986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Will a Boxster S Muffler fit on a Standard Boxster? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/19514-will-boxster-s-muffler-fit-standard-boxster.html)

TimAustinW 02-03-2009 08:03 AM

Will a Boxster S Muffler fit on a Standard Boxster?

I've been having rattling issues with my exhaust on my 2002 986 2.7 for a while now. I recently installed the Maxspeed Sport Headers with the high flow cats and secondary bypass pipes. But the rattle is still there so it's got to be in the muffler. I don't want my car to be too loud and I like the sound of it now (aside from the rattle) So I want to stick with OEM exhaust.

I just bought a muffler in perfect condition with only 7K miles on it from a 2002 Boxster S and got it for $20 +shipping. But now that I'm looking at the pictures of it compared to my muffler it appears that the mounting brackets are different between the standard and the S. Why is that?

Actually, I'm not sure if it differs or not at this point until I take my own muffler off. I've looked on Ebay at varying years, S and Base and not sure if the mounting style is different based on year or based on S vs Base. anyone know the detail on the mounting variations on the muffler? Has anyone here ever converted one over to fit? Is it even possible? Or am I SOL and will have to resell this thing on Ebay?

Thanks,

Tim

jmatta 02-03-2009 08:39 AM

If I'm not mistaken, it should bolt right on. Porsche changed the way the standard muffler mounted for MY 2000. Earlier 2.5's needed an adapter, but your 2.7 should be good to go.

TimAustinW 02-03-2009 09:02 AM

Oh man I hope so. The muffler I just bought is from an S but it's from a 2002, same as mine. That would be sweet if it was a swap.

Pelican Parts is what is having me doubt. When I went there for new fasteners and clamps I noticed they have two separate exhaust pages for the S and Base. That's where I noticed the difference.

Boxster S Exhaust Parts Diagram

Base Boxster Exhaust Parts Diagram

But then again the diagram they have for the non S is showing a 2.5 headers and midpipes with cats setup. So it may be the same with the muffler in the diagram.

I guess I will find out when it arrives.

Boxtaboy 02-03-2009 10:16 AM

An 02 S muffler will fit your 02 base with no issues. The muffer is exactly the same as yours except for the dual tip welded on the end of it.

I used to have a rattle at idle on my muffler too, and at first thought that the muffler had a loose piece inside it, but later traced it to a loose clamp that connects a U-pipe from the cat to the muffler. If I pulled on the u-pipe, I could tell that it was loose and would move. After fixing that, no more rattle.

TimAustinW 02-04-2009 09:22 AM

Thanks Boxtsaboy,

I'll check the clamp. I was thinking it was the baffling inside the muffler because the exhaust tone alternates from sounding very nasally or froggy to sounding deep and smooth like a porsche should sound. I'm envisioning a piece of metal inside that's shifting changing the flow of air through the muffler. But even if it's just the clamp I'll still swap the muffler. It has about 80K miles fewer on it and it has the dual tips. And since I've already swapped out my headers and secondary cats with performance headers and secondary bypass pipes the muffler can be the only culprit left.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
An 02 S muffler will fit your 02 base with no issues. The muffer is exactly the same as yours except for the dual tip welded on the end of it.

I used to have a rattle at idle on my muffler too, and at first thought that the muffler had a loose piece inside it, but later traced it to a loose clamp that connects a U-pipe from the cat to the muffler. If I pulled on the u-pipe, I could tell that it was loose and would move. After fixing that, no more rattle.

chaudanova 02-04-2009 11:40 AM

Hey Tim, yeah like said above, give the clamps a shot to get rid of the rattle...

I'm curious to your impressions of changing to the performance headers and bypass pipes. Would you please elaborate on your driving impressions with these new parts? Did you feel any power gains, or differences in how it performs?

TimAustinW 02-06-2009 08:34 AM

I did notice a difference. It feels like I've gained some HP. Not a huge amount. Maybe 10-15 if I had to guess. The biggest difference is in sound. It's definitely louder but since I kept the stock muffler it's not so loud as to upset the neighbors. It sounds great (when my muffler isn't acting up) around 3K rpms in 2nd and 3rd. So far I am very satisfied with the NHP headers and pipes.

My new muffler is out for delivery!!!

986Roadster 02-08-2009 12:16 PM

How about a 2000 S exhaust system... Will it fit on a 2002 base boxster?

Will I require a mounting kit or any extra hardware?

jmatta 02-09-2009 07:41 AM

As mentioned previously, Porsche changed the mounting system on the base car in 2000 to be the same as the S...2.7 and 3.2 are interchangable.

bhaupert 04-27-2021 05:48 PM

did you fit the boxster s exhaust to your base?

I’m trying to get a 2004 Boxster S sport exhaust for my 2004 Boxster base model, but read that they did not fit. Were you successful? Send an email, please, to brucehaupert22@gmail.com
Thanks