Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #1

Need your Advice!

I'm new to the board and wanted some enthusiast's opionions. I recently found a silver 1999 Boxster with 84K miles on the chasis and 40K miles on the engine. The local Porsche dealer replaced the engine under warranty at 44K miles 4 years ago and all maintenance has been documented. The body is nice shape with minimal road rash and a few scratches here and there. The top is in good condition with clear rear plastic window and the wheels and tires are also in good condition. It is a tiptronic transmission. The only bad is that the speedometer display has some burned out pixels, the headlights are yellow and the Bose stereo does not work (because of blown fuse). The boxster had the touring package w/ leather in good condition. Yearly maintenance has been done and the owner is asking $8500. Is this a good deal? Anything in particular that I should be looking at? Your help is greatly appreciated! :dance:

austexboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:05 AM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Drive the car. It should be as smooth as silk. Get a PPI from a well respected Porsche shop. Have a close look on the underside for damage. The price sounds good.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:24 AM   #3

Even with prices dropping, $8,500 sounds very low. Definately get a PPI to make sure they are not trying to hide something. If everything checks out, you got yourself a great deal.

Good Luck!
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:34 AM   #4

The engine was replaced by a Porsche dealer and the car has been maintained by Porsche with all records? If the car drives good and feels good then i don't think you have anything to worry about. I've logged just over 100k on mine with very few problems. So, if it feels right, go for it.
Couper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:58 AM   #5

Agreed on the engine, it's probably good to go, but I would still have someone check it out to make sure there is no frame damage.

shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote