Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2008, 01:28 PM   #1

Rear window replacement/repair

Well the rear window on my 2001 Boxster S went out the other day. The car is currently in the garage with some tape over the cracks and needs to have the window replaced or repaired. Unfortunately this happened at a very bad time financially and so I am looking for the most cost effective way to fix the problem. I have found replacement tops for anywhere from $550 to $1100. I am not sure how hard it is to do the labor yourself. I also found this product http://www.emiata.com/BoxsterWindow.htm and am wondering if anyone has any experience with it.

pgvinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:53 PM   #2

Ignore that glue-on replacement crap. It will look GHETTO.

Call some upholstery shops in your area - these will be who can replace the plastic window only. If your top is in good shape otherwise, it may be more economical to have a new window sewn in. The top does have to be removed to do so, but the shops that do this are familiar with the procedure.

That said, I did replace my top myself. The original top after 6 years and poor maintenance was not worth salvaging. There are DIY instructions if you search for Mike Focke's Boxster Pages. Those are the DIY instructions I used.

My top is a Robbins glass window top. IIRC it was around $700. Doing it myself was... really a ********************. It's tough to do, but it IS doable. On a difficulty scale of 1-10, I'd give it an 8.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgvinter
I also found this product http://www.emiata.com/BoxsterWindow.htm and am wondering if anyone has any experience with it.
Been there, did the fix myself with a similar kit. It is a lot of work, much more than I had anticipated. I would recommend you find a shop willing to stitch in a new window with the canvas still on the frame. The entire convertible top (canvas & frame) is surprisingly easy to remove. Most shops want to remove the canvas from the frame, that is where it gets expensive.

See also:
DYI rear plastic window.

Cracked Plastic

Replacing plastic back window '01 Boxster's Top

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:37 PM   #4

Remove the top and sew in a new plastic window. I charge $525.00. $410.00 labor to install Robbins or GAHH top. 973-635-3443
Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:36 PM   #5

I paid 600.00 a year or so ago to have a new window sewn into my top. Made a huge differerence as it is bright and clear. I did not have the cash for a new top at the time and my original top was in OK condition. Now I wish I would have sprung for a new top with a glass window. Even though I like the large clear plastic window, it is a huge pain to get out to do the chop when I am putting the top down.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:07 PM   #6

I paid only about $1300 for a new GAHH top with glass and defroster about 6 months ago. Well worth it. If possible, I recommend waiting (if you can) until you can afford to get the new top with glass window. You won't be sorry.
Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:07 AM   #7

I claimed mine under insurance.

Said it was vandalism (said someone stuck something through it and made a hole)

New roof from Porsche!!! but still no glass

Past Cars
2006 MB C180k
2005 Peugeot 306
1980 928
2004 Subaru Liberty GT
2000 Nissan Pulsar SSS
smagerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:50 AM   #8

I also want to replace my plastic window on my 2001 Boxster S due to age and a recent cold weather crack. I suspect that $450 quote by a professional auto upholstery business in Denver who has done then before with great results seems a reasonable price base don what I have read in this thread and the archives. I am going to set an appointment for mid January. Bob - C Springs, CO

Motobob is offline   Reply With Quote