986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   How do I put car in service position with GAHH top? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/19600-how-do-i-put-car-service-position-gahh-top.html)

AUDIOGUY 02-12-2009 05:10 PM

How do I put car in service position with GAHH top?

I didnt consider this to be a problem when I went with the GAHH top, but last week I tried to clean my MAF and found it really difficult to get the top into service position. It seems with the glass rear window, the top wont move over the roll bars from the back to give clearance into the engine compartment.

Does anyone know a trick to this??

Thanks!

ddb 02-12-2009 05:28 PM

Joe,

Unfortunately there isn't a trick. Access to the engine (or lack thereof) is the down side to the GAHH glass window top. I've read posts about removing the whole top to get access, but obviously that is an option in extreme circumstances.

I cleaned, and later replaced my MAF with my GAHH top. I've also changed the air/oil separator and replaced the air filter a few times. So access is limited, but it isn't the end of the world.

Best of luck.

ddb

Peter Serbanica 02-14-2009 03:34 AM

I am installing another GAHH top next week. I am told they have modified the top to look like the new oem tops. I am not sure if the size of glass has changed. I will let you know. I have seen pictures of the Robbins top. They supply a strap that holds top forward. However, the dealers, (who I subcontract for) say the GAHH top with the glass window is difficult for air filter change, but not impossible. Some guys just unbolt the frame.

TimAustinW 02-17-2009 07:05 AM

I got a Robbins top with the retrofit glass and it is much more difficult to put it in service mode. The robbins top came with a velcro service strap that goes around the top assembly and tightens and pulls it up and a bit more out of the way. Did your GAHH come with a Service Strap?

ddb 02-17-2009 08:47 AM

Tim,

The GAHH doesn't come with a service strap. I can see how having one would be very helpful because the raised, rear part of the top doesn't want to stay up, out of the way very well.

So how does the strap work? Does it just attach to the edge of the rear part that raises with the other end attached to the front of the top? I may try and make one or even purchase one from Robbins if it will work on the GAHH top.

For those considering purchasing a glass retrofit top, this is a down-side to having one (as well as a smaller window). But IMO it isn't enough of a pain to change my decision. I was able to do the work listed above without major issues. When I factor how often I even open my engine compartment versus all of the lowering/raising the top without worries it is an easy decision. Not to mention the electric defroster and a more upscale look of a glass window.

ddb

Lil bastard 02-17-2009 10:28 AM

It's always been the 'deal-breaker' for me.

AUDIOGUY 02-17-2009 05:56 PM

No service strap that I know of. I should Email GAHH and see if they have anything like that.

It is definately not a deal breaker though. I really only get under the hood to clean the K and N and MAF. Everything else seems to be bottom side.

thanks,

Doux 06-01-2011 11:30 AM

Service Strap - GAHH

Agree that getting the top out of the way is annoying (I used a auto-racheting strap from an auto store) but learned since that GAHH has them:

Hi David,

Service strap is available for $25.00, they are in stock for delivery.

Regards,

Jack Dekirmendjian, VP

GAHH Automotive

11128 Gault Street

North Hollywood, CA 91605

Tel (818) 767-6242 x100 (INTL')

Tel (800) 722-2292 x100 (USA)

Fax (818) 767-2786

jack@gahh.com

www.gahh.com