Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #1

Is it OK/Legal for a child to sit in the passenger seat ?

Hi. 'thinking of getting a 2000 or 2001 boxster. Can the airbag in the passenger seat be disabled? Does anyone know if it's legal for a toddler to sit in a booster seat in the front passenger seat?

ninsei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Yes, Porsche sells infant and toddler seats for the Boxster, but you also have to install the airbag deactivation bar under your passenger seat by bolting it on the seat rail. The bar basically has a seat belt receptacle on it and a wire that attaches to a connector below the seat that after being programmed by the dealer or someone with a PWIS/PST2 computer, will deactivate the airbag once a Porsche baby or booster seat is installed. The Porsche seat has a buckle on the bottom of it that fits into the seat belt receptacle on the deactivation bar.

Here is what the deactivation bar looks like. I have one in my car, and use it with the Porsche baby seat for my 4 month old on occasion.

You can buy the airbag deactivation bar here: http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=99680308302&Category_Code=986seat

For the baby or toddler seat, look at the bottom of this page. They are not cheap, but you can usually get them on ebay for much less if you're willing to get a used one: http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=P&Category_Code=986seat

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #3

screw child seats. just keep them firmly in place with "g forces"....

ok seriously, I have a 2000 and there is NO WAY to disable the passenger airbag from the factory. i don't believe our cars are "smart" enough to know the diff between an adult/child to activate/deactivate the pass seat like some newer cars can.

anyone know what age limit / weight limit one should adhere to when taking a child for a ride in a box like ours - an older one w/out any way to shut off the pass airbag??

P.S. - you have more fun in the car w/out kids.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
ok seriously, I have a 2000 and there is NO WAY to disable the passenger airbag from the factory. i don't believe our cars are "smart" enough to know the diff between an adult/child to activate/deactivate the pass seat like some newer cars can.
All 986 Boxsters have a small plug under the passenger seat that you can hook the airbag deactivation bar up to. To actually deactivate the airbag you need to insert a buckle. The easiest way is to just get the Porsche car seat, but if you search there is also a diagram on this forum on how to make the buckle from a 944 buckle, then you can use any car seat.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
P.S. - you have more fun in the car w/out kids.
I am assuming this was a joke - right?
Dude, I have FUN when my little daughter is sitting next to me in my Boxcar and enjoys the car just as much as I do
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
All 986 Boxsters have a small plug under the passenger seat that you can hook the airbag deactivation bar up to. To actually deactivate the airbag you need to insert a buckle. The easiest way is to just get the Porsche car seat, but if you search there is also a diagram on this forum on how to make the buckle from a 944 buckle, then you can use any car seat.
You probably know this already, but for the benefit of others who don't, you need more than just inserting the buckle into the deactivation bar for it to disable the airbag- you also need to either bring the car to the dealer to have them hook it up to their PWIS or PST2 device to your car to recognize the deactivation bar is installed, or have someone who might have one of those devices do it for you. I had a friend who has a PWIS do it for me.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:17 AM   #7
bmussatti

State Laws dictate where children can sit, and the proper weight and/or height restrictions.

Here is a HUGE little-known-fact:

The 2005 987 does NOT have smart technology for the front passanger air bag.

The 2006 (I assume newer models do too) HAVE smart air bags. The passanger air bag has a sensor and turns on or off depending on the weight of the passanger. The cut-off is about 90 pounds. This is a least a $1,000 savings vs. the 2005 MY.

With my two young daughters, I have properly used only a booster seat ($25 from Target) and the seat belt.

*put towel under booster seat to protect leather
Old 02-10-2009, 09:02 AM   #8

It's really up to each state. There are no laws in Illinois that say you can't have children in the front if it's a two seater. Likewise rear facing child seats are a no-no in the front.
I think a 7 year old ,and older, with a booster should be okay in the front for short little trips around the neighborhood. I do that with my oldest little girl (she's 7)... not my 4 year old though. I wouldn't however take my 7 year old on the interstate... anything over 45-50... I wouldn't feel safe. Regardless of the airbags being activated or not, it's just the fact that we're in a small car etc...
bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
I am assuming this was a joke - right?
Dude, I have FUN when my little daughter is sitting next to me in my Boxcar and enjoys the car just as much as I do
I guess it depends on what you mean by "fun". It is FUN to have your kids with you. Taking kids in the boxster is fun - they think it is great, and nothign beats quality time with your kids - so THAT is FUN.

But if by "FUN" you're talking about "hard/aggressive" driving - then I would leave the kids at home.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:36 PM   #10

So you are saying I should have used a booster seat and asked her to buckle up?

ISUnorth is offline   Reply With Quote