Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2008, 07:38 PM   #1

Water leak question

Rained bad in Tampa yesterday. For the first time since I purchased my car 4 months ago, I noticed some water in the plastic ? holder located to the right of the passenger seat, next to the door sills. The carpet on the bottom of the passenger door to the rear of the door speaker was also damp.
Any thoughts of the cause? Does this car have any drainage holes under the car that may be clogged?

Eric

E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The car does have drain point that can get clogged. You need to clean them ASAP because if you get water under the drivers seat on the cars computer your looking at a few thousand dollars in repairs. Try a search, there is a lot of information on this.

Also, compressed air works the best to clean them, and maybe a coat hanger. Once you think there clean pour a little water down the hole and see if it comes out the bottom of the car.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:51 AM   #3

Thanks Rick. Can you be more specific on where the drain is located?
Eric
Old 06-27-2008, 04:56 AM   #4

There are numerous drains, but the ones that most often cause problems for the interior are the 2 underneath the clamshell (where the convertible top stows). One on each side in the rubber/foam liner. Then two in front by the battery and one for the AC evaporator. Here's a link to where to find them all...

Mike Focke's Water Drain Link

Hmmm, now having said that and re-reading your post, the drains may be your issue but............ water in the umbrella holder (the tray on the passenger sill), leads me to believe otherwise. You may have unintentionally left the window open... or down a bit. If the door wasn't closed all the way, the window won't go up the 1/4 inch or so it needs to seal w/ the top. With a heavy FL downpour in the right (well wrong really ) direction, water could easily get in.

If the door was closed all the way, then you may have an issue w/ the micro-switch in the door. Does your window drop a bit when you pull the handle (w/ the top up)? Does it go back up when you close it all the way?

Check the drains to ensure they are clear but also check the window.
Let us know what you find.

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 06-27-2008 at 05:08 AM. Reason: amplification for other things to check based on where water was
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Burg pretty much covered it all.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:41 AM   #6

Thanks for the information.
I did think about the window. The window was up and when I open the door or close the door the window does go up and down like it should. However, maybe for some reason, it just didn't close tight, because there was about 1 inch of water in the umbrella holder and that makes no sense to me if there is a clogged drain.
It rained hard last night, so I will recheck the car and also the drains.
I appreciate all the help.

Eric
Old 01-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #7

Blocked Boxster drains

My daughter's 986 is suffering from this exact problem. Wow, what useful information you guys have laid out here, especiallly Mike Focke's link. Photos and diagrams, all great. Thanks!!! Wish we could garage the thing but my C-4 996 is in there. Thanks again for the helpful info.

RZ

Last edited by RZimm1; 01-08-2009 at 03:54 PM.
RZimm1 is offline   Reply With Quote