Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 09:48 AM   #1

Wondering about "the hate"

Last weekend I had my first encounter with "the hate". I ran to the post office to mail Christmas cards. I was in there for about 3 minutes. When I came out I noticed - and I'm not sure how I noticed with all the salt on the car - that somebody had graced the rear bumper with a nasty wad of phlegm. No big deal. Since it hadn't frozen yet, I cleaned it off as soon as I got home.

That got me thinking about "the hate" though. What do you guys think it is? I know it's all about jealousy, but why? IMO, the people who are haters are so because they see these cars as status symbols only. They don't realize that some of us don't care about them as a status symbol, we bought them because they are fun, have great performance for the $, and are well built.

My wife works with a person whom I think would be a hater if she wasn't as financially well off as she is. She drives a BMW. Her husband drives an Audi. When I was talking about buying a Porsche, I mentioned another guy who works for the company who owns one. Her response was something like, "That guy races his Porsche. What a poser." So she and her husband both drive performance cars, but think people who take a performance car to the track are posers. For her, it's all about status I think.

Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #2

Quote:
That guy races his Porsche. What a poser.
I feel like thats a lot of people buy Porsches...they do race or they think it may be fun to have a car that could theoretically be raced with little prep. If I wanted a nice looking fast car for Porsche money and didn't even think about racing I would get an Audi s or rs series or one of the many ridiculously fast Mercedes/AMG models for the increased practicality

What would the guy even be posing as? someone who owns a race car?

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:31 PM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Life is short and there is an over abundance of small minds in this world. I can't be bothered by those who don't get it.

On the other hand, I might have felt that way about country music at one time. The lyrics were just SO sappy, twangy guitars, and that beat... Argh!!!

Last week I bought Brad Paisley "Play". That guy really tears up that Telecaster and I like it. Stuff happens. People change.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:05 AM   #4

I'll hold my opinion about religion, politics and music to myself.
But cars:
If you drive a Chevy Pick-up ... someone will write Go Ford.
Drive a Mustange, you'll get the "Get a Camero" statement.
A Bemmer... buy a Benz.
Cannodale, get a Trek.
Mack..... Peterbuilt
So someone will always look with envy or hate, because their shallow and simple.

At least with the Porsche... Well, there is no substitute.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:31 AM   #5
EE3racing

My 2 cents..... Porsches represent elitism to many, which I suppose in a strange way is a complement to the good doctor. As things get worse and people lose jobs they will become even more angry. Many have no safe place to deposit their angst so they take it out anonymously. Be glad it was a loogie and not the end of a key. I won't take my car to bars or restaurants unless it's an outdoor affair where I can keep an eye on it, then again we all have insurance...
Old 12-24-2008, 05:56 AM   #6

During the depression, some wealthy people bought outrageously ostentagious (sp?) cars. But many dressed and drove cheap in public to avoid the stigma of being rich.

While many of us know that the Boxster does not need to be an expensive car the general public think its very expensive. When my sister-in-law saw my new base Boxster she asked, "how much did that cost, $90K?" So we are "stuck" with a car that the general public thinks only rich people can afford. I suspect that as this recession deepens we will see more and more haters and more random acts of vandalism.
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:23 AM   #7
EE3racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by renzop
During the depression, some wealthy people bought outrageously ostentagious (sp?) cars. But many dressed and drove cheap in public to avoid the stigma of being rich.

While many of us know that the Boxster does not need to be an expensive car the general public think its very expensive. When my sister-in-law saw my new base Boxster she asked, "how much did that cost, $90K?" So we are "stuck" with a car that the general public thinks only rich people can afford. I suspect that as this recession deepens we will see more and more haters and more random acts of vandalism.

Sadly, I agree, it's probably a safe bet larceny will skyrocket too, people are going to do what they will to eat....
Old 12-24-2008, 06:29 AM   #8

I've always said that it's yuppies that give Porsches and BMWs a bad name. The cars themselves are driver oriented and fun for people like us to drive.

I hate the default excuse of jealousy for some reason. Sometimes it could be, but it's pure stupidity/ignorance before it's jealousy.

Stories of haters pop up from time to time and I always tend to wonder if all the facts are presented. Like did the person take up two spots, park in a handicap spot, or drive loudly/quickly through the parking lot, etc.? I'm not accusing anyone of doing these things in these posts, but it is a thought that crosses my mind. Sometimes hater's acts are provoked by something, sometimes not.

It's frustrating, and something some of us have to deal with from time to time.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Agreed, and I hope not.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:34 AM   #10

Garage
Reason for Random Vandalism

It's a way for people to express to us what they’re going through, a way for us to feel their pain, the pain of not having everything you want because they can't afford it. They think we get everything we want because we have a non-practical luxury item, a Porsche, in these economic hard times. It also doesn't help it not being American made.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 12-24-2008 at 06:37 AM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:09 AM   #11

Simple minds, do simple things !
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:34 AM   #12

I think it's something waay less sinister than being discussed here.

The poor guy just 'hocked a loogey' and it landed on your car - the end!

Happy Holidays everyone!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #13
Bry

Quote:

(emphasis mine)
I agree with you 100%, and like the word "ostentagious" ... It's a sort of wild outgoing enthusiasm, and it's communicable. That's how I try to live. Another car board I frequent has had an ongoing thread discussing hiding the car from friends and/or family, and I think they were about 50/50 split on the issue. I see these cars as a hobby, a fun outlet. I've always done my best to share the passion with others, and don't hesitate to toss my keys to a trusted family member, friend, or co-worker who has expressed genuine interest. I've even taken complete strangers for a spin on occasion. Rarely - only a tiny handful of times, but it still felt awesome - a test drive of one of my cars has become a new car purchase... Here's to keeping that ostentagious-ness alive!
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:32 PM   #14

As Jeremy Clarkson once said, "Porsche's are driven by cocks." It's that reputation that ruins it for everyone I guess.

In my opinion, especially in the Boxster range, I think the cocks and posers drive 350Z's and Mustangs (I realize its not the same range, but close enough).
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:44 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to PSL-Boxster
the most recent "hate" ive experienced that i can think of is the notion of the boxster as "The Poor Man's Porsche".. sure its at the bottom of the spectrum for the price and status (compared to a 911 or a cgt to the mass public) but as all of you, and myself included, believe its the best bang for the buck out of the lineup.

But come to think of it.. arent slk's and TT's at the bottom of Their perspective lineups? and where is the hate for them?.. if it exists, i havnt heard much of it
PSL-Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:50 PM   #16
EE3racing

Lordblood,

I believe genuine people and A holes come in both sexes, all colors, from every cultural background and drive every car available. IMO, the decay of my country has a lot to do with all of us trying to judge each other on criteria that means diddly. I'll never own a Mustang but I do like looking at them, especially when someone has one shined up nicely.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EE3racing
Lordblood,

I believe genuine people and A holes come in both sexes, all colors, from every cultural background and drive every car available. IMO, the decay of my country has a lot to do with all of us trying to judge each other on criteria that means diddly. I'll never own a Mustang but I do like looking at them, especially when someone has one shined up nicely.
Hey I'm not trying to say all Mustang owners are posers. Both the Mustang and 350z are cars I like to see on the road. I'm just trying to say, I don't see why the Boxster gets so much of the hate when there are cars like those around being modded up and street raced around. I rarely see Boxsters being street raced, but I frequently get a Mustang come by and drop a few gears and try to race.
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #18

A week after I got my car I got a taste of what it's like to have a hated car, someone keyed it. I just shrug it off now, you always get the looks and I'm reminded of this video and it just makes me laugh as I speed away.

3/4 of the way through, oh and it does contain EXPLICIT LANGUAGE.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQRbDSwZIME
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 06:38 AM   #19

Garage
Yellowboxster01,

Now that was funny!
Old 12-25-2008, 06:47 AM   #20

Small mind equals small output.

There are always folks who cannot tolerate the fact that someone else MAY have it better than they do. Or, someone else's taste runs to some other form of possession.

Go figure?

Hey, it is just a car, get over it and move on with you life! If you have to key a car or in some other way deface someone else's property, man, you are one sad individual. Ditto judging folks by their possessions.

Hey, I ride a Sportster. Tons of folks have all kinds of opinions, pro and con about the bike. To me, unless you are paying for it, your opinion is just that. If you want to pay for me to ride the bike, I will listen to you intently.

Merry Christmas!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote