Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2009, 10:58 AM   #1

Stereo Upgrade Question

To you stereo gurus on this forum. I just wanted to get your opinion of how this will sound:
My Boxster only came with the low-end stereo option - only dash speakers, no amps, no door speakers.

I'm planning to replace the factory Porsche head unit. I am looking at the 2009 Alpine CDA-105.
I already have an Alpine MRP-F300 4/3/2 channel amp (50Wx4 or 75Wx2) and Infinity 6020 CS component speakers, with 6.5 inch mid-bass speakers that will be mounted in the doors and plan to mount the tweeters in the factory dash location.

The Cartoys installation guy I spoke with suggested that I keep the factory 3.5 inch speakers in the dash and only replace the tweeters. He suggested that I run the factory 3.5s off the other amp channel. His concern is that the tweeters will be too bright with the sound bouncing off the windshield and that he could use the amp high pass filter to eliminate the bass from the factory 3.5, and reduce the output to the tweeters slightly (with the cross over) for pretty decent sound. His claim is that the factory speakers aren't too bad as long as they aren't trying to carry any bass.

I'm not looking the best car stereo ever, but want it to sound reasonably good.

So what I'm asking is has anyone placed component tweeters in the factory location and did you find them to be too loud bouncing off the glass, and has anyone else kept the factory 3.5s but used them only with a high pass filter? If so, would you do it again?

Dave S.

Last edited by Dave S.; 02-15-2009 at 06:25 AM.
Dave S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:12 AM   #2

I replaced my dash speakers with Infinity Kappas and haven't found them to be too bright. You could always adjust the treble control if you ran into that problem. For me, road and engine noise mask some of the sound anyway. You might find the sound too bright when you are sitting in the car, but it may not be noticeable at speed.

Have you considered adding the rear speaker kit? While not a huge improvement, I found that it filled in the sound and made the listening experience better. That might be a better use for the power from the extra channel on your amp.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote