Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 02:00 PM   #1

Locking System

I have a 1998 Boxster that I only have one key too. The key I have doesnt have the fob on it it looks like a vallet key or because it doesnt have a chip in it or anything. When I go to lock the car with the key from the driver door it everything locks fine but when I try to unlock the car with the key from the door it wont unlock. I have to go to the passenger door and unlock it and only that door will unlock then I have to go inside and put the key in and press the unlock on the dash. All the doors and trunks lock and unlock fine from the button on the dash. What could be causing this? If I got a new key from the dealer that has the keyless remote on it would that work to lock and unlock my car? How can I tell if the sensor that recieves the signal from the key (I am assuming it is that piece in the middle of the dash by the windshield) works??? Thanks for any help!!!

P-51 Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #2

You have what is called the 'spare key". The head of the key does have a chip in it. If the car starts, then the car has the key progrmmed into it.

It sounds like the drivers door has an issue with the key lock...look to see how to replace / repair the lock.

New keys have to come from the dealer and when it arrives from Porsche, the dealer has to program the car to the new key. I am delaying buying a spare key myself due to the cost... $150 for the blade and $150 for the remote head.