Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 09:22 AM   #1

Where do you mount your e-tag?

I am just wondering where do you mount your e-tag (the device to pay toll automatically in motorway) in your Porsche? We call it the e-tag in Sydney Australia. But I think people in other country may also have the same problem.

It is recommended to be mounted in the middle and 7cm below the top edge of the windscreen. But the rear mirror is there. If I mount it below the rear mirror, it will block my view when driving. The device we are using here is about 10cm x 5cm and 2.5cm thick.

Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks.

Chris

chris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris99
I am just wondering where do you mount your e-tag (the device to pay toll automatically in motorway) in your Porsche? We call it the e-tag in Sydney Australia. But I think people in other country may also have the same problem.

It is recommended to be mounted in the middle and 7cm below the top edge of the windscreen. But the rear mirror is there. If I mount it below the rear mirror, it will block my view when driving. The device we are using here is about 10cm x 5cm and 2.5cm thick.

Chris
We have a toll road in Colorado that has some fairly specific requirements for location in the windshield. You can, in fact, have the transmitter in your pocket and it will still work.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris99

Chris
I mounted my toll transponder -- an "EZpass" which is popular up and down the US East Coast -- beside the rear view mirror mount, to the right side in my LHD car. The windshield isn't heavily curved in the middle, so you will not have any problem being slightly off center.

I don't like stuff stuck to the windshield of my cars & really, really hate it if I have to look at whatever it is so I was happy that I could mount the toll transponder in a way that the mirror completely hides it from my view.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #4

Garage
They're called K-Tags here. Mine bounces around in the console because I transfer it between up to three different vehicles. It still works. It also came with this metallic bag thing to put it in to make it not work, which would come in handy if I were using the toll road after committing some felony or something and didn't want it recorded :-)

sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #5

E-Pass or Sun-pass here.

I put mine in the door compartment and take it out only when I need to use it.
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:39 AM   #6

Mounted behind the left hand side of the mirror. Looks crap from outside, but maybe if I painted it black.
Hawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:03 AM   #7

Painted mine black, mounted a few strips of the non-slide strips for cell phones to the back and placed it on the dash near the alarm thingy.

Really can't see it at all when it's painted.

WhiteNunsOnDope is offline   Reply With Quote