Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 06:13 PM   #1

Question Strange 'bump' in pedals when using clutch - please help.

Tonight I noticed a very weird sensation when disengaging and reengaging the clutch (full travel). This occurs with or without the engine running. If you put you foot on the gas or brake pedal, and also use the clutch, when the clutch is almost all the way back up you feel a 'bump' like something is rubbing on the other pedals. The accelerator is more noticeable than the brake, but it is there.

I can't imagine what is causing this. Could it be the engine mount out of whack? It was fine yesterday and this morning.

Any thoughts?
Chris

Old 02-17-2009, 08:13 PM   #2

I think I know what you meen..When im going 30-40mph and I down shift 2 2nd and completely let my foot of the clutch fast and also break at the same time I feal this grind almost in the break pedal. I have no idea what it is, I had my dad drive it and he said he couldn't feal anything but I swear it's there.
Boxster_luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:29 AM   #3

Try this experiment - remove your driver's side floormat and test again.
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by renzop
Try this experiment - remove your driver's side floormat and test again.
There is plenty of clearance and would that only affect the lowest part of the travel? This is felt at the top of the travel after fully depressing the clutch (partial won't do it).
Seeing as I can feel it in the gas pedal mostly I am suspecting that the front engine mount is gone and the clutch disengagement is pulling the engine slightly.
I was planning of buying one of Pedro's mounts anyways so worth a try.
Chris
Old 02-18-2009, 04:42 PM   #5

X2 on floor mat.

I had the feeling about three times and was starting to freak. As the clutch pedal was moving back to normal position, I was feeling a strange kind of movement in the brake and gas pedal and one time both, depending on where my right foot was positioned. One time I felt it on my right shoe and not in the pedals. I thought damm, I'd better get more sleep!!!

With the help of a flashlight, I was able to see that the mat was hanging up on the backside of the clutch pedal and rising up off the floor as the pedal returned to its nomal position.

I pulled the floor mat back as far as it would go up against the driver's seat and that cured it.

BTW, I sure was struggling with how thought I'd word the guestion for the message board and was glad I didn't have to. You explained very well.
past: 2010 Boxster S

Last edited by turbo23dog; 02-18-2009 at 04:44 PM.
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:58 PM   #6

Thanks guys...I will do some experiments once the weather gets better in a coouple of days. Regardless I ordered a mount from Pedro's garage as I am sure mine is due (other symptoms are there).
Chris
Old 02-19-2009, 07:18 AM   #7

After discovering that one of the clips for the rug had come undone I re-attached it and the problem went away (so far) Hopefully that's all it was.

Chris