986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Flashing CEL (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/19329-flashing-cel.html)

Adam 01-14-2009 09:03 AM

Flashing CEL

I don't think this is anything major and may be just a computer glitch, but I wanted to see if any other owners have experienced this. On a few occasions the CEL has flashed for 5-10 seconds then gone away. It happened once or twice a few years ago and then it didn't do it again until the other day. Like I said it was only for a few seconds so I didn't even have time to pull over and investigate. Engine seems to run fine and I've driven it a couple times since with no problems. I'm still under warranty so I'm not too concerned, but at the same time I know flashing CEL's aren't a good thing usually. Anybody else have a similar experience? Thanks in advance.

TriGem2k 01-14-2009 09:24 AM

Adam,

I've had the same thing happen a few times in the last 7 years of owning the car. Exactly as you stated, the light would flash for 10seconds or so then go away and nothing seems wrong with the car.

I asked the dealership about it once while in warranty and once after warranty expired and they said that it could possibly just be a bad batch of gas the car didn't like.

Mine hasn't done it in well over a year now.

If you do figure something out as I haave always been courious as to why they do that. Hopefully others will chime in as well.

FTD 01-14-2009 10:17 AM

I had it happen once at a track. Somebody had a reader. Misfire on 2 cyclinders. Cleared the codes and it never happened again. Theorized to be result of too much oil. I now fill to about a half quart below full.

Doesn't the CEL trap a code or two when it comes on, that you could then read?

dcporsche99 01-14-2009 12:36 PM

Had it happen to me last spring after hibernating for a couple months. I had a misfire on cylinder 2 and additionally cylinder 3 on two separate occasions. So, since my ride was due for its 60K maintainence anyway, I decided to just replace all my plugs, coils and tubes. Also helped that I had a few guys on renntech help me out with suggestions of a bottle of Techtron and an oil change. Ran fine after resetting the codes. :cheers:

Adam 01-14-2009 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTD
I had it happen once at a track. Somebody had a reader. Misfire on 2 cyclinders. Cleared the codes and it never happened again. Theorized to be result of too much oil. I now fill to about a half quart below full.

Doesn't the CEL trap a code or two when it comes on, that you could then read?

That's a good question. I didn't know if it would be worth the while if there isn't anything lit up on the dash.

FTD 01-14-2009 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
That's a good question. I didn't know if it would be worth the while if there isn't anything lit up on the dash.

Some auto parts places will plug a reader in for you and pull the codes. However, I don't know all details as in the CEL in my 11 year old Honda came on [and stays on] and I was told it doesn't write to a log file when that happens. It is a general warning re: fuel/air based on 3 or 4 sensor points. So, maybe yes [like my 04 Porsche] and maybe no [like my '98 Accord].

Paul 01-15-2009 04:08 PM

Have the codes read.

I think every Boxster owner should consider purchasing the Durametric tester. Even if it keeps you from going the to dealer once, it's paid for itself in my opinion.

Adam 01-17-2009 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul
Have the codes read.

I think every Boxster owner should consider purchasing the Durametric tester. Even if it keeps you from going the to dealer once, it's paid for itself in my opinion.

Thanks for your responses guys. Doesn't sound like anything serious which is good. Paul, the light is no longer flashing, are you saying a durametric tester or scan tool can still tell me what caused it to do so? If so, are the codes date stamped by the ECM? Otherwise how do you know which code occured when? I think the ECM logs things in run time hours no?

Paul 01-17-2009 08:26 AM

Yes the codes are stored until cleared.

Adam 01-17-2009 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul
Yes the codes are stored until cleared.

Ok, thanks for the info. I will have the computer scanned especially if it keeps occuring.