Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #21

Smile yea1 ANOTHER HURDLE JUMPED

unk that is my other fav color( and red, jax)well i got okd by the credit union! bad news only 36 mos. good news 5% interest!!. hope to get Boxy" thurs. now i need a serious question answered: what is the best site to sell my 2009 kia spectra5 at ( great deal for someone $12,900). again, thamks for all your encouragement. even talked to the mechanic who stated that he only need to see it about once a year and that it was cherry.

mrfredsporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #22

that's really good news, 36 mo's / 5% interest

I can't recommend any site about your Kia but congrats on your purchase...now the disease begins..PERMAGRIN
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:24 PM   #23

I just bought my black/black 2000 2.7 last year. It had 18k miles (19k now). I paid $18k for it which was probably high, but it was from a friend of mine that was the original owner and to say he babied it would be an understatement. He even wiped out the wheel wells every time he parked it back in the garage.

It has never been a daily driver, so I can't really comment on it always looking dirty because it has never seen rain or snow. Dust is my only problem. I can tell you that I truly enjoy spending time cleaning it in the driveway and watching my neighbors turn green with envy. It may get dirty easily, but that is the price worth paying for it looking so sweet when it is clean! If you've done your homework on it you won't regret it!

Congrats!
bkiersz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:51 PM   #24

Congrats on the buy...I've owned numerous black on black 911s and swore I would not buy a black Boxster; well my Box S is black with Savanna, so at least I was partly on track. They are a pain to keep clean, but look so nice when so.

Enjoy the car; cleaning and polishing is part of the fun. BTW, you might try Craigslist on the Kia...that's where I found my son's Jeep Liberty.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:53 AM   #25

tomorrow is the day (hopefully)

well, i hope to get my money today. then i hope to get "boxey" tomorrow. weather very iffy.i hope my scan II guage will hook right up to the sensor under the dash. the present owner said that when i put the top down im supposed to hesitate halfway down to make sure the plastic window is folding right??? true? tomorrow afternoon im hoping to register it and all that good stuff.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:28 AM   #26

yes, mrfred..you gonna have to do the chop like everyone else here who has plastic windows

If you don't:
-overtime, it will leave a 1" or 2" rip in either mid corners or middle of the plastic windoe
-if the weather is cold and you didn't do the chop, it might crack the plastic

There's a lot of topic here regarding your concern. Search the thread "Plastic Window or Chop"

Here are some of them to keep you inform but not to scare you

*a new owner thread that didn't know about the chop*
New owner, didn't know about "chop", window seam ripped...

*what happen when it's cold but sunny outside thread*
Cracked Plastic

*Plastic Window dilema*
plastic window headache
Old 01-28-2009, 07:52 AM   #27

Smile lights

thanks unk. tim was showing me the headlights. i could swear that you cn do one headlight at a time (huh??). im very conscious of being seen so all my vehicles i run the headlights in the day as well. im afraid i know the answer, but ar the headlights auto turn off ??
Old 01-28-2009, 08:08 AM   #28

I don't think you could do one headlight at a time and it's not auto turn off. plus you don't need to turn your headlight on during daytime coz' with that car..they could see you a mile away
Old 01-28-2009, 08:26 AM   #29

the chop!?!?

ha ha thanks unk. now here is a tougher question for you. what is the proper way to do the chop and what does it do exactly. sunday its supposed to reach 50 degrees. can i put the top down if im careful. it will be outdoors so i cant warm up the top. oh the questions continue. thanks my new friends
Old 01-28-2009, 08:45 AM   #30

the proper way to chop is like chopping your plastic window while it's halfway down to make sure that theres no crease before closing it all the way down *im not sure if this make sense, if you need more clarification, check the first thread i gave you*

after reading it, go for a drive this sunday and enjoy the road while everybody is watching football

no need to warm up the top, im talking about the plastic window that you need to be careful when it's sunny outside but cold esp. if you park outdoor or even in the garage
Old 01-29-2009, 01:53 PM   #31

Smile picked up boxey today!!

yea! picked up boxey today. runs great. very smooth . tranny very crisp. hard to tell how fast im going. does rattle when go over sharp bumps. no lean at all in corners.very basic. i just keep my fingers crossed the engine does not explode. my insurance agent called. said "fred, its only going to cost $450 per month!!!!!!" yikes . im afraid i said some bad words. then he said it was only an insurance joke and that it would cost me $600 year. ok i say.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:25 PM   #32

I wouldn't recommed lowering the top if the weather is below 60. If you must warm up the cockpit full blast until the plastic doesn't feel so cold from the outside. You will get a wrinkle in the plastic that could take weeks to stretch out again with these temps.

By the way, congratulations! man that reminds me of my first sports car purchase. I'd never applied for a loan before. Wasn't sure if I would be approved. I don't think I slept a wink the night before. I was about to cash out some stock (a bad idea) if they didn't give me the moolah because my buddy was selling me the car at half of bluebook. Then the next day the Bank offered me like four times of what I was asking for. Then came the mods...
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #33

Smile what the heck!!

thanks perf. now what about that incredibly complicated radio? also, the cup holders are definitely not designed for americans!!how do i carry my diet coke and sip on the way? what a wonder of german engineering (yikes).did my first mod earlier this afternoon. cost me 2 dollars to get a round convex mirror for drivers side mirror. i admit i put that on every vehicle ive had for many years. sure gets that outside lane and blindspot too. cheap safety.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #34

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Congrats! It's beautiful! $600/year for insurance? Wow, I'm totally jealous. Mine's more than double that and I have a great driving record. Gotta love Louisiana. What are the cup holders like? I have a 987 so I'm sure they are different.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:11 PM   #35

Smile

thanx love. well, after 47 yrs of no tickets no accidents my record is ok. its not that i have not deserved tickets etc but ive been careful and watchful. the "cup holders" are dinky. cant hold anything of volume. i need some sort of after market cup holder that will hold my 20 oz coke.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:38 AM   #36
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfredsporty
thanx love. well, after 47 yrs of no tickets no accidents my record is ok. its not that i have not deserved tickets etc but ive been careful and watchful. the "cup holders" are dinky. cant hold anything of volume. i need some sort of after market cup holder that will hold my 20 oz coke.
That's because you're supposed to be driving, not drinking. The Germans make fun of us by adding cup holders to the US bound cars that are basically useless.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #37

BLUE! there must be a way!!!!
Old 01-30-2009, 05:26 PM   #38
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
mrfredsporty:

Beautiful car - congratulations!

Here is an option for you. Not inexpensive but works well for me with an occasional bottle of water. I'm sure it will work equally well with a 20 ounce Coke.

ddb

http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #39
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
mrfredsporty:

Beautiful car - congratulations!

Here is an option for you. Not inexpensive but works well for me with an occasional bottle of water. I'm sure it will work equally well with a 20 ounce Coke.

ddb

http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/

These were what the p.o. of my car had installed. They're fine but I sold them the day after I took possession. I agree with the Germans on this one. I've been driving for over 20 years and never had the need to drink while driving. Plus it keeps the interior from staining.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:21 AM   #40

oooooooh!

now you are talking blue!!