Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 12:16 PM   #1

02 Boxster S top/window replacement

Maine (or NH, Mass, RI): Looking (1) for shop or someone to replace rear window and/or (2) replace with a new top on 02 Boxster S. duncanw@roadrunner.com

duncanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:20 PM   #2

Top Installer Recommendation

I had a GAHH top with glass window put on my 1999 last fall (it was originally a plastic window). A relative in the car business recommended New England Trim in Shrewsbury, MA. The owner's name is Matt Smith, if you end up giving him a call, please let him know I sent you.

They installed the top in one day, order time was about a week, if I remember correctly. They were great to deal with, and based on limited comparison shopping, competitive on price (a little more expensive than the cheapest quote I got). They had installed the GAHH tops before, and said they had previously gotten GAHH tech support on the phone to straighten out the cable issue people describe with the GAHH (which was just what I wanted to hear).

The book rate was 8 hrs of shop time at $80/hour, and they added 1 hour to the estimate for the glass. When they ended up not needing extra time, they took the extra hour off, which I was pleasantly surprised by.

Fit and finish is excellent, and I think I'm pretty fussy about the car. I've only opened it two or three times to test it (damn New England weather), so I can't comment on long term operation, but I don't expect problems.

The Porsche/BMW independent dealer in Vermont I bought the car from said he'd been sending cars to a shop in Connecticut, so I would guess Shrewsbury, MA, outside of Worcester might not be as bad as it sounds.

Hope this helps, feel free to quiz me here or PM me.

-Michael

Last edited by machone; 02-17-2009 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Added owner's name
machone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:55 AM   #3

I also have a GAHH top on my 2000 with the glass window and defroster. Best money I have spent on the car. If you contact GAHH, they will recommend an installer. The good thing about using one of the "approved" GAHH installers is that if anyone goes wrong with the top, GAHH will pay for the repair under the warranty.

Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:54 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
I went with a Robbins retrofit glass window top for my 2002. The top with A5 german canvas, glass window and defroster kit ran me about $700-$750 from www.topsonline.com and I paid about the same in labor to install it. No problems with it but it is a smaller window which increases your blind spot and it does make it more difficult to put it in service mode if you need to change the air filter. Totally worth it though over the plastic window.

02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote