my engine?

:confused:

Perfectlap 03-23-2009 10:45 AM

^ well if they stopped using it because they didn't like the new formulation, that would probably open the door to the lawyers representing Porsche owners with fried engines.

Jaxonalden 03-23-2009 11:35 AM

Like Brucelee wrote, "Porsche specs a 40 wght oil for this engine, not 10W-30". I don't know where people get 10W30 is OK, except from other cars. Ours specifically states 0W40. There’s one thing I've always been told, you can swap oil manufactures but not oil weights.

BTW, last night I gave my Boxster 9.25 quarts of the good stuff, Royal Purple 0W40 at the cost of $100. Worth every penny.

70Sixter 03-24-2009 01:06 PM

The approved list on the TSB does not have one 30 weight. There are 0W-40, 5W-40, and 5W-50 weights approved for worldwide or USA/Canada.

Most are Mobil 1, but there are four Total Quartz and Activa oils, including a 5W-40 diesel oil.

I'm going back to 5W-40 when I change my oil and filter next month. Probably will go with the LN adapter for spin on filters.

By the way, the approvals have expiration dates, tho manufacturers can request and sometimes receive extensions. Two M1s expire late this year.

jmatta 03-24-2009 03:24 PM

+1 on the Royal Purple. Charles Navarro at LN recommends 5W40 over 0W40, due to it's stronger foundation. I've run 5W40 and 10W40 Royal Purple, as my car only sees warm weather. After reading all the current write-ups, I may go back to the 10W40, as the base oil is exponentially different from 0W, all the way to 10W.

cas951 03-24-2009 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70Sixter
The approved list on the TSB does not have one 30 weight. There are 0W-40, 5W-40, and 5W-50 weights approved for worldwide or USA/Canada.

Most are Mobil 1, but there are four Total Quartz and Activa oils, including a 5W-40 diesel oil.

I'm going back to 5W-40 when I change my oil and filter next month. Probably will go with the LN adapter for spin on filters.

By the way, the approvals have expiration dates, tho manufacturers can request and sometimes receive extensions. Two M1s expire late this year.

10w-30 are listed in the owners manual. This depends on year.

70Sixter 03-25-2009 02:02 PM

Yep PL, it is a hot topic on a lot of boards. Saw a Jake Raby posting on another board (maybe Boxsterspec?) that he won't make oil recommendation because of the ensuing fireworks.

I'm going to use an approved oil, but not sure which. Just in case I ever have to try to negotiate an IED engine deal with Porsche.

70Sixter 03-25-2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cas951
10w-30 are listed in the owners manual. This depends on year.

Don't go by owners manual when Porsche issues approval in a regularly updated TSB and the approvals all have expiration dates.

You can read TSBs at RennTech if you are a contributing member. I highly recommend RennTech membership. It is pure tech w/o the OT fun and games. Access to a lot of documents.

Also the approved list I posted earlier was not all inclusive, just a sample showing the Mobil numbers relative to one other company.

Perfectlap 03-25-2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

+1 on the Royal Purple. Charles Navarro at LN recommends 5W40 over 0W40, due to it's stronger foundation. I've run 5W40 and 10W40 Royal Purple, as my car only sees warm weather. After reading all the current write-ups, I may go back to the 10W40, as the base oil is exponentially different from 0W, all the way to 10W.

What's a good price for Royal Purple per quart? I see them on Ebay with free shipping. Just ordered a couple of Mahle filters. Time to rinse and repeat.
Otherwise I'm going to see if I can find some Castrol Syntec locally.

bmussatti 03-25-2009 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
What's a good price for Royal Purple per quart? I see them on Ebay with free shipping. Just ordered a couple of Mahle filters. Time to rinse and repeat.
Otherwise I'm going to see if I can find some Castrol Syntec locally.

PL, I may try RP some day. Been using Red Line for about 3 years now in the Boxster. 5W40. It costs about $9.00/quart. Plus shipping. RP is comp in $$.

This may help too:

http://royalpurple.findlocation.com/

jmatta 03-25-2009 06:13 PM

My local AutoZone now has RP 5W40 and 10W40 stocked for 9.49 qt...

I'm going back and buy a case (sometimes they give case discounts).

941MXVET 03-26-2009 05:37 PM

I'm now using the Royal Purple 5w-40 as well. I was able to order a case through my local NAPA. It's pretty spendy, but I think worth it. Before I switched, I placed a call to their tech support, and they were very helpful, and answered all my questions.

Because the 5w-40 is ACEA A3\B3 rated, I guess the additive package had to come from Europe.

Perfectlap 03-28-2009 11:12 AM

my local autozone has Castrol syntec $25 for a case of 5, $7 each for M1 and $9 for RP.
hmmm....I'm tempted to go with the Castrol and change it a little more frequently than the RP.
How long is the shelf life for motor oil? I see oil prices moving higher and sooner than most folks expect. My local pump just jumped 7% in a week for high test.
Wonder if stocking up is smart.

jmatta 03-28-2009 01:41 PM

If you haven't read this before, do yourself a favor...

http://www.lnengineering.com/oiltest.pdf

urban_legend 03-28-2009 07:23 PM

Nice report

I guess I will use the Valvoline in my wife's car...

Frodo 06-17-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

If you haven't read this before, do yourself a favor...

http://www.lnengineering.com/oiltest.pdf

Why, I wondered, have so few people commented about this test result? Do people not put much stock in the testing protocol and, hence, the results. Those results would seem to indicate we shouldn't be using oils such as Red Line, Elf, Mobil 1, and Castrol, oils that are often popular with folks on this forum.

Just playing devil's advocate here...I don't profess to know a ton about the subject, though I have been reading a fair amount online (to the point where my head's swimming and I think I've gone slightly cross-eyed!)

70Sixter 06-17-2009 05:38 PM

There are comments all over the web, and not just on Porsche sites. There are a lot af different agendas. One being a hesitance to go outside factory recommendations.

Well, I'm off warranty and was still reluctant. I probably would've gone with M1 5w-40 that is on the approved list had it been available in US.

The research is overwhelmingly clear. There are better oils that the factory and others are reluctant to recommend for a lot of reasons. Like the Factory being politically and environmentally EU correct. Another being lawsuits when an engine fails using a non-factory-recommended that was recommended by Party of the First Part, One Snake Oil Salesman of XYZ, LLC.

As most sellers say, "Do the research and decide what you need." Or maybe even "I would not put Mobil 1 in My Engine."

To which I say: I did, I did, and I won't. :cheers:

schnellman 09-14-2009 05:57 AM

Back On Topic

This post started as a Mobil 1 rebate string, but seems to have gone all over since then.
So, I'll bring it back. It took 10 weeks, but I got my rebate check today for two rebate offers. Got my check for $20. Thanks Mobil!!

Kirk 09-14-2009 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schnellman
This post started as a Mobil 1 rebate string, but seems to have gone all over since then.
So, I'll bring it back. It took 10 weeks, but I got my rebate check today for two rebate offers. Got my check for $20. Thanks Mobil!!

Cool.... I had to get oil for my Box and 996. So I sent in 4 rebates using two addresses. I'm hoping that works and that I get $40 back!!! :p

Kirk