986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Finally got her in a shop (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/19307-finally-got-her-shop.html)

Lordblood 01-12-2009 05:26 PM

Finally got her in a shop

So I finally got my Box in for a clutch kit change and a 90k service. Cost me around 3600 for both, but I'm also getting an RMS change as well as an inspection and some bonus stuff added in.

Weird thing is that he didn't want to give me a copy of what he wrote down. I realize he will give me a receipt when I pay for the repairs, but right now he has my car and I wanted some paperwork to show that. The guy refused but with a bit of persuasion I got something.

Is it just normally like that or is this fishy?

Paul 01-12-2009 06:13 PM

Are you having this done at a dealer or an independent garage?

Lordblood 01-12-2009 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul
Are you having this done at a dealer or an independent garage?

Independent shop that does work on luxury cars.

Paul 01-12-2009 06:23 PM

Did you get a price from a dealer who will also give you a 2 year parts and labor warranty?

That estimate seems high to me.

Lordblood 01-12-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Did you get a price from a dealer who will also give you a 2 year parts and labor warranty?

That estimate seems high to me.

I did, it ran at 4200 I believe for both services.
This independent shop gives a 1 year warranty on every thing they change or repair, so that's in there as well.

Paul 01-12-2009 06:29 PM

Are the parts lists the same, for example did the dealer also quote a new flywheel perhaps?

Lordblood 01-12-2009 06:34 PM

Quote:

Are the parts lists the same, for example did the dealer also quote a new flywheel perhaps?

Yes, the dealer was going to replace the clutch, flywheel, and bearings.

This independent shop is throwing in a RMS change, as well as that warranty and they are changing more things in the 90k service.

Paul 01-12-2009 06:38 PM

Not trying to be a bother, just looking out for your wallet.

Once the flywheel is removed, an RMS change takes a few minutes and the part is not that expensive.

Lordblood 01-12-2009 06:46 PM

Quote:

Not trying to be a bother, just looking out for your wallet.

Once the flywheel is removed, an RMS change takes a few minutes and the part is not that expensive.

Not at all, this is good advice for my next visit.

Hmm, so this is expensive for a independent shop? It's still less than a dealer, and I'm getting a bit more things, so its not terribly bad. Also in terms of quality I've heard good things about this particular shop.

Paul 01-12-2009 06:55 PM

Sometimes a dealer or even an Indy, when presented with a bid from elsewhere, will adjust the price. Garages around here are looking for customers.

Sometimes even a good and honest Indy, due to the lack of knowledge of the car, can lowball a quote, only to later give you a call, saying you need additional parts. For this particular job, the flywheel, the slave cylinder, the CV joints, etc are all candidates.

EE3racing 01-13-2009 05:02 AM

That seems very high, I'd do some more searching just to make sure, then again if you're happy that's all that matters good luck with the repairs.

salerno501 01-13-2009 07:27 AM

I just had to replace my clutch and they did the whole kit for $2100 at the dealership with one year warranty.

FTD 01-13-2009 07:33 AM

Why an RMS change if the seal is good? Is there a resolution to the problem that they want to install / we should all install?

pbanders 01-13-2009 08:52 AM

I'm here in AZ (Phoenix), too. What shop do you have your car at? I bought my Boxster from i******************************** on Baseline (they have a full shop), have had it serviced there and at Scottsdale Porsche (dealer), and I have my 914 worked on at Stuttgart Southwest (they work on Boxsters, too).

For detailed work, what I do is bring a sheet I've printed with exactly the work I expect them to do, and I get them to sign it, no prices, just what work they're actually going to do. We then work on the pricing as it goes, if there's an issue. I also have standing orders to call me if they find something else that needs to get done. Even with people that I trust, having this kind of documentation helps the job go better and avoids problems.

As for whether or not what they are charging you is high, about right, or low, I'd have to see the exact list of all the work they did, the parts they replaced, the hours of labor, and their labor rate.

Lordblood 01-14-2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbanders
I'm here in AZ (Phoenix), too. What shop do you have your car at? I bought my Boxster from i******************************** on Baseline (they have a full shop), have had it serviced there and at Scottsdale Porsche (dealer), and I have my 914 worked on at Stuttgart Southwest (they work on Boxsters, too).

For detailed work, what I do is bring a sheet I've printed with exactly the work I expect them to do, and I get them to sign it, no prices, just what work they're actually going to do. We then work on the pricing as it goes, if there's an issue. I also have standing orders to call me if they find something else that needs to get done. Even with people that I trust, having this kind of documentation helps the job go better and avoids problems.

As for whether or not what they are charging you is high, about right, or low, I'd have to see the exact list of all the work they did, the parts they replaced, the hours of labor, and their labor rate.

I'm down in Tucson, so it would be hard to get it up there to Phoenix to just do some maintenance.

The Clutch replacement cost me 2600, that's coming in with a new Clutch, flywheel, bearings, RMS, and a warranty for one year.

90k Service they are charging 700 dollars, I believe this includes a whole list of filters, inspection, and new spark plugs. Perhaps more things I would have to ask.

Pirate50 01-14-2009 07:38 PM

For a 60 k service, clutch replacement,front brakes w/ rotors, RMS, horn replacement, and new emblem on rear decklid, only set me back $3800 @Sunset Porsche in Beaverton, Oregon 4 months ago, so seems yours seems a little high for an indy but it depends on locale.

986FortyEight 01-15-2009 05:13 PM

I think it's on the high side, personally.
I just did my own 120k service and parts were about $400 including new brake lines etc... so I could see $700 on your service as acceptable if they do indeed all the inspection that's on the official list.
Now the clutch kit is about $400 online and could take about 8-9 hours at worse including installing a new $60 RMS. I think that $2600 for that is totally inappropriate. My local dealer ship charges $140 per hour and the local indie I use (5th gear Motorsport) charges $98 / hour.
If you don't seem shocked by the estimate then I suppose you can afford it and all is well. I personally would look for another shop.

Lordblood 01-15-2009 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 986FortyEight
I think it's on the high side, personally.
I just did my own 120k service and parts were about $400 including new brake lines etc... so I could see $700 on your service as acceptable if they do indeed all the inspection that's on the official list.
Now the clutch kit is about $400 online and could take about 8-9 hours at worse including installing a new $60 RMS. I think that $2600 for that is totally inappropriate. My local dealer ship charges $140 per hour and the local indie I use (5th gear Motorsport) charges $98 / hour.
If you don't seem shocked by the estimate then I suppose you can afford it and all is well. I personally would look for another shop.

Actually what happened is that we use the Box as a daily driver, and because of some complications we had to get her fixed asap. So we looked at a couple of shops, and found the one that would fix it first. I probably will not be using this shop next time, there might be a couple of places I can go that are a bit further from town. The nice thing about this place is that they are within a mile from school, so I can basically walk and pick up the car.

Lordblood 01-18-2009 03:37 PM

The car is back with me now, despite the steep price I am glad I had this done, the clutch, gear change, and throttle response feels so much better and together now.

Here's the online reciept I got:

DIAGNOSIS/ CHECK CLUTCH/ SLIP 98.50
PERFORM BRAKE FLUID FLUSH 138.50
FREE 26 POINT INSPECTION 0.00
R & R TRANSMISSION/ CHECK CLUTCH 950.00
REPLACE FLYWHEEL, CLUTCH PACK 188.50
LOF SPECIAL W/ SYNTHETIC OIL 98.50

PERFORM 90000 MILE SERVICE/ REPLACE PLUGS, CLEAN K/N

FILTER 205.50
REPLACE REAR MAIN SEAL 138.50
RESET / CHECK OBD SYSTEM 0.00
BLEED HYDRO CLUTCH SYSTEM 138.50
PERFORM INJECTION SERVICE 138.50
REPLACE CABIN FILTER 98.51
--------------------------------------------------------------------
LABOR SUBTOTAL 2,193.51

1 OIL FILTER 0.00
6 PREMIUM SPARK PLUGS 24.68
1 FUEL FILTER 27.99
1 K/N AIR FILTER CLEANER 9.95
2 CARB CLEAN 8.99
2 BRAKE FLUID 12.99
1 INJECTION SERVICE KIT 28.99
1 CABIN FILTER 27.39
1 CLUTCH PACK ( FACTORY ) 336.08
1 FACTORY FLYWHEEL 533.90
1 REAR MAIN SEAL 14.10
1 SET FLYWHEEL BOLTS 8.90

Total $3,324.17

Paul 01-18-2009 03:58 PM

$130 for the cabin filter? I can replace that in 72 seconds.