Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2008, 05:33 AM   #1

Silver face gauges hard to see at night?

Hi all,
I now have a small collection of instrument clusters in my quest to have enough parts to make a decent one. One of the units had silver face dials so I installed those. They look great during the day, but at night they are difficult to see.
All the bulbs are lit, but they are pretty dark compared to the LCD lights.

Are there any 'bright white' bulbs to replace these with or is that something that is
inherent to the silver gauges?

Thanks
Chris

Old 12-23-2008, 08:40 AM   #2

I haven't noticed any problems with the silver faces on my S and I usually keep my gauge lights pretty low. Can you adjust the lights? Could there be something going on with the photocell that auto dims and brightens the gauges?

There was an earlier post that listed a supplier of DIY LED replacements. I thought about replacing mine with blue LEDs but they didn’t have a kit for the radio that I saw. It would probably look pretty goofy with everything blue but the radio.
tamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:26 AM   #3

Thanks. I found some on eBay so I ordered them. I'll just put in the ones behind the cluster to try to brighten it up. I'll let you know how it works out.
Thanks
Chris