Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #1

I got this pinging...

I have this little metal pinging sound at startup, right behind the driver's seat (engine compartment sounding) and thought it might be the heat shields

does someone have a picture of where this is and what I would need to do to "tighten" it or fix the ping?

Thanks!

ps: 71 degrees here in beautiful San Antonio, Texas! top down weather!!!!

stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #2

nm i got it fixed!
Old 02-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #3

Garage
Glad you got it fixed! Can you tell us what the problem was and how it was fixed?
Thanks!
986Porsche986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #4

sure! (my bad)

my suspicions were true. I put the back end up on ramps, wheeled underneath, located the two heat shields surrounding the cats and with the tip of my finger, pushed on the corner of each one.

you know those little rubber things behind the door that kids like to play with that vibrate when you pull it back and let it go.. it was kinda like that. the driver's side rattled way more and replicated the pinging sound i heard when in the cabin. I did this to the passenger side and no it didnt rattle at all!

so i knew this was the culprit.. i toyed with the idea of replacing the screw or whatever but it looked like a pain in the ass to get to, so what i did was push out on the corner of the shield (bending it towards the sky) ever so slightly (and i mean slightly.. as in no noticeable bending), then repeated the flick test until it no longer vibrated when i flicked it. it took about 4 "bends" and about 10 minutes to complete, and no more pinging!

i dont imagine this is a long term solution so i might get under there again if it ever starts doing it again.. but so far so good!
Old 02-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #5

I had that same pinging ting ting ting rattle clatter and it pissed me off so badly that I put the back end on ramps, found it to be a heat shield on the passenger side cat, and took a hammer and beat the crap out of it four or five times.

It's now too scared of me to start making a racket again.

I have bigger hammers.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:09 AM   #6

Precison adjustment tools are needed to maintain any performance equipment... like 20oz ball hammer and that don't work, I go to the 32 oz mallet.