Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 06:21 AM   #1

AUX input cable for CDR-220

I just bought this:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=730

It's the right cable for my CDR-220 in order to get AUX input for my MP3 player right?

I may be paranoid but I just want to make sure...

Jacques79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:44 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The connector looks right, and it says it works with the Becker radio so it should be okay. But you could also get something like this, if you only have an iPod and want it to charge.
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=993
Old 01-24-2009, 06:47 AM   #3

This may be a better choice:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=993

You can connect this one to the power cables intended for the phone charger. So, you can charge your player while you drive.

I have it and it works well.

I've seen some people advocate this model:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1010

You can use this for just about any device available.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:41 PM   #4

This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. How would one install this?

Greg
BeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:07 PM   #5

That's my question as well, as I am looking for an easy install item, one that can be easily reversed if need be without drilling.
vincesf
Old 02-25-2009, 12:11 PM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
These cables are really easy to install, Kevin lists the best two available. Just pull the stereo out with some radio keys, plug in the cable, then connect the power cables to the phone connector. Route the iPod connector out whichever way you want, and you now have a powered iPod connection. That's it.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:38 PM   #7

Here's an article on making your own iPod connector. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5190

I think the commercially available devices are better, but the article does show some good pictures of radio removal and dash components. The pictures are of a 996, but it is similar to a 986.

Vincesf - I don't think these aux in cables work on 2003 and later Boxsters due to the MOST system.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 02-25-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:24 PM   #8

Where do you feed the Aux cable so it is accesible?

This sounds like a good option and if it only takes plugging in the cable in the back, I think that is something that I can handle. I am new to pulling out car stereos, where would one feed the aux cable so it is easily accesible for an ipod or mp3 player? Into the glove compartment? I looked at the glove compartment and there doesn't seem to be an easy place to pull it through. Any thoughts? Would there be drilling involved? I tried to look at the renntech article but it wouldnt let me look at it.

Greg
BeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Do a search on Short Shifter installation, radio upgrade, and center console removal. Those will turn up instructions with all the information and pictures you need. The leather panels just in front of the shifter just pop off, you can run the cable from the radio down there with out any drilling. It is very simple, and once you pull the radio out, you'll see what I mean.

Porsche did such a fantastic job designing the Boxster it is extremely easy to take apart. This is one of those things you don't normally realize, but makes you appreciate your Porsche even more when you do notice it. I added an iPod jack to my sisters Mini and it was horrible, I can have the Boxster radio and center console apart in under 5 minutes.

(Become a member of RennTech to view the threads)
Old 03-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum
Where would one feed the aux cable so it is easily accesible for an ipod or mp3 player? Into the glove compartment? I tried to look at the renntech article but it wouldnt let me look at it.

Greg
I cut a small hole in the top of the bin in the dash of my car and ran the cable through that. My iPod lays in the bin where it is easily accessible. You can only see the hole if you put your head on the floor and look up.

If you have a glove compartment, I assume that you have an 03 or newer car. You may want to verify that your radio is compatible with the cable. I thought 03 and new cars had a fiber optic "MOST" bus that wouldn't work.

I should have mentioned that you need to register with Renntech to read their posts.