Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 08:15 AM   #1

Garage
'01 Boxster Remote Key FOB

Did any of you guy try this item

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180322859859

Its about 50 dollars cheaper than suncost but before i buy it I want to make sure someone has used it.

thanks!

ramo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:53 PM   #2

Thumbs down

OK, OK, I am stupid, I don't listen to advice, and I am now out $69 from these guys. Word on the street was...never, never, buy remotes/keys on ebay.

Got my remote from My Keyless, same FCC #'s, etc, etc.

When I tried to find a locksmith, per their website info...no luck!

Went to the dealer and he told me without the 16 digit code that comes with the remote when new (the white tag) he could not program the remote part of the key, and that the one they sent was used (and it was). Told him to go ahead with the key cutting and the chip to start the car.
Parts guy says he can't cut the key blade that comes with the thing from My Keyless, and that it is certainly not the softer brass that they advertise. The HAA on the key didn't seem to make any difference.

Long of the sad story is:

$115 labor for the programing
$75 for the new blade and cutting
$69 for the thing from My Keyless without the code.

You do the math. And, if you would like to buy the one I have for something less than the $69 (way less) PM me.

Somebody isn't telling the truth here and I got screwed by somebody.

'01 Boxster, lots of mods, but only 1 remote!

Last edited by greesedc; 01-25-2009 at 07:55 PM. Reason: sp
greesedc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:20 AM   #3

Garage
well that sucks. I guess I'll go straight to the dealer with this one Thanks, I appreciate the help

Last edited by ramo80; 01-26-2009 at 08:24 AM.
ramo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #4

I am sure that My Keyless remotes are very reliable on most American cars, as they usually will accept up to 5 different codes, and programming at the dealer is not really a problem. I work at a Ford dealership and we do them every day.
But, I still think someone is not telling the truth about these Porsche remotes, either My Keyless or the stealership. How different can they be? They are just bloody remotes for a car, not the key to an ICBM!

greesedc is offline   Reply With Quote