986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Strange 'bump' in pedals when using clutch - please help. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/19645-strange-bump-pedals-when-using-clutch-please-help.html)

Dragonwind 02-17-2009 06:13 PM

Strange 'bump' in pedals when using clutch - please help.

Tonight I noticed a very weird sensation when disengaging and reengaging the clutch (full travel). This occurs with or without the engine running. If you put you foot on the gas or brake pedal, and also use the clutch, when the clutch is almost all the way back up you feel a 'bump' like something is rubbing on the other pedals. The accelerator is more noticeable than the brake, but it is there.

I can't imagine what is causing this. Could it be the engine mount out of whack? It was fine yesterday and this morning.

Any thoughts?
Chris

Boxster_luver 02-17-2009 08:13 PM

I think I know what you meen..When im going 30-40mph and I down shift 2 2nd and completely let my foot of the clutch fast and also break at the same time I feal this grind almost in the break pedal. I have no idea what it is, I had my dad drive it and he said he couldn't feal anything but I swear it's there.

renzop 02-18-2009 02:29 AM

Try this experiment - remove your driver's side floormat and test again.

Dragonwind 02-18-2009 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by renzop
Try this experiment - remove your driver's side floormat and test again.

There is plenty of clearance and would that only affect the lowest part of the travel? This is felt at the top of the travel after fully depressing the clutch (partial won't do it).
Seeing as I can feel it in the gas pedal mostly I am suspecting that the front engine mount is gone and the clutch disengagement is pulling the engine slightly.
I was planning of buying one of Pedro's mounts anyways so worth a try.
Chris

turbo23dog 02-18-2009 04:42 PM

X2 on floor mat.

I had the feeling about three times and was starting to freak. As the clutch pedal was moving back to normal position, I was feeling a strange kind of movement in the brake and gas pedal and one time both, depending on where my right foot was positioned. One time I felt it on my right shoe and not in the pedals. I thought damm, I'd better get more sleep!!!

With the help of a flashlight, I was able to see that the mat was hanging up on the backside of the clutch pedal and rising up off the floor as the pedal returned to its nomal position.

I pulled the floor mat back as far as it would go up against the driver's seat and that cured it.

BTW, I sure was struggling with how thought I'd word the guestion for the message board and was glad I didn't have to. You explained very well.

Dragonwind 02-18-2009 05:58 PM

Thanks guys...I will do some experiments once the weather gets better in a coouple of days. Regardless I ordered a mount from Pedro's garage as I am sure mine is due (other symptoms are there).
Chris

Dragonwind 02-19-2009 07:18 AM

After discovering that one of the clips for the rug had come undone I re-attached it and the problem went away (so far) :o Hopefully that's all it was.

:cheers:

Chris