Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009, 11:38 PM   #1

let me know what you think?

Ok.. so i bought my 1997boxster in 2006 and have done alot maintenance work as well as mods to it. Well, I bought the car off of ebay and never really searched for the interior i wanted. I mean i just wanted a boxster that was silver and didn't care about the interior color. Well needless to say when i got the car the seller was very up front about the interior shape. He said the seats were in bad shape as the bolsters on them were shot.
So my first order of business was to replace them .. which I did by buying used seats from oklahoma foreign for a decent price. By the way my interior is like that bluish/grey color which I hate but like i said i was just happy to get a boxster in my price range at the time. When i got the newer seats they were black. They were in good shape but I wanted them brand new so i ordered dye kit from autoleather.com for like $50.00. I ended up doing over both seats last yr and they came out really good . The problem was I had blk seats and the rest of the interior which was bluish/grey.
Which got me to thinking should i start looking to buy new door panels ,dashboard,and carpet.. wow would that be costly ... I held off on doing anything instead painting the interior plastics pieces like everyone else artic silver . Which got really boring and pretty much vanilla. So, I started doing some research on new colors i could paint the pieces. At this point I came along the Range Rover Limited Edition color called TAMBORA FLAME, which is a like an orange color. I loved the color but the only problem i foresaw was it was going to look like crap with the bluish/grey interior.
So i was set on that color and decided to take on dying my interior black using an upholstery kit from leathermagic.com and spraying my dashboard ,door panels black using duplicolor vinyl & fabric paint. with the car basically apart I started masking off some areas in the car which I did not want paint to get on. I masked off the bottom of the door panels where I have carpet . I put on 3 layers of paint on the dashboard .. thin coats not thick letting it dry in between coats like 2 hrs.. probably could have done in less time but i rather be safe then sorry.. After i was happy with the way it all came out I then removed the seats so that I can do the carpet dying. I bought two kits of porsche blk dye from the leathermagic.com I did the door panels first then when on to the floor carpet and the back of the seat carpet. Anything I could remove that had carpet on it I did and dyed it out of the car in my garage. One thing I forgot to mention at the begin is i followed all the instructions per the labels on the dye and paint. With it being kinda of cold the carpet took a little longer to dry then normal but that was ok cause the car is not going any where as it is on my driveway covered.. since it snowed like 8 inches the other day..
So now I have my car of my dreams silver on blk. Plus it cost me maybe 300 as opposed to 250-500 just for a new dash .. another 400 door panels and plus the carpeting which i am going to figure would be 300 or more....1200-1500 i would think is a cheap in the end but never the less... O for those skeptics it does not look ghetto as it looks factory cause i prepped the parts correctly and took my time.. Let me know me know your thoughts? I will be posting pictures of the interior soon.

Last edited by clb0099; 03-06-2009 at 01:23 PM. Reason: I fixed the grammar and made easier on the eyes as per BM
clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:06 AM   #2

Sounds like fun project, I look forward to the pics. At first I was not wild about my black interior, with time it grew on me, now it is my color of choice,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:32 AM   #3

Silver with black interior is my faviorate combo for the Boxsters. Well it's our's color combo anyway and I like it a lot! At first I didn't care for the Silver with red interior but that combo has grown on me recently quite a bit. Looking foward to some pics!
941MXVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
bmussatti

Clb0099, holy cow, you need to buy a paragraph! That hurts my eyes.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:04 AM   #5

Hey clb, thanks for the report. Looking forward to the photos. I would especially appreciate some macro close up shots of the carpets you dyed. Did the texture of the carpets come back? Did the dye penetrate the nap of the carpeting deeply?

I have an Arctic Silver/Boxster Red, my favorite scheme for Boxsters/Caymans, except that the carpets are a bit too pinkish, and I'd like to get a deep red on them one day.
Gougoushu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #6

BM,

sorry about the whole long story.. i did it at 4 am ...and i tried to tab but had problems doing..
Old 03-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #7
FTD

I absolutely loved the story - like one long breath of wind story that just had to be told. Silver on black is sharp. Very ambitious project and I hope you LOVE it. Looking forward to pictures.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:53 AM   #8

Hey clb, thanks for the report. Looking forward to the photos. I would especially appreciate some macro close up shots of the carpets you dyed. Did the texture of the carpets come back? Did the dye penetrate the nap of the carpeting deeply?

I have an Arctic Silver/Boxster Red, my favorite scheme for Boxsters/Caymans, except that the carpets are a bit too pinkish, and I'd like to get a deep red on them one day.

Yea, the texture stayed the same the key was to not soak the carpet with the dye. As far as penetrating the bluish carpet , for sure it did cause you have to brush in the dye in little circles until it dries. Plus you let it dry for like 48 hrs and then do some touch ups in areas where you think it needs it. As far as pictures it is going to take me a bit but i will def. post them before and after so everyone can see what a difference it is.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #9
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb0099
BM,

sorry about the whole long story.. i did it at 4 am ...and i tried to tab but had problems doing..
Clb0099, no apology necessary. 4 AM is for a REM cycle, not typing. Try the "enter" key next time for a new paragraph.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #10

I actually read all that and there's no pictures?!!!!

My eyes hurt.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:38 PM   #11

That was like my 24 year old giving the lowdown on her night at the bar!!
Take a breath, take a breath!
Old 03-07-2009, 02:09 AM   #12

*update*

My camera took a crap and have had no luck getting my friend to come over and take some pictures. I will post the pictures as soon as possible.