986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Please Help!! How to get 3.6L working with 3.2 ECU!?! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/19168-please-help-how-get-3-6l-working-3-2-ecu.html)

BoxsterLewis 12-29-2008 01:18 PM

Please Help!! How to get 3.6L working with 3.2 ECU!?!

Ok the shop says they can stick the 3.6L in the car no problem mechanically, they said having my current 2001 S ECU to make the 3.6L is going to cost me thousands!?!? And that it would take 40+ hours. I know some of you have it working fine and i'm sure there has to be a way?? I know Todd (Thoyalak) is out of town but does anyone else know anything that can help me out?? This is killing me without my car :(

Fred Demara 12-29-2008 01:31 PM

My understanding is, and i hope some steps in to correct me, but your 01 has a 7.2dme...the conversion your trying requires the 7.8dme from a 996 3.6.

I think you might need your cars ipas code to re-program the new DME (since our alarm is programmed via your dme.

Please be aware, I'm not an expert on this - I hope someone will jump in and corret me if I'm wrong..

keep us posted!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxsterLewis
Ok the shop says they can stick the 3.6L in the car no problem mechanically, they said having my current 2001 S ECU to make the 3.6L is going to cost me thousands!?!? And that it would take 40+ hours. I know some of you have it working fine and i'm sure there has to be a way?? I know Todd (Thoyalak) is out of town but does anyone else know anything that can help me out?? This is killing me without my car :(

BoxsterLewis 12-29-2008 02:12 PM

Right, the shop is saying thats the easy part but theres more involved to it...?

JP-s-in st. louis 12-29-2008 04:03 PM

yep same issue I ran into. I did the whole swap including: ABS controller, Instrument cluster, 7.8 ECU, engine harness, HVAC controller. This is why I say I would never do it again.

Josh

edevlin 12-30-2008 03:33 AM

Is there any reason the ECU's are so expensive? Is it price gouging or is there really that much technology involved.

Ed

:cheers:

Fred Demara 12-30-2008 02:16 PM

one word...porsche

not ford

not chevy

not honda

...the fact that it ain't cheap makes us better than regular folk...at least at the track :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by edevlin
Is there any reason the ECU's are so expensive? Is it price gouging or is there really that much technology involved.

Ed

:cheers:

Adam 12-30-2008 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred Demara
one word...porsche

not ford

not chevy

not honda

...the fact that it ain't cheap makes us better than regular folk...at least at the track :)

Porsche elitism = :barf:

Fred Demara 12-30-2008 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
Porsche elitism = :barf:

very sorry the humor went over your head.... :p