Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 04:50 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to dmenn
General Exclaim UHP Tire

Hi all, it's almost time for me to replace my tires and I plan to replace the front and rears. The tires I currently have are Dunlop SP Sport 9090's but they don't make them anymore.

I've been looking around on Tirerack and found a nice set of tires there that my local tire shop also carries. They're called General Exclaim UHP. The price is pretty reasonable.

I did a search on here but didn't get many hits. For anyone that has General Exclaim UHP tires, can you provide some feedback on your experience with them? Please state other tires you've used in the past as a comparison factor. Also, Tirerack says these tires have a higher load rating than the OEM tires and the ride may be harder. Can anyone comment on that?

Thanks for the feedback!
-Dave

dmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:01 AM   #2

General has zero history in the performance tire market, this tire is their first entry. If you're looking for good value tires, there are a lot of other choices out there that have better reputations and a lot of user experience. I use Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:08 AM   #3

I haven't used the Generals, but from what I've heard, I'd stay away.

If you're looking for a good bargain tire, check out the Kumho Ecsta SPT. I have them on my IS and they are great. Good tread life (had them for ~15,000 miles, and still have 30-40% tread left) and impressive dry and wet performance.

TireRack link

For a bit more money, but not really better (or as good) dry handling as the SPT, you could check out the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx. I have them on my Boxster and they aren't too bad.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:15 AM   #4

I have General UHPs on my car and I love them. I don't Auto-x the car or anything, but as a street tire they've been great. We drive the car year-round and wet and dry traction has been excellent. In addition, we have 15,000 miles on them and the fronts still look new. The rears are starting to wear, but that's to be expected.

As for the ride, I have 19s on my car, so the ride is a bit hard. That's to be expected as well.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:24 AM   #5

I have NItto NT555 on the car. Never heard of this brand before, but the car I bought had them. Turns out NItto makes great performance tires. I am very happy with the tires. I like them so much, I put a set on my Jaguar XJR. Price about $130 each for fronts and $170 each for rears.

Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:25 AM   #6

Great summer/wet tire and decent cold tire. I've mounted them on my Audi TT 225 AWD. Tire size was 245/35/19. You really can't beat it for the money.
Gubu986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:59 PM   #7

General is sister to Conti

I just mounted a set of 19"s (Exclaim UHP) on my car a few weeks ago. They are awesome! Much better grip and handling than the Khumos. The TireRack local affiliate gave me the scoop on these: They effectively Contis! Here's the press release: http://www.eurotuner.com/techarticles/eurp_0509_continental_tires/index.html

So, if you like the grippy hard ride of the Contis, you'll love these. I'll let you know about the wear in a few months!
chaabouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:27 AM   #8

If you are looking for some good perfomance rubber that is reasonably priced, check into the Dunlop Direzza Star Spec tires. 18's came to around $800. If you have 17's then it would be even less. I couldn't tell you what a good all season would be for the boxster, but the Toyo Proxes work well on my Mazda 3.

Last edited by Adam; 06-01-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:00 AM   #9

I picked up some UHPs on a friend's recommendation. They are okay for an inexpensive tire, but they are not very grippy compared to others in the High Performance tire category.

I've done a number of Auto-x's with these and they are a HORRIBLE choice for Auto-x.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbanders
I use Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's.
AFAIK, those have been replaced by the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:51 PM   #11

just have to add in here. Ive had expensive and inexpensive tires on a vast array of vehicles mostly in the performance catagory . The UHPs are honestly one of the best tires Ive ever come across SERIOUSLY. They are very predictable, quiet, wear evenly, look ok (but who cares about that), last just as long as the more expensive brands, stopping is phenominal. Ive had toyos and falkens on the box liked them on other cars but not on the box so much. I may have gone through three sets of UHP rears but Im still on the original fronts about 40k on those. My car is slammed and obviously rear drive so I don't care who or what tire you have they don't last long back there. Why pay twice as much and lose performance SERIOUSLY. My experiance with tires is if you havent driven them don't talk about them. I have and highly recommend them. Secret is they are great so the price will be on the rise.
(www.myspace.com/tcechelon)
mn box s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:58 AM   #12

I agree with Stroked & Blown. I have a set of these on my Boxster now (w/19" rims). They are a nice street tire and they seem to be wearing well. However, I tried to autoX with them. No way, they didn't have enough grip. I'm going to get another set of wheels and tires to use just for autoX (w/17" rims).

Mark
MarkOfZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:11 AM   #13

Well of coarse there not good for auto-x just thought that was implied. Thats why you have a factory set of 17"s left over. you really dont want to auto-x on 30 series side walls and I know tread were is a basic guide line but to auto-x your going to want lower than 100 tread wear. Something like Falken Azenis I believe they have a tread wear rating of 90. Sticky but can be used to drive to the auto cross and home again to change tires.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn box s
Well of coarse there not good for auto-x just thought that was implied. Thats why you have a factory set of 17"s left over. you really dont want to auto-x on 30 series side walls and I know tread were is a basic guide line but to auto-x your going to want lower than 100 tread wear. Something like Falken Azenis I believe they have a tread wear rating of 90. Sticky but can be used to drive to the auto cross and home again to change tires.
Not if you're racing in the street tire class.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:57 AM   #15

I put a set of these on my 3 series a couple of months before I sold it (to get my boxster). I didn't want a potential buyer crying about the condition of the tires and trying to get me down a few thousand dollars. I wasn't expecting too much from the tires, but was pleasantly surprised. They are a decent daily driver tire and a good value for the price. Sidewalls seemed a little softer than I like and the turn-in response was a little slow as well. I wouldn't put them on my boxster.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:32 AM   #16

Garage
i have them on my boxster and they see fine. I already put 3000Km on them and they are grippy on dry conditions. I wouldn't race with them or anything but for regular street use they do the job.
2011 Mercedes Benz GLK350 - Gunmetal Grey
ramo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #17

I'd have to agree with the comment that said "if you havent driven them don't talk about them." Rating these on name alone gets you nowhere. Here are a few facts to ponder: Exclaim UHP is the top of the line of performance tires by General. General is a subsidiary of Continental - they share the same research labs and manufacturing plants. So if you like Contis, you are bound to like the Exclaim. Several "non-affiliated" tire rating experts have given these tires high marks on and off the track.

I happen to own a set of 19s on my S. They are great for aggressive street driving (both dry and wet). I can't speak to track or autoX experience since I haven't done those lately. These came after sets of P-Rossos, and Yokahamas.
chaabouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:41 PM   #18

Yeah I probably wouldn't want to use them autoxing at all even in street tire class. When I used to x I found pirelli p 700s not 7000s were excellent for that class. Not sure if you can even find them now. Just curious why would you x with a boxster and not weekend road race. Our ponys are ment to run. Miata is more the x er.