Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 06:15 AM   #1

Garage
Unhappy Uh Oh Oil Leaks!!

Ok, I'm not freaking out yet because I'm hoping/thinking this isn't too serious.... Yesterday a.m. I went out to the garage to drive the Boxster. I hadn't started it in a weak or so and thought it'd be good to get her out. I noticed on the garage floor two half-dollar-sized oil spots on the floor. They were both exactly 10"-12" in front of the back tires. They were also perfectly equidistant from each other across. I was able to get under the car (in front of the back tires) and look up there. It looks like both oil drips are dripping down onto the O2 sensors, then onto the ground. The car is a 2000 S with 30k or so miles. I know that's kind of low miles and she might be suffering from "the sittin' around blues" as I always called it. I've had her for a couple of weeks now and there hasn't been a drop of oil from her. I'm just wondering what would cause this overnight like this. Also, my garage is attached to my home and is heated. It hasn't been that cold here either... soooo? not sure. I suspect maybe, valve cover gaskets??? Because of the perfect pattern of the drips??? I don't know.... Anyway know what this could be or has had this problem? I'm going to call Porsche where I bought the car. I have a 90 day 100% warranty but I'd like to at least talk them towards the right direction.

thanks in advance!!
sean

SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:39 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanZ4
Ok, I'm not freaking out yet because I'm hoping/thinking this isn't too serious.... Yesterday a.m. I went out to the garage to drive the Boxster. I hadn't started it in a weak or so and thought it'd be good to get her out. I noticed on the garage floor two half-dollar-sized oil spots on the floor. They were both exactly 10"-12" in front of the back tires. They were also perfectly equidistant from each other across. I was able to get under the car (in front of the back tires) and look up there. It looks like both oil drips are dripping down onto the O2 sensors, then onto the ground. The car is a 2000 S with 30k or so miles. I know that's kind of low miles and she might be suffering from "the sittin' around blues" as I always called it. I've had her for a couple of weeks now and there hasn't been a drop of oil from her. I'm just wondering what would cause this overnight like this. Also, my garage is attached to my home and is heated. It hasn't been that cold here either... soooo? not sure. I suspect maybe, valve cover gaskets??? Because of the perfect pattern of the drips??? I don't know.... Anyway know what this could be or has had this problem? I'm going to call Porsche where I bought the car. I have a 90 day 100% warranty but I'd like to at least talk them towards the right direction.

thanks in advance!!
sean
Sounds like it's just oil leaking out from the spark plug tubes. I had that issue recently, and saw that oil was dripping on my driver's side 02 sensor. Had new seals put in the plug tubes, and no more oil leak.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:27 AM   #3

Garage
That's a good suggestion! - Did you diy? or have it done? if so, what did it cost? That should be covered under my "powertrain" wtty. shouldn't it? - Funny you should say that. I noticed in all the stuff they did to it before they put on the line for sale was "replaced spark plugs".... soooo, you may be right. I'm going to call them here in a bit..

thanks
sean
Old 02-02-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanZ4
That's a good suggestion! - Did you diy? or have it done? if so, what did it cost? That should be covered under my "powertrain" wtty. shouldn't it? - Funny you should say that. I noticed in all the stuff they did to it before they put on the line for sale was "replaced spark plugs".... soooo, you may be right. I'm going to call them here in a bit..

thanks
sean
I had it done by my dealer because I had other stuff being done on the car at the time too. Not sure exactly what they charged for it, as the breakdown for labor/parts is kind of cryptic on their sales receipt, but you can DIY if you have the right basic tools. Good luck.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:54 PM   #5

Garage
Well, it goes in Friday. Porsche of Wichita is saying probably "cam tower seals"... Anyone heard of this problem?? They're covering it, but still say they'll need the car for some time. Hummmm??? The saga continues...

sean