Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #1

Motor Mount DONE!!

Just finished my Motor Mount after having it in my trunk for the past 3 months. Wow is all I can say. It was quite a project but for somebody with decent mechanical skills it wasnt too bad. I would rate this one a 4 on a 1-10 scale for difficulty only because I didnt want to remove the coolant hoses and so getting the mount in and out was a little time consuming and in that tight space it was a little awkward.

Took the car for a small ride and it was super smooth. The old mount just fell apart when I removed it so I was way DUE for this part change.

I recommend this to anybody who has not done it.

FWIW, I just hit 86k miles on mine and I am certain this had never been changed before.

Thanks for all the write ups and info on how to do this. Love this forum as well as Pedros Garage and Pelican for extra information.

97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #2

What were the symptoms that you experienced that made you change the motor mounts.
tanque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #3

I had some clunking when accelerating and shifting gears. Taking corners and down shifting had some clunking noises as well. Its considerable smoother and when i took out the old one it literally fell apart so that confirmed my need to do this.

Take time and get under your car to view the project before you start. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #4

Did mine last week too. With only 47k on mine it still needed it. It didn't fall apart like yours, but the rubber was cracked about 90%. Made a difference in smoothness and shifting.
Would go alot faster using a lift, I was on my back with the car jack stands. Didn't remove the coolant hoses either.
Having a 15mm ratcheting box end wrench and deep well sockets made a difference too.
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider View Post
Did mine last week too. With only 47k on mine it still needed it. It didn't fall apart like yours, but the rubber was cracked about 90%. Made a difference in smoothness and shifting.
Would go alot faster using a lift, I was on my back with the car jack stands. Didn't remove the coolant hoses either.
Having a 15mm ratcheting box end wrench and deep well sockets made a difference too.

+1 on everything said above except I didn't notice anything different except the car no longer make the clunking noise when shifting. Has hoping for smother shifting. And yup, I was on my back, the car on jack stands and I wrestled with the coolant hoses trying to get the mount in and out. And I'm embarrassed to say it took me two days to complete the job - I think over 8 hrs. Still beats taking it to the dealer though.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #6

See the photos of what I have done today. Gonna wash the car later. So glad its DONE. Best repair yet.